Elias
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Local Time: 03:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Solomwi
Good thought, WS.

I don't use the editor nearly enough for actual games. There are a couple different mods I'm working on here and there, but I'm starting to suspect they're more for the fun of creating them than any intention I have of ever playing them.

Lately I have been spending more time modding then playing. I guss we are just in search of the perfect game.
Old October 16, 2003, 00:09   #62
Elias
Warlord

I think this is all the Ideas tell me if i am missing some

1 Unit trading
2. Improved resource trading (one of my favoriats)
3. Unit tougher aginst certin other units(my Idea)
4.Improved UN (one of my favoriates)
5.Improved unit stacking
6.Improved unit costs
7.Navel Leaders
8.AI uses transports and carriers better(my Idea)
9.Pool food supply
10. Improved Senario editor

I think I missing a few but thoes are the big ones.
Old October 16, 2003, 00:13   #63
Elias
Warlord

here are a few more i thought up

11. Pirateing goods (this would work well with the improved resources)

12. Do somthing about captured cities revolting

13.Civil wars(I just remberd this one)Where did you think the U.S came from? without this europe would still be roman
Old October 16, 2003, 01:52   #64
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:27
One for MP perhaps.

Being able to trade world maps - territory map.
Perhaps even being able to sell selected parts.

Being able to draw on the map. I hate it when in PBEM I start to 'place' (not yet existing) settlers to forget where I wanted them when they do get build.
I find it a drag to do your city-planning in PBEM, that's all.
I don't wan't much though, a coloured dot would do the trick
Old October 16, 2003, 02:27   #65
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Print Screen - open graphic program - paste - put colored dots - save

--Woody Allen
Old October 16, 2003, 03:24   #66
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yeah I know..

But that's a bit like raising chikens in your 5th floor appartment because your local supermarket doesn't (want to) sell eggs, init..
Old October 16, 2003, 04:16   #67
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

What's wrong with rasing chickens in your 5th floor apartment?

You're right, it'd be a nice addition.
And trading "rest of the world" map would be just awesome
--Woody Allen
Old October 17, 2003, 00:58   #68
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:27
Quote:
rember operation overloard?
England was the biggest aircraft carrier the Allies ever put into battle.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old October 18, 2003, 00:31   #69
Margim
Settler

Local Time: 10:27
I'd like to see rivers become more interesting - with small, 1 unit capacity transports able to travel them. Bridges or fording points become essential for all wheeled/mounted units to cross. Possibly also have rivers counted as part of you trade network.
Old October 18, 2003, 05:18   #70
Underseer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:27
I would love to have certain city improvements tied to government type. For instance, if you switch to communism, all your stock exchanges get sold or destroyed.

It would be fun to have add other city improvements that can't be had under this or that government.
Old October 18, 2003, 20:42   #71
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 06:27
a)I'd like to see a remodeled air war with SAM's damaging units instead of automatically detroying an air unit

B) Fleets and Air Wings (air armies)
C) Cruisers (A pacific WW2 scenerio without them is impossible)
D) Destroyers that detect subs
E) Canal SW (Panama or Suez, either will do)
F) Carrier specific aircraft
G) Radar Arty should be mobile
H) Strategic Bombers
I) A real Stealth fighter
J) Wonder Video's
K) WLTK Music when your cities have a WLTK day. (I miss this the most from CIV 2)
L) Unit adavantages/disadvantages (e.g. X2 v. Missles with Aegis cruiser, or Pikemen V. Horse units)
M) Attack & ASW Helicopters
N) Rome should be Industrial and Commercial, Persia should be Scientific/Militaristic, UU's should have ratings switched as well.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old October 19, 2003, 07:05   #72
spy14
Prince

Certain units being more effective against certain other units - this has been implemented in games at least since Comand and Conquer first appeared

Spearman Vs Tank - This has always been a sticking point. In an even battle the Spearman shouldnt even take a HP off the tank. If the spearmen were to ambush a group of tanks they should get the chance to remove 1HP, but would then be quickly beaten by the tanks guns (I cant see them stabbing more than one tank to death )

Spearman vs Rifleman - Spearman ambushes rifleman, theres going to be some casualties but a clear rifleman win. The rifleman should take LESS casualties when attacking the spearman, as they should then be able to maintain a safe distance.

Spearman Vs Pikeman - The spearman should be stronger in defense in this encounter, as opposed to only having a chance in attack in the above 2 examples, as the fighting styles/weaponry of these 2 units are the same.

Air to Air - One or the other dosnt HAVE to be destroyed. Many planes limped home in WW2 and such conflicts with 200+ bullet holes in them.

Battleship Vs Frigate/Ironclad - Many a time I have lost Battleship HP's to one of these units. Even if a frigate or Ironclad got within firing range (unlikely in the extreme), the pop guns on board would do nothing more than scratch the Battleships paintwork.

AEGIS/Carrier Vs Battleship - AEGIS and Carrier have Ship to Ship and Air to Ship missiles. Battleships had big guns. Battleship sunk before getting into range.

And so on and so on - I think this would be a great feature in Civ4. At the very least it would stop my tank rush strategy
Old October 19, 2003, 10:34   #73
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

Here's how I think of combat when I'm up against really outdated enemy units.

Those aren't spearmen, they are partisans with AK-47s, molotov cocktails and RPG-7's. The Vietcong were spearmen units (eh, maybe pikemen)

Those aren't ironclads, they are PT boats with 21inch torpedoes. Sometimes PT boats get lucky.

This helps me suspend my disbelief when I lose a tank to a hilltop pikeman. Good shot, Tito...
Old October 19, 2003, 10:50   #74
SSBLoveU
Warlord

My top ten

1. Moving men as a company in one move (This is not like an Army. The units are still single.)
2. Classes of civilians, rich, poor, middle class
3. Tunnels and dungeons including storage of traded items and resources and underground factories (captured resources etc.)
4. Development of weapons on naval ships
5. Dog fighting in air battles and air squads (i.e., 20 B2 bombers are packed together with 15 fighters are stronger than one bomber)
6. Wild wolf attacks and so on (not just human barbarians)
7. Better market places and the ability to cut off trade and protect it.
8. Better AI and time management
9. Better graphics
10. How do we communicate with other civilizations? Intercepted messengers (Telephone few minutes, messenger two turns)

One can imagine how this list can be expanded

Last edited by SSBLoveU; October 19, 2003 at 16:46.
Old October 19, 2003, 11:11   #75
spy14
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Turrosh Mak
Here's how I think of combat when I'm up against really outdated enemy units.

Those aren't spearmen, they are partisans with AK-47s, molotov cocktails and RPG-7's. The Vietcong were spearmen units (eh, maybe pikemen)

Those aren't ironclads, they are PT boats with 21inch torpedoes. Sometimes PT boats get lucky.

This helps me suspend my disbelief when I lose a tank to a hilltop pikeman. Good shot, Tito...
Everyone seems to take this in different ways, maybe its time for the developers to clarify this? If they know themselves of course
Old October 19, 2003, 11:18   #76
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
I would like the U.N. to have more options too, but how would you implement resolutions and sanctions to civ3?
I would like to second this one. I feel a little sadden with the end game options in general. The space race and other features such as the UN could be much more exciting. The end game ought to be a highlight, and not a thought of "Oh Boy! I can start a new game."
Old October 19, 2003, 15:32   #77
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 11:27
A small one, but on top of my list:

If another civ captures one of my cities, and I'm able to recapture it on my next turn, this shouldn't trigger the other civ's mutual protection pacts.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 19, 2003, 18:25   #78
Grim Legacy
Prince

Surprised to see that event scripting didn't make it even after all this time, these patches and an add-on pack.

Anyway- I'm enjoying actually playing the regular game for now, with few grieves built up so far.

Maybe a little unit tweaking would be nice. I don't believe in Explorers for instance, and piracy (Privateer) isn't terribly exciting either. I realize that last one could result in exploits, but there has to be a way to make it more interesting than this 2-attack weakling unit that is chased by priority as well.
Also I have the feeling that some units come to be so late in the game to be almost worthless; alternatively, space ship techs could be postponed a bit.

So I guess I came up with a taste of the myriad of small changes I personally would like to see. Ah well.
Old October 19, 2003, 18:54   #79
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I have been a single-issue whiner for unit-trading for a long time now, and I'll continue to be one until worms eat my eyeballs.
(or until they implement it at last )
Old October 19, 2003, 19:12   #80
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Don't feel bad about it, Spiffor ! I tend to focus on Unit Trading and 'Commodity Trading' Myself! From what I've read about Conquests, though, it appears that I might be able to mod in a....limited form of intra-Civ Commodity trading via the reverse capture the flag idea!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.
Old October 19, 2003, 19:25   #81
Xorbon
Prince

Another thing I would like to see improved is sea unit movement rates. It's annoying how a ship can take 20+ turns to circle the globe!

I suppose you could just mod the movement rates to be much higher, but that creates other problems. For one, exploration would be way too quick. For another, it would be too difficult to defend your coastlines against bombardments and landings.

I guess what I'm saying is, it would be nice if they could find a way to have movement rates higher, but without the drawbacks.
Old October 19, 2003, 20:23   #82
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Xorbon:
I have modded my game so that ship movement is higher, and it isn't unbalancing at all. What you have to do is to keep ancient ships at low speed (4 moves a turn for me), and to boost modern ships at high speed (15 moves a turn for me). The progression between both extremes should be exponential, but not too steep.
Sea exploration is generally well underway when you have navigation anyway, so you don't have to bother about this for every boat discovered past Navigation
Old October 19, 2003, 20:34   #83
Outsider
Settler

They could make water tile move costs = 0 if it meets the following criteria :

1) It is within your borders
2) It is within the borders of a civ you have a RoP with
3) It is not within any civ's borders.
4) Your ship has no survival issues ending its turn in it
5) No unexplored territory will be revealed by your ship moving there.

Basically, explored open ocean and friendly coastline all have rail.

If it still proves to be too hard to defend one's coasts, they could have foreign, non RoP squares count as "unexplored" even when they have been for criteria #5.

So if your border extends (say) 3 tiles from the coast, foreign non-RoP bearing ships with a 2 range visibility would start expending move points 5 tiles out.

One couls also make it so ships of actively hostile nations exert a move-cost inducing ZOC within their bombardment range, and get passing shots if one tries to just sail on by.
Old October 19, 2003, 21:13   #84
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hi Guys,

I have the following suggestions of how to balance up land and sea movement-especially in the Industrial age and beyond!

1) When moving along a RR, entering a city costs either 1 MP, or ALL MP's remaining!

2) When travelling along a RR, a unit cannot attack, but can only defend! In order to attack a unit, the unit travelling on the RR tile must first move onto a non-RR tile!

OK, from the naval end.

1) This first one, I believe, can already be modded! Give Coastal, Sea and Ocean tiles a movement cost of 1, 2 and 3, respectively. Massively increase Movement rates for ALL naval units, but have most ancient units pay the movement cost for travelling in sea and Ocean squares, Middle Ages units ignore Movement Costs of Sea Squares, and Industrial Units Ignore ALL movement costs. Late Industrial and Modern units Treat all terrain as roads-given them a movement of 3x normal!! This should eliminate the problems of 20+ turn circumnavigation, whilst still limiting the ocean-going capacity of galleys and caravels!!

2) The second suggestion is on my 'wish-list', and that is the ability to 'rebase' naval units between friendly cities, that possess a commercial dock and/or port facility, within X squares of each other (with no cost to movement). In addition, it should be possible to build a Naval Base terrain improvement, to which you can rebase naval units (for those big, ocean-going journeys)!

Anyway, just a few ideas. I'd like to know what you all think !!
Old October 19, 2003, 21:43   #85
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 05:27
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
1) This first one, I believe, can already be modded! Give Coastal, Sea and Ocean tiles a movement cost of 1, 2 and 3, respectively. Massively increase Movement rates for ALL naval units, but have most ancient units pay the movement cost for travelling in sea and Ocean squares, Middle Ages units ignore Movement Costs of Sea Squares, and Industrial Units Ignore ALL movement costs. Late Industrial and Modern units Treat all terrain as roads-given them a movement of 3x normal!! This should eliminate the problems of 20+ turn circumnavigation, whilst still limiting the ocean-going capacity of galleys and caravels!!
The BTM mod did something like this and it worked very well. I like how yours works even better. It would make for a very fast paced naval game. The only problem is intercepting those fast moving modern era fleets.
Old October 20, 2003, 04:06   #86
Frem
Settler

Random Events
Better diplomacy
News Report
Political system something like GalCiv
For Civ4 i would add 3D as well
Old October 20, 2003, 04:26   #87
alva
Deity

No need for 3D, I'd rather use the CPU cycles for a better AI.
Old October 20, 2003, 06:27   #88
Grim Legacy
Prince

I'm not too charmed by ideas that might be interesting an sich, but would also complicate the game with additional rules and exceptions. I think this goes for the "only defend on RR" idea, for example.

I did think of another trivial thing to improve, so I'll throw it in for good measure: improve the horrible sound effects & background music!
Old October 20, 2003, 18:28   #89
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker

2) The second suggestion is on my 'wish-list', and that is the ability to 'rebase' naval units between friendly cities, that possess a commercial dock and/or port facility, within X squares of each other (with no cost to movement). In addition, it should be possible to build a Naval Base terrain improvement, to which you can rebase naval units (for those big, ocean-going journeys)!

Anyway, just a few ideas. I'd like to know what you all think !!
A lot needs to be done with Naval units. I like the rebase idea. I usually use an island for these things. However, when there is no more free land to occupy, it is difficult to help my allies.
Old October 20, 2003, 18:41   #90
planetfall
Prince

1. worker governor
We have a city governor, why not have a worker governor so we can automate workers for faster play time and yet order their improvement preferences.

2. Display turn # and not just year

3. option to display sea/land trade routes

4. change trading so trading is based on value to AI receiving trade item and not to civ giving trade item

5. Dare I say Civ4

-- PF