Old October 15, 2003, 11:48   #31
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 10:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
I'm interested in learning what he's basing his ruling upon.
How about a mother's request. I see no harm in her learning spanish, but may the mother does. Her reasoning is not for the judge or anyone to decide. This drug felon should be lucky he's allowed to see his kid at all and respect the wishes of the mother.
Old October 15, 2003, 12:14   #32
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Judge Ronald E. Reagan

why do I like everyone named Ronald Reagan?
Cuz yer an idiot?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 15, 2003, 12:16   #33
chequita guevara
Emperor

Wait, I just caught this. "That does not mean that you can't instruct and teach her the Hispanic language." WTF is "the Hispanic language?" Ignorant dumbasses shouldn't be allowed to be judges.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 15, 2003, 12:27   #34
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:36
I dont see what the harm would be for the father to speak Spanish to the girl the few times he see her. It sounds like the mother has full custody, and the girl most likely spends most of her time around people that speak English. This is just stupid. The children that age can pick up many laungues, and if the father speaks spanish it will most likely help her to learn Spanish as well as English. Even people who come to this country and dont speak a word of English, their children often learn English when they are little as well as. I dont see how this will harm the Child.
Old October 15, 2003, 12:28   #35
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Why? The mother's wishes count for nothing?

Also,
To become a U.S. citizen, a prime requirement is to be able to communicate fully in English.
The mother's wishes count for nothing in view of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

All you have to do wrt the naturalization tests is pass the tests in English. There are no further requirements, and there can be no further requirements, in view of that little blurb about "no law abridging freedom of speech"
Old October 15, 2003, 12:35   #36
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
How so? Providing the mother is clean, it seems like a valid reason for her to limit the child's access to her father.
On-going use is, just like alcohol.

Past use is generally not considered an issue.

Then again, there's that whole hypocrisy of the War on DrugsTM. Smoke four packs a day of Pall Malls and drink cheap bourbon until your liver explodes, and that's fine, because those are the drugs of choice of all the self-righteous jackasses in the legislative branches. Smoke a joint or toot a line of coke, and it's off to the slammer, because, my God, man, look at the harm to society! *hic* *coouuuuuggggghhhhhh* *wheeze* Damn druggies anyway, enough to make you have another drink.
Old October 15, 2003, 12:35   #37
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Wait, I just caught this. "That does not mean that you can't instruct and teach her the Hispanic language." WTF is "the Hispanic language?" Ignorant dumbasses shouldn't be allowed to be judges.
Maybe he's a pocho and only speaks Spanglish.
Old October 15, 2003, 12:54   #38
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:36
Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
I think it's quite funny that the judge's name is Ronald Reagan.
exactly his name is Ronald E. Reagan. I would find Ronald W. Reagan funnier, though.

hasta luego.
Old October 15, 2003, 12:54   #39
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 05:36
Quote:

Uh, Sava, I mean, MrFun, I may be an SOB but I'm not ignorant... whatever that means
How dare you confuse me with Sava.
Old October 15, 2003, 14:39   #40
Theben
Deity

Like the kid won't learn English from her peers, mother, and school.
What a stupid judge.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old October 15, 2003, 16:00   #41
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
What a stupid judge
Don't shoot the messenger. It's the mother's fault not Reagans!
Old October 15, 2003, 16:14   #42
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Don't shoot the messenger. It's the mother's fault not Reagans!
It's the judge's fault because he issued the ruling in contradiction to the 1st Amendment.
Old October 15, 2003, 16:20   #43
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

This is a story about absolutely nothing and everyone has switched into hissy mode. It sounds like the judge took a round about way of ruling that nothing has changed. He says the man can't speak Spanish to his child but says he can instruct her in it if he chooses. It seems to be that nothing has changed.

The mom probably isnt too proud of the fact that she has a daughter from a hispanic man and wants to limit contact with that part of her childs heritage. Her daugther speaking spanish would be a reminder of that. If she had her way he problaby wouldnt have any contact with her at all.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old October 15, 2003, 16:32   #44
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 03:36
This seems to be a case where mom and dad are pissed off at each other so mom's sueing dad and is attempting to use the child as a weapon to get back at her ex-husband/ex-boyfriend. Both of these losers should be sterilized to prevent further contamination of the species.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 15, 2003, 16:36   #45
Japher
Emperor

It sounded to me that for this man to see his kid that he needed to agree to mom's guidelines of which one, for some unknown reason, was that he not speak spanish to her, only.

How is the judge making this criminal uphold to the agreement a violation of the 1st Amend.?
Old October 15, 2003, 16:41   #46
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 12:36
It's one thing that people like you are spending some of your free time on this issue. That's OK. It's another that such a stupid case as this takes up time in a court.
Old October 15, 2003, 16:50   #47
Japher
Emperor

Well, Kropotkin, thanks for wasting a few minutes of your oh so precious time for that very insightful comment

Language as a part of customs or culture is, IMO, a very important and interesting topic of conversation. For sometime I have wondered why language translates to custom, and I have never really got a definitive answer. Yet, those who hold that such a relation between the two exist will see this court ruling as a judicial suppression of cultral diversity... Something that I think is huge and not as big a waste of time as one might think.
Old October 15, 2003, 16:51   #48
Kropotkin
Emperor

A few minutes? A type a hell of a lot faster than that!
Old October 15, 2003, 16:54   #49
Japher
Emperor

And, your back!

Did you read any of this thread? Did that take you any time? Or are you a speed reader too Mr. I. Typefast?
Old October 15, 2003, 16:55   #50
Kropotkin
Emperor

And, yes, I can agree with you, to quite an extent, that language is an important part of any culture. I'm not sure that's the real issue here though. It's people showing their ugly side when they take out their personal diffrences over their child and the court system.
Old October 15, 2003, 17:00   #51
Caligastia
Emperor

I don't understand why the language this guy speaks to his daughter is the concern of the court.
Old October 15, 2003, 17:04   #52
Japher
Emperor

It's not a concern of the court. It's a concern of the mother.

The mother set guidelines by which he could see her daughter - speak English.

He violated these guidelines.

The court really could care less about what anybody wants, but when someone agrees to do something and they don't, then the court comes into play. That is what happened, the guy violated his visitation guidelines that were set by the mother, not the court.
Old October 15, 2003, 17:17   #53
Caligastia
Emperor

Surely there must be some kind of limit to the guidelines that the mother can demand. I mean, she could say that he can visit his daughter on the condition that he wear a pink tutu with a dildo strapped to his head and say the word "sasquatch" every 10 seconds.
Old October 15, 2003, 17:19   #54
Japher
Emperor

Yeah, well, I think she held all the cards on this one seeing as she got custody of the child because he was in jail... I probably would of made him do something degrading too.
Old October 15, 2003, 17:28   #55
chequita guevara
Emperor

I think she got custody by default because they were never married. It doesn't say in the article that they were divorced. In that situation, custody issues should either be solved amicably between the parents or by a judge in a lawsuit.
Old October 15, 2003, 17:31   #56
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
By forbidding the man to speak Spanish to her, he is limiting her ability to learn the language and interfering with this man's right to teach his daughter Spanish effectively.
Where is anyone guaranteed this as a right?
Old October 15, 2003, 17:35   #57
yavoon
Warlord

kinda big for a troll thread.
Old October 15, 2003, 17:36   #58
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
Where is anyone guaranteed this as a right?
Amendment 1 of the Constitution of the United States of America.
Old October 15, 2003, 17:41   #59
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press...
I don't see how the freedom of speech guaranteed here, applies to a right to speak a foreign language to another person, much less teach it to them.
Old October 15, 2003, 17:46   #60
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
I don't see how the freedom of speech guaranteed here, applies to a right to speak a foreign language to another person, much less teach it to them.
Do you not understand the concept of speech? It's the noise that comes out of the mouths of people when they attempt to communicate with one another. Speech comes in many forms, including some 5,000 different languages. The 1st Amendment prohbits the goverment from abridging, i.e., limiting, free speech. That means the government is forbidden from telling you what you can or can't say, which includes words, phrases, and sentences from the Spanish language.

Last edited by chequita guevara; October 15, 2003 at 17:51.