Old October 15, 2003, 18:32   #61
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Sorry to ask, but, IIRC, there is no "official language" in US? Or has the English a kind of "offical language" tittle in the Constituion or any of the Amendement?
Old October 15, 2003, 18:53   #62
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 10:36
Quote:
It's the noise that comes out of the mouths of people when they attempt to communicate with one another.
That just sounded funny.

So, Che, if some guy, say a teacher, began teaching your kid that communism was bad and evil and that all the pinko reds should be thrown out of helicopters would you do anything about it?

I don't think it is so much about the language as it is about the mom wanting to regulate how HER daughter is communicated to and what is communicated to her. Personally, I think the mom is nuts. I know I would love to be bilingual. Yet, it is a good parent who censors the childs world from harm, and if a mother thinks speaking spanish to her kid by her father is harmful than so be it, doesn't make sane...

What if the mom doesn't know spanish? How would she know what the father is saying to her daughter? What if he is just a sick-o telling the kid to run away from home, kill your mom, your mom's a beitch, etc... Not really helpful to the mom and kids relationship and not what his visits are suppose to accomplish.

As far as I know English is the official language of the US in that all government documentation, hearing, etc. are done in English or with a X to English tranlator. That should be enough to make it official
Old October 15, 2003, 19:19   #63
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 02:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
It's not a concern of the court. It's a concern of the mother.

The mother set guidelines by which he could see her daughter - speak English.

He violated these guidelines.

The court really could care less about what anybody wants, but when someone agrees to do something and they don't, then the court comes into play. That is what happened, the guy violated his visitation guidelines that were set by the mother, not the court.
Wrong. Absent the court's rules, there are no visitation or custody conditions at all. One parent can not set visitation requirements on another - only the courts can do so. The courts can (in this case) partly agree with what one or the other parents want, or the courts can impose their own rules based on what they perceive to be the best interests of the child.
Old October 15, 2003, 19:21   #64
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by yaroslav
Sorry to ask, but, IIRC, there is no "official language" in US? Or has the English a kind of "offical language" tittle in the Constituion or any of the Amendement?
English is in practice the standard language, but there is no statute or any part of the Constitution which make it an official language.
Old October 15, 2003, 19:30   #65
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher

That just sounded funny.

So, Che, if some guy, say a teacher, began teaching your kid that communism was bad and evil and that all the pinko reds should be thrown out of helicopters would you do anything about it?
Not to answer for Che, but I had a history teacher in high school who had those general views. Of course, it was the early 70's and he was a retired Army colonel, but still.... .

The guy was actually great, because you were free to agree or disagree, and he'd challenge you to explain your views and you could challenge him on his.

Quote:
I don't think it is so much about the language as it is about the mom wanting to regulate how HER daughter is communicated to and what is communicated to her. Personally, I think the mom is nuts. I know I would love to be bilingual. Yet, it is a good parent who censors the childs world from harm, and if a mother thinks speaking spanish to her kid by her father is harmful than so be it, doesn't make sane...
And if I think my child should always wear a tinfoil hat, especially in public, and that his hands should be in heavy insulating gloves all the time to block signals to the NWO jew government's impanted chip under his skin, that may be my view of my kids best wishes, but no court is obligated to give a damn - in fact, they may take the opposite view.

Quote:
What if the mom doesn't know spanish? How would she know what the father is saying to her daughter? What if he is just a sick-o telling the kid to run away from home, kill your mom, your mom's a beitch, etc... Not really helpful to the mom and kids relationship and not what his visits are suppose to accomplish.
What his visits are supposed to accomplish (state custody and visitation laws are modified versions of an unofficial model act) is to maintain a positive relationship between the child and the visiting non-custodial parent. They're not intend to further enforce the world view of the other parent.
Old October 15, 2003, 20:46   #66
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 03:36
this is horrible.

our constitution is crumbling around us.

time to start the revolution
Old October 15, 2003, 20:52   #67
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:36
How the hell did a judge get away with doing this? What's the precedent behind this inane decision?
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon