Old October 15, 2003, 11:31   #31
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 12:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Puzzling post, Cookie monster.

On the yellow car, you sure it's a Ferrari?
Yes, I'm sure. You can search the web for "Enzo Ferrari" and you will find it. It's their newest model. I know it should be red, but ...
--Woody Allen
Old October 15, 2003, 11:36   #32
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 06:35
The GT40 is beautiful. It's my favorite car ever. If I had the money I'd buy it.
Old October 15, 2003, 11:49   #33
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 03:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Isn't the Viper about $60K?
The Viper sells for $83,795 - $84,795. Caddie is currently sells a $80,000 sports car and they are supposed to come out with a $100,000+ V-16 powered sedan soon too.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 15, 2003, 12:05   #34
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Cookie Monster
American workers are too busy thinking about weekend partying and drinking to be concerned about job quality.
That's just plain ignorant. Honda Accords made in Ohio normally have fewer defects then Accords made in Japan. Honda likes them so much they export some of their models (especially the Accord Coupe) around the world and even back to Japan. BMW's Spartenburg, SC factory also normally exceeds the quality of German made BMWs.

The truth is the important part isn't where a car is made but how a car is made. There are great cars made all over the place and to say "I will never buy any car manufactured in country X because my 20 year old beater did preform as well as a new car" is just plain stupid. Did you know that Buicks consistently score higher on quality ratings and have fewer defects/mechanical problems then Hondas or Nissans? Did you know that Caddies have fewer problems then Toyotas? I admite it's unfair to compare a $60,000 Caddie to a $25,000 Toyota since the expensive car has a lot more money to spend on quality checks but I'm trying to show you several America designed & built as well as American built and foreign designed cars which are excellent.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.

Last edited by Oerdin; October 15, 2003 at 12:51.
Old October 15, 2003, 12:09   #35
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Dad's Ford was great. I don't know what are you talking about.
I own a 1994 Ford Probe with 145,000 miles on the odometer. It's never left me stranded on the side of a road and has always started every time I turned the key.

Of course I always made sure the suggested maintance was done on time including changing the oil, plugs, belts, etc... when I was supposed to. It's amazing how many ignorant people there are out there with 50,000 miles on there car who've never bothered to change the oil or have the required maintance done yet they still complain what a POS there car is when it breaks down. If the car is abused then of course it will break however if you take care of it then you might have found it an excellent car.
Old October 15, 2003, 12:25   #36
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:35
Quote:
Really, I don't know what you have against Fords. the Mondeo was a great solid family car, for example.
Just a pity it didn't sell.

3000 people (and probably more over the coming years ( 6000 more?)) just lost their job because the mondeo did so poorly.
Old October 15, 2003, 12:44   #37
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 11:35
Are you sure? I thought the Mondeo sold like hot cakes.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old October 15, 2003, 13:01   #38
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 13:35
Yeah, me too. Mondeo was BBC's car of the year, or something a couple of years ago.
Old October 15, 2003, 13:15   #39
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

150k for a freakin Ford?

hell no!

for that money, one could buy an Aston DB7, Porsche 911, a Mercedes AMG or whatever other top brand. Why anyone that rich would buy a Ford is beyond me.
Old October 15, 2003, 13:54   #40
Oerdin
Deity

I'd like to point out the astronomical prices people are willing to pay for a vintage 1960's Ford Cobra. In fact so many people want one but can't afford an original that there are several dozen companies all manufacturing kit cars designed to look like the Cobra. Classic Caddies (20's & 30's editions), Lincolns, Duesenburgs, Auburns, Pierce-Arrows, Packards, and the like routinely sell for millions so there is demand for up market American cars.
Old October 15, 2003, 14:00   #41
Az
Emperor

Brands are misleading. For example, a Mazda 6 could take on the nice German cars. But since it's a Mazda, the price tag is much lower ( That's why it's such a great deal, btw. )
Old October 15, 2003, 14:09   #42
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 05:35
mazda is also a third owned by ford.
Old October 15, 2003, 14:13   #43
Saint Marcus
King

A car like this is a status symbol. Having the label "ford" or "mazda" on it, lowers it's value, and it's status, and it's appreciation. And if someone wants to spend 150k on a car, they want the brand name to go with it.
Old October 15, 2003, 15:25   #44
Az
Emperor

Nah. It still is a sports car, though a 2nd tier one, and that's why it costs 150k, and not 500k.

150k is quite affordable, if you make a small fortune, and enjoy cars.
Old October 15, 2003, 15:32   #45
Saint Marcus
King

still, for that money, one could buy a Porsche or an Aston.

If someone has 150k to spend, and only 150k, and they want a special car, most would go for a brand that delivers status, on top of performance.

but yeah, I can see people buying it as a second or third car, providing they are extremely wealthy.

and even if they want to buy American (stupid as it may sound), they're better of settling for a Viper or Corvette.
Old October 15, 2003, 16:02   #46
Az
Emperor

Have you actually compared performances?

Believe me, If one wants to peniswave with a car, this car is a fine car to peniswave with. If you'll arrive with it, you'll be treated with just as much fake respect as you would had you arrived on a porche.

It's so obviously screaming "Expensive sports car". I also like the design a lot.
Old October 15, 2003, 17:47   #47
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 05:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Cookie Monster

The Japanese have an admirable discipline and work ethic. I trust the quality of their products.

Don't ever buy american.
Do you have any idea of how many of those wonderful Japanese cars are built here in the US of A?
Old October 15, 2003, 17:53   #48
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
A car like this is a status symbol. Having the label "ford" or "mazda" on it, lowers it's value, and it's status, and it's appreciation. And if someone wants to spend 150k on a car, they want the brand name to go with it.
I'm not sure this is always the case especially with the super rich. You see what the super rich are looking for in a $150,000 car isn't a label. What they are looking for is exclusivity.

What good is it to have a Ferrari or a Porche when every millionare on your block has one too? Since Ford is selling only 1000 of these GTs it is highly unlikely he'll run into anyone else who has one and so instead of being seen as just another pretensious ****er with more money then sense he will instead be a daring individualist who seeks performance and value.

Last edited by Oerdin; October 15, 2003 at 18:03.
Old October 15, 2003, 17:57   #49
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
Do you have any idea of how many of those wonderful Japanese cars are built here in the US of A?
The majority of them. Subaru, Toyota, Nissan, Suzuki, Isuzu, Honda, and Mitsubishi all have factories making cars in the US to avoid currency fluctuations, transportation costs, to appease regulators, and inorder to decrease the amount of time it takes to deliver a car from time of order to time of delivery.
Old October 15, 2003, 18:05   #50
Az
Emperor

only a thousand of those?