Old October 16, 2003, 17:24   #31
Ned
King

Local Time: 02:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I have a simple question. If this is "vintage" Mahatir, why is it that is prior outrages have not been reported on Nation Media in the United States? Why is this vile address to the Muslim conference not reported by the likes of CBS, NBC and ABC? Why? And why, in contrast, is the very modest question by Rush Limbaugh trumpeted by the same media as the hallmark example of racism in politics.
Old October 16, 2003, 17:26   #32
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 12:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander
Yea, and the almost complete lack of democracy in the muslim world (thanks to scum like Mattahir) has nothing to do with the fact that they are the only group in the world which has managed to slide backwards since the end of WW2.
Ever heard about a place called Africa?
Old October 16, 2003, 17:28   #33
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 19:38
The Jews rule the world.

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!
Old October 16, 2003, 17:32   #34
pchang
King

Local Time: 10:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I have a simple question. If this is "vintage" Mahatir, why is it that is prior outrages have not been reported on Nation Media in the United States? Why is this vile address to the Muslim conference not reported by the likes of CBS, NBC and ABC? Why? And why, in contrast, is the very modest question by Rush Limbaugh trumpeted by the same media as the hallmark example of racism in politics.
American news does not rate places like Malaysia very highly. They know that the local weather and traffic brings a lot higher ratings than the statements of a "President" from a country half a world away. Australians are much more familiar with Mahathir than most Americans. Let them tell you more.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old October 16, 2003, 17:38   #35
Ned
King

Local Time: 02:38
pchang, no, the right answer is something called PC - where the only racism that is condemned is racism by the conservative right and by the Israeli hawks. Everyone else getss a pass, especially if they are Muslim or blacks or the like.
Old October 16, 2003, 17:50   #36
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
pchang, no, the right answer is something called PC -
Actually, pchang had it right. Foreign events get almost no attention in our media. For example, how much news coverage has there been about Uzbekistan's ferociously repressive government? How much coverage is there on the farce of an election in Chechnya? When was that last time you heard about the genocide in Burma?

PC's got nothin' to do with it.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 16, 2003, 18:06   #37
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:38
There is no doubt the bad behaviour of Israel is feeding global hatred of Jews.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old October 16, 2003, 18:10   #38
Kropotkin
Emperor

In a historical perspective, the popularity of the jewish people is at a lowpoint in the muslim world, that's for sure.

Btw, AH, I'm reading a book with you (your avatar) on the cover!!!
Old October 16, 2003, 18:17   #39
Sandman
King

Local Time: 11:38
I expect those rascally French are behind this.
Old October 16, 2003, 18:28   #40
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
There is no doubt the bad behaviour of Israel is feeding global hatred of Jews.
Is it that or is it that Israel's bad behavior serves as an excuse for people to indulge in their suppressed antiSemitism?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 16, 2003, 18:31   #41
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 13:38
The fact that they think they're right doesn't mean they're right.
Old October 16, 2003, 18:40   #42
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

I think Anti-Semitism is way too overrated these days...its like the usual answer to all critisism when theres nothing else anyone can come up with anymore. Same thing with anti-americanism, why isnt there anti-europeans, anti-theothersemitesyouknowussamabenladenandpals, anti-china, why arent neo-nazis called anti-blacks or anti-africans etc

- Paul Valery
Old October 16, 2003, 18:42   #43
Kropotkin
Emperor

Because 'neo-nazi' sounds so much more positive and progressive!
Old October 16, 2003, 19:21   #44
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Is it that or is it that Israel's bad behavior serves as an excuse for people to indulge in their suppressed antiSemitism?
A bit of both probably - but in South East Asia there are no Jews, and most ordinary people wouldn't know what a Jew was, so its really all about Israel's behaviour.

Old October 17, 2003, 08:54   #45
problem_child
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin

Ever heard about a place called Africa?
All you know about Africa is what your state controlled media service tells you about it to make you feel lucky to be American. Good news is no news, Africa isn't all famine and war, there are nations that have come along way forward since colonialism and the creation of arbituary rescource-gathering demarcations for borders.

-I.
Old October 17, 2003, 08:56   #46
problem_child
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
pchang, no, the right answer is something called PC - where the only racism that is condemned is racism by the conservative right and by the Israeli hawks. Everyone else getss a pass, especially if they are Muslim or blacks or the like.
Blacks n Muslims an the like? That's like saying Eurasians n Catholics an the like... demonstrates a profoundly ignorant understanding of human identity, culture and religion. Are you some kind of alien?

-I.
Old October 17, 2003, 09:37   #47
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

A bit of both probably - but in South East Asia there are no Jews, and most ordinary people wouldn't know what a Jew was, so its really all about Israel's behaviour.
when merchant of venice was written, the jews had been expelled from england for 300 years. So was elizabethan antisemitism also caused by Israeli behavior? Couldnt have had something to do with christian culture, and the New Testament?

And antisemitism in say Indonesia couldnt have something to do with the spread of Wahabi islam in that country?

And antisemitism on the part of Mahathir doesnt have something to do with his fight against "gobalization" and for "the asian way" and his blaming Malaysian economic problems on George Soros (who is not a Zionist, AFAIK) It couldnt just be scapegoating, could it?
Old October 17, 2003, 09:42   #48
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

you mean they dont read the koran? in the absence of any local jews, wouldnt they form their views of Jews from the Koran and later muslim literature, just as christians who've never seen a Jew get theirs from the NT and later christian lit.

Note to horsey - when i was eight years old, my family went on vacation in Vermont. We went swimming in a local municipal pool. I started talking to another little 8 year old boy. Somehow i told him I was jewish ( i suppose he asked what church i went to) He told me that his mom had told him that the Jews hate god, that the Jews had murdered god. (being a very pious little attendee at a Reform Jewish sunday school I didnt have the foggiest idea what he was talking about - I certainly do now though ) Doesnt seem like he knew any Jews. Do you suppose his sentiment was based on Israeli behavior?
Old October 17, 2003, 09:50   #49
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by laurentius
I think Anti-Semitism is way too overrated these days...its like the usual answer to all critisism when theres nothing else anyone can come up with anymore. Same thing with anti-americanism, why isnt there anti-europeans, anti-theothersemitesyouknowussamabenladenandpals, anti-china, why arent neo-nazis called anti-blacks or anti-africans etc
Uh lets see - there are amreicans who are anti-europeans, but the folks who dont like them tend to call them unilateralist, imperialists, or fascists instead. Anti-muslims - yup. Anti-China - cant really think of anyone I consider "anti-china" . Why arent neo-nazis anti-black - well cause theyre anti a lot of people besides blacks.

historically antisemite was a name adopted BY antisemites (back when it was still fashionable) Its a perfectly useful word.

I would agree that antisemitism is "overrated" Its a terrible thing. Thats why its too bad its reemerging. Like here in a thread about a speech that obviously antisemitic, by a head of state, all some people can think of to say is to question why this troubles anyone.
Old October 17, 2003, 09:50   #50
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Its really about Israel.

In muslim South East Asia, its the Chinese who are treated like Jews.

Old October 17, 2003, 09:53   #51
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by problem_child

All you know about Africa is what your state controlled media service tells you about it to make you feel lucky to be American. Good news is no news, Africa isn't all famine and war, there are nations that have come along way forward since colonialism and the creation of arbituary rescource-gathering demarcations for borders.
yeah although given that one of the countries that had come the farther forward - Ivory Coast - has had a devastating civil war, its easy to feel despair. There are some success stories - Namibia, Mozambique, Uganda - but its not all that wrong to see the continent overall as failing to move forward, when the major states, like Nigeria and Congo are in such bad shape.
Old October 17, 2003, 09:54   #52
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Its really about Israel.

Its not.
Old October 17, 2003, 09:59   #53
Alexander's Horse
Deity

It is, I've lived there.

Old October 17, 2003, 10:04   #54
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

In Israel?
Old October 17, 2003, 10:08   #55
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
It is, I've lived there.
makes you an expert on the views of every southeast asian muslim I guess, from Penang to Kuala Lampur to Aceh to Java to Borneo. And that you can tell for sure whether even the muslims you knew there were genuinely moved by israeli behavior, or whether they was israeli behavior through the lens of preexisting views of the Jews.

Nice that youve lived there, and if you ever care to share your actual experiences i'll be interested. But i see no need to accept broad assertions unbacked by evidence, especially when you ignored my points.
Old October 17, 2003, 10:08   #56
Alexander's Horse
Deity

no, Indonesia. Could speak the lingo too. Lived next to one of the biggest mosques. They banged on about Israel constantly. The intifada was on at that time.

Old October 17, 2003, 10:10   #57
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
no, Indonesia. Could speak the lingo too. Lived next to one of the biggest mosques. They banged on about Israel constantly. The intifada was on at that time.
dont need to go to Java to know that they talk about Israel constantly. I could have told you that, without without going any closer to indonesia than San diego. I can also tell you that lots of Neonazis and holocaust deniers go on about Israel alot. Doesnt prove that its all about Israel.
Old October 17, 2003, 10:12   #58
Alexander's Horse
Deity

you basically have no idea what you are talking about, do you.

Old October 17, 2003, 10:19   #59
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

Note to horsey - when i was eight years old, my family went on vacation in Vermont. We went swimming in a local municipal pool. I started talking to another little 8 year old boy. Somehow i told him I was jewish ( i suppose he asked what church i went to) He told me that his mom had told him that the Jews hate god, that the Jews had murdered god. (being a very pious little attendee at a Reform Jewish sunday school I didnt have the foggiest idea what he was talking about - I certainly do now though ) Doesnt seem like he knew any Jews. Do you suppose his sentiment was based on Israeli behavior?
That's a very sad story. My sympathies.

Old October 17, 2003, 10:21   #60
lord of the mark
Deity

AP

"At their own summit in Brussels, Belgium, European Union leaders had drafted a harshly worded statement condemning Mahathir's remarks, but French President Jacques Chirac blocked the wording from becoming a part of a final declaration.

The text had said Mahathir's "unacceptable comments hinder all our efforts to further interethnic and religious harmony, and have no place in a decent world. Such false and anti-Semitic remarks are as offensive to Muslims as they are to others."

Chirac, however, said there was no place in an EU declaration for such a text. EU leaders compromised by having Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi criticize Mahathir at his closing news conference. Officials said the draft text also would be issued as a separate statement and would be posted on the EU presidency Web site.

Australian Prime Minister John Howard called Mahathir's comments offensive and repugnant. "

Howard

Chirac: