Old October 15, 2003, 00:17   #1
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 20:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Suggestion for diplomancy
Common themes with diplomancy are.

Quote:
Where the heck is the ambassador.
Quote:
Whoops I lost the diplomatic message.
Quote:
What did you send?
Sooorry I didn't save it.
Quote:
Sorry that guy was away so we didn't get the message.
Quote:
I guess my box was full.
I'm proposing that when we do diplomancy four people (including yourself) should be getting the message.

1. The ambassador of the other faction.
2. The turn player of the other faction.
3. The ambassador of your faction.
4. The turn player of your faction.

Hopefully this will help prevent diplomatic blunders. The cycon/pirates aren't the only ones to have diplomatic communication problems.

Of course you are all free to ignore me. However, I hope people can see this will help to solve some of the problems that are being experienced.
Old October 15, 2003, 00:31   #2
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 03:35
If you want to add the CMN to that list I'm okay with that.

That way I can pop a post in the receiving faction's forum that there's an e-mail or PM in transmission

G.
Old October 15, 2003, 06:32   #3
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 11:35
Quote:
I'm proposing that when we do diplomancy four people (including yourself) should be getting the message.

1. The ambassador of the other faction.
2. The turn player of the other faction.
3. The ambassador of your faction.
4. The turn player of your faction.
Sounds reasonable but you only have to look back over the turn thread to find examples where it wouldn't have worked and didn't work. Secondly there is a danger that 'but I sent a copy to Googlie' would enter the lexion of excuses.

Thirdly, it seems to me those themes mentioned above, rightly or wrongly, are used in lots of pbem games as part of the currency. It's whether you believe the replies or answers is the key.

'just as I was about to play the turn, my parrot walked across the keyboard and accidently deleted the second follow-up email from you, which you claim reversed the previous poll position. So I played the turn based on the first email. Please forgive us'

' Just as I was about to vote for you for Planetary Governor, as agreed, our Gorilla pressed escape and crashed the game'. When we reopened the game we discovered its big toe seems to have voted for your rival'. Please forgive us. Heres 5 ecs compensation.'

'But we told you, following discussions in our faction ,we decided that key positions would rotate every 4 hours 23 minutes and 15 secs. (Kody can verify that as he monitors faction posting activity with a automatic scanning device). It happened you sent your message to faction members who would not play the turn again for 2 days and 13 hours 12 minutes. I know you sent it to 23 faction members but it was just bad luck that it was the new member's turn to play.'

I am enjoying this but I'd better stop.
Old October 15, 2003, 07:43   #4
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 12:35
I hve the same Problems with my Gorilla.
Just wants to play :=)
Old October 15, 2003, 08:13   #5
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 10:35
Gorilla's are troublesome beasts

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old October 15, 2003, 08:17   #6
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

And we already ask that all communiques are sent to the Prime and External Affairs Function (currently myself and DBTS - changes on the 1st of every month). However as long as it is sent to either Maniac or myself it is bound to end up in our forum, as one of us will be either Prime or EA Function.

Last edited by Drogue; October 15, 2003 at 08:24.
Old October 15, 2003, 13:13   #7
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 05:35
Cap'n/Ambas'dor Flubber started a thread a long time ago when we first started meeting people that was, I believe, intended to be a place where the various players involved in diplomacy could leave their calling cards and which could have served as a place to look for the current representatives, etc from the various factions.

Through disuse, and with the help of all those ACDG-SP threads, it has been dropped well of my forum screen (and off the next 4 or 5 screens as well). If anyone is interested, I think this it is here; I thought about bumping it, but it's got its fair share of spam and I'm not sure if a better vehicle wouldn't be more appropriate anyway. Between the spam, reasonably appropriate posts, and most likely different frequencies of changing officials, it would be hard to find what you were looking for even if everyone did their part and kept it updated.

A centralized, agreed upon thread, topped or not, with its first post kept updated to show the official diplomatic contacts for each faction -and any current absentees and/or altenate contacts- could serve the function without interfering with anyone's ability to spam. Perhaps there is other info that would benefit from being collected into some official repository as well.
Old October 15, 2003, 18:15   #8
Drogue
staff

Sounds like a good idea