Old August 29, 2000, 14:53   #31
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 06:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Second Front is still on the workbench being tuned... It takes a long time to make such a scenario... Much longer than I expected.
Soon...maybe 2-3 weeks.
Old August 29, 2000, 17:57   #32
Wangshibo
Chieftain

I know that the Finns offer peace, but I want the SU to get somethin out of the war

I restarted, and I'm now in December 1941. I took Helsiniki 2 months ago, by building cruisers in all the cities up there to smash the defenders and using naval infantry to finish (no pun intended) the place off.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has succeeded in wiping out the finns. To be honest, while Leningrad is around and if you hold that fortress, it doesn't really matter (I think) It's a matter of pride...
Old August 29, 2000, 23:52   #33
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 23:03
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I'm partial to my own scenarios of course, but I must agree with Leonidas. I've spent $40 for entire GAMES that couldn't hold a candle to the excitement inherent in Red Front.

I can vividly recall the first time I played it. The opening months were just awful as I experienced the bludgeoning all RF newbies receive at the hands of the German AI. And then came the first Winter. I tell you, it was almost a mystical experience. The change in unit capabilities, the sense that the overwhelming onslaught was finally ebbing, the new events....all these were great. But the sudden shift to that incredible Winter-Wonderland look....Wow! I spent at LEAST 30 minutes just marveling, all thoughts of play completely forgotten.

Amazing.
Old August 30, 2000, 00:47   #34
Leonidas
King

Captain Nemo:

Verion 1.4 of Red Front is almost a perfect scenario. But it is more than a scenario - it is like playing a grand strategic campaign of the entire war in the east. Believe me, real wargamers are playing this scenario elsewhere on the web, and they are having a blast

The work you and all of your playtesters have put into this scenario shows. Even new games have not been this much fun to play. My compliments on the superb work you have done on this scenario. It is a classic. And like all classics it will be played for a long, long time...

I can't wait to play your "Second Front". Do you anticipate its release in the near future?

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Old August 30, 2000, 01:53   #35
Leonidas
King

Captain Nemo: I can't wait. You realize of course that the day you post "Second Front", is the day the internet is going to have a melt-down from everyone trying to download it

Wangshibo: You love to have fun, don't you... It is such a great scenario to play again, and again. And best of all it's open to so many different strategies, or giving yourself handicaps to make the scenario even tougher. Best of luck on this game.

Kull: I know what you mean: the first time you play this game - you're just not expecting THIS TYPE OF SCENARIO. I mean even the people who designed and put this game together never thought of doing a scenario like this one. The German Blitzkrieg, the winter setting, yeah, I know what you mean... It would probably be a great scenario to play in the winter time, just after the first snowfall, when it's cold outside, and the sun has set early...

June 1945:

My victorious forces have finally captured Berlin and Potsdam. Man, what a series of battles that has been. Hundreds of units were lost on both sides over the past few months.

I am both thrilled and tired; happy it's over, but sad that it had to end. I have experienced the lows of defeat, and the highs of winning. What a great scenario

------------------
[This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited August 30, 2000).]
Old August 30, 2000, 08:41   #36
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:03
Captain Nemo: Since we are or were talking about SF, do you know when the updated playtesting version is coming out? I'm asking because you said there were ajor unit changes and that I wouldn't be able to play my current game with the update.

------------------
"We sought to throw a raging lion ashore; what we got was a stranded whale!" -Winston Curchill on the Battle of Anzio

"Quis custodes ipsos custodiet?" -Juvenal

"I can walk!!" -Dr. Strangelove
Old August 30, 2000, 11:38   #37
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 22:03
Local Date: October 30, 2010
My feelings were different. I felt exhausted and did not want to play it soon. After such a long war people wanted peace!
Old August 30, 2000, 18:35   #38
Shadowstrike
Emperor

As I was playing Red Front, I was wondering why I could build Refugees. Shouldn't they be generated via events?

I haven't played though the entire scenario yet, but it is historical and compelling to play (unforunately, the need to sleep soon set in)
Old August 30, 2000, 22:02   #39
Cal
Prince

Red Front takes a lot of energy to play, every minor detail seems to affect the destiny of the USSR. For example, once I was playing a very good game, and I was determined to finish it without moving the fortified positions around, I kept all of the cities surrounding Moscow after Smolensk and Vitebsk fell, and Rostov and some of the cities forming a buffer around Stalingrad. And I had successfully kept Perekop out of German hands, securing that passage. The only place things were going bad was up north, I was holding back the Finns, but Narva, and Novgorod and all cities before that had fallen by November 1941. Then Summer of 1942 rolled around, and I was confident that I'd be able to hold the germans around Stalingrad, but then when the attack came, I noticed I made one, small, yet very fatal error...

I forgot to build a barracks in Rostov!

Sometimes life is just too harsh...

------------------
-Cal
Old August 30, 2000, 23:36   #40
Captain Nemo
Prince

Anzac: Regarding Second Front... I have been on hold for 6 days due to overwhelming "Real" workload. I will try to download the latest pack (Parts 1-9) tomorrow so you can test it. I will also give you the soundfiles if you want.
My game is on hold at the end of part 7 and the turns are taking a long time like RF due to the large numbers of units to move.
Old August 31, 2000, 09:30   #41
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Nemo,
I understand and I'll try to get the file so I can playtest. How many sound files are there and what are they named?

------------------
"We sought to throw a raging lion ashore; what we got was a stranded whale!" -Winston Curchill on the Battle of Anzio

"Quis custodes ipsos custodiet?" -Juvenal

"I can walk!!" -Dr. Strangelove
Old August 31, 2000, 10:57   #42
Captain Nemo
Prince

Anzac:
The files are there (SF1-4). Of course the last 2 parts haven't been tested at all so there could be bugs
Old September 2, 2000, 01:42   #43
klesh
King

Local Time: 02:03
quote:

Originally posted by Wangshibo on 08-29-2000 05:57 PM
What I'd like to know is if anyone has succeeded in wiping out the finns. To be honest, while Leningrad is around and if you hold that fortress, it doesn't really matter (I think) It's a matter of pride...

I have crushed the Finns and actually moved on to Norway. Generally, my Ural region is so productive that I can alot a dozen cities to the war in the north. Oh, once you take the Finnish capital, no mater what year, they'll offer a ceasefire.

All this RF talk has got me excited. I shall start a new game with Leonidas' parameters. Stay tuned for "A Field Marshal's Trip to the RedFront".

------------------
I am the Ukrainian Anti-Pope!
Old September 2, 2000, 16:57   #44
Leonidas
King

Go get 'em Field Marshal

------------------
[This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited September 02, 2000).]
Old September 3, 2000, 10:35   #45
klesh
King

Local Time: 02:03
Hey, I got some food for thought for you guys. By the time you are assaulting Germany, do any of you guys use the "Rubble" unit to it's full potential? If you will notice, the result of Allied bombing raids are that the industry squares around the German cities are reduced to "rubble". This rubble (although I have yet to check on the game) has a very high defensive value, and is also a Soviet NONE unit! What I've been able to do is use the rubble as a base for my city seiges. They can attack and attack the rubble all day and wont kill it, so you can place your entire force 1 square away from the city (this is especially helpfull during winter seiges because of high movement costs).

Also, Leonidas... To what extent did the Americans participate in your RedFront game? In my last game, they managed to take the second-southernmost Italian city, that's it. They had a decent size force too...Hmmmm....

Anyway, I am very busy now (Friend's wedding today, move back to college, move girlfriend to new college etc etc, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to really get into this epic saga, but I shall.............

------------------
I am the Ukrainian Anti-Pope!
Old September 3, 2000, 11:15   #46
Wangshibo
Chieftain

Right.

I held Kiev until winter 1942, then started retaking cities. Didn't get very far in the north, but was v. successful in the south. Then, at the end of winter 1942, I decided to try attacking Romania, and took all three of the nearest cities. Is this a cheat? It seemed reasonable to make a seaborne invasion, but after I took Romania, Germany crumbled in the south, and they stacked their entire army of about 140 units in perekop - I got them all in the 1st turn of summer with about 20 shturmoviks which I'd been buying for a while, and got Berlin in Summer 1943 - there was almost no opposition, only a few tanks here and there and the units fortified in the cities. Also, very few Volkssturm. The Americans never took anywhere in any of the games I've played - actually they got a city in S. Italy once, but the Germans pushed them out of it again.

BTW, is airlifting from Archangelsk down to Grozny/Baku considered fair play or not? If I hadn't done it, I wouldn't have been able to do anything like so well.
Old September 4, 2000, 00:02   #47
Leonidas
King

Field Marshal Klesh:

The Allies were bombing the daylights out of the Germans, and they took a city or two in Southern Italy - but that's about it. Whatever happened to Patton?

I always wondered what the Germans were attacking around Berlin. I always thought it was partisans or something.

I have never used the airlight option - always slogged it out by foot - it just seems more realistic that way...