Closed Thread

Old August 2, 2004, 05:22   #331
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
vondrack, those are the correct conditions, and AFAIK they happen like that for GS. I'm not sure whether we currently have a city in precisely those conditions, though, we surely had size 10 cities, with 5 happy, 5 content in WLTKD.

An update on the bug: Trip has confirmed it's a large one. We do not see any way to solve it, but we can compensate part of its effect. At least, we have to go back one turn to take some precautions on our side. I'll try to do that this evening, but it's going to take a while to calculate everything, and to make sure our workaround works. Please bear with us if this takes longer then expected.

But this will not solve the bug. Most likely, in a few turns time, we will need to take a time-out again, possibly trying something, and if that doesn't work go back a turn again. I'm sorry if I can't be more specific on what's going on. The diplo screen certainly is going to be doing strange things the following few turns, it's very likely we lose our trades to all or some teams. Please do not be mad at us, if things go wrong, we'll have to go back one turn again.

This is certainly not the best way of proceeding, and I surely hope it's not going to turn into an Echternach procession (3 steps forward, 2 steps back, 3 steps forward,...). But there is little we can do

I'll try to get the turn out this evening, or night.

DeepO

PS: this bug is going to cost us a lot. The precise effects aren't clear yet, but I estimate roughly 300 gpt if we would continue from the current turn onwards. In case we can compensate a little here and there, I hope the effect will be more on the order of 50 gpt or so. And it's going to stay with us for a long time to come, possibly till the end of the game (unless the game somehow cures itself). So if anyone wants to deposit some money in the victims-relief fund, we are open for any donations. Oh, and they will be tax-deductable for sure
Old August 2, 2004, 05:47   #332
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 11:40
Quote:
Originally posted by DeepO
vondrack, those are the correct conditions, and AFAIK they happen like that for GS. I'm not sure whether we currently have a city in precisely those conditions, though, we surely had size 10 cities, with 5 happy, 5 content in WLTKD.
Well, then, we had a bug hitting us as well. We had a number of cities at pop 12, with 6 happy and 6 content citizens, which stopped celebrating and haven't started again even on the next turn (it had to do with some lux deals expiring and being only partially renewed).

It did complicate some of our builds at that time (as the shield output dropped a bit here and there), but it was no big deal, so I just mentioned that in our forum and made few adjustments to get the cities back on track... not sure how much that cost (and still cost) us actually.

BTW... if it is about gold - would it be possible to use Gramphos' savegame editor to give you that gold back in? I admit I have never tried using it, not even in SP, so it may be a complete nonsense... but I thought I'd ask. While I understand it's not really fair to have you lose that gold, I am quite sure Lego has no spare funds at the moment... unless... unless... perhaps... but there are restrictions on selling certain technologies to Cuba, Iraq, Iran, Lybia, and Legoland, so... um, no... that would not work.

Though, if there is a team that can afford to lose 300gpt for quite some time, then it's you, is it not? Even after the recent spendings...
Old August 2, 2004, 07:11   #333
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
It did complicate some of our builds at that time (as the shield output dropped a bit here and there), but it was no big deal, so I just mentioned that in our forum and made few adjustments to get the cities back on track... not sure how much that cost (and still cost) us actually.
That surely does sound like a bug. But there is one big difference between our 2 nations: if we would be hit by that bug, it would cost us many more shields then the 1 or 2 the loss of WLTKD costs. We are literally using all our available land tiles, so losing 1 or 2 shields can mess up our completion times of things. Going from 40spt to 39 spt when building a cathedral doesn't lose 1 spt, but 17 spt (1 turn more on a 2-turn building). It's easier for you to compensate than it is for us... but it's still a pain

Quote:
BTW... if it is about gold - would it be possible to use Gramphos' savegame editor to give you that gold back in? I admit I have never tried using it, not even in SP, so it may be a complete nonsense... but I thought I'd ask.
I don't know. I tend to keep away from editors and trainers... I don't really like the idea. If we can minimise the loss, it's fine by me, but 300 gpt is simply too much, you can imagine that.

Quote:
While I understand it's not really fair to have you lose that gold, I am quite sure Lego has no spare funds at the moment... unless... unless... perhaps... but there are restrictions on selling certain technologies to Cuba, Iraq, Iran, Lybia, and Legoland, so... um, no... that would not work.
It's more like Cuba selling a super de luxe anti nuclear missile protection system to the 'Evil' US, you mean Not much point in trading away our only benefit we have, if it will be used for an invasion of loads of Lego tanks a few turns later

Quote:
Though, if there is a team that can afford to lose 300gpt for quite some time, then it's you, is it not? Even after the recent spendings...
300gpt or equivalent? Hey, we're ranked #4 in about everything! Only disease is the one area in which we are unbeated to this day!

And those recent spendings: it would surely be a lot cheaper if a certain nation would keep its transports at a reasonable distance from our coast, so we can afford to focus on science and happiness instead of spending money to replace our beloved spears by Kalashnikovs.

DeepO
Old August 2, 2004, 07:39   #334
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
That surely does sound like a bug. But there is one big difference between our 2 nations: if we would be hit by that bug, it would cost us many more shields then the 1 or 2 the loss of WLTKD costs. We are literally using all our available land tiles, so losing 1 or 2 shields can mess up our completion times of things. Going from 40spt to 39 spt when building a cathedral doesn't lose 1 spt, but 17 spt (1 turn more on a 2-turn building). It's easier for you to compensate than it is for us... but it's still a pain
Well, no, in this regard, it was the same - we have had our builds tightly planned as well and had to redo them to accomodate for the loss of WLTKD shields (remember we were at pop 12 w/o hospitals, so our options were limited as well). We had to shortrush some, delay some, waste some, or build something else. But in the grand scheme of things, it was not a game breaker. Certainly not like losing 300gpt.

Besides, I was not sure if the bug was with the game or my memory...

Quote:
I don't know. I tend to keep away from editors and trainers... I don't really like the idea. If we can minimise the loss, it's fine by me, but 300 gpt is simply too much, you can imagine that.
Well, generally editing a PBEM save is a big no-no, that's for sure. But if it was the only way out and the edit was done by Trip, I believe few would object. Not me, at least.

Quote:
And those recent spendings: it would surely be a lot cheaper if a certain nation would keep its transports at a reasonable distance from our coast, so we can afford to focus on science and happiness instead of spending money to replace our beloved spears by Kalashnikovs.
Are we... are we talking about that single caravel aatw asked to be removed? Can't believe that... or are there other civs doing such nasty things to you?

Anyway, you will be happy to hear that Horatio Nelson is scheduled to sail home in 1090AD, after being replaced by a totally harmless, already obsolete picket ironclad.

Oh, btw, we appreciate that a certain nation removed their galleon from the vicinity of our territorial waters, replacing it with a, uhm, totally harmless, even if not obsolete yet destroyer.
Old August 2, 2004, 14:08   #335
DeepO
Emperor

Quote:

Well, no, in this regard, it was the same - we have had our builds tightly planned as well and had to redo them to accomodate for the loss of WLTKD shields (remember we were at pop 12 w/o hospitals, so our options were limited as well). We had to shortrush some, delay some, waste some, or build something else.
I think I didn't write what I intended to say: I know this, of course. The thing is: our options aren't as good as yours because of the limitation of tiles. In case you miss one shield, you work a shield rich tile for a turn (even if this means hunger in your cities) and it's fixed. OTOH, if you've got too many shields, you simply use more food rich tiles. We don't have that luxury, without messing up the neighboring cities... which is also the reason why pollution is so bad for us.

Quote:
Well, generally editing a PBEM save is a big no-no, that's for sure. But if it was the only way out and the edit was done by Trip, I believe few would object. Not me, at least.
Let's first see if we can work around it by going back a turn, and taking special precautions later on. I've got good hopes on this... We won't ever fully compensate our losses, but I rather loose a little (so no 300 gpt, which is unacceptable), then having to mess with a save editor. And Trip seems to be very busy right now, I doubt he's got the time to fool around and to test things. So let's keep this as a last ditch solution, perhaps?

Quote:
Are we... are we talking about that single caravel aatw asked to be removed? Can't believe that... or are there other civs doing such nasty things to you?
well, let's just say we didn't feel safe anymore, on our cosy little island, protected by spears and pikes on our hills, but none in our cities. That situation has been resolved, but probably needs further improvement to keep you big countries from getting any ideas.

Quote:
Anyway, you will be happy to hear that Horatio Nelson is scheduled to sail home in 1090AD, after being replaced by a totally harmless, already obsolete picket ironclad.
Thanks.

Quote:
Oh, btw, we appreciate that a certain nation removed their galleon from the vicinity of our territorial waters, replacing it with a, uhm, totally harmless, even if not obsolete yet destroyer.
perhaps... maybe we'll just let you guys sweat a little, like you did to us

DeepO
Old August 2, 2004, 15:41   #336
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Old August 2, 2004, 16:20   #337
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
I think I didn't write what I intended to say: I know this, of course. The thing is: our options aren't as good as yours because of the limitation of tiles. In case you miss one shield, you work a shield rich tile for a turn (even if this means hunger in your cities) and it's fixed. OTOH, if you've got too many shields, you simply use more food rich tiles. We don't have that luxury, without messing up the neighboring cities... which is also the reason why pollution is so bad for us.
I understood you correctly. Let's just say that it was not possible to fix the problem with just "working shield-richer tiles on the next turn".

Anyway, glad to see the re-play is under way.
Old August 2, 2004, 17:01   #338
DeepO
Emperor

okay, very possible that that's the case, of course... especially if it's only one turn in which the loss of WLTKD occurs. Sometimes, you end up with an empty foodbox. In that case, very little to do then to switch builds, or delay it, and use all available workers to switch your mines to irr (and back to mines again next turn)

And let's hope this replay is the last one. There shouldn't be any problem next turn, so we should be able to progress to 1100 AD undisturbed, but after that, more problems are going to creep up.

Oh, and we're losing some gpt (or equivalent), but for the moment it's under control. I think something close to 30 gpt right now, 50 gpt next turn, and nearing 100 gpt in 3 or 4 turns. But we should be able to reset it around that time, and get it close to 0 after that. Can't tell you more, let's first of all see how it goes, and if our workarounds are working... around

DeepO
Old August 2, 2004, 17:19   #339
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

I would like to take this opportunity and nominate DeepO for "The Most Mysterious Bug Reporter".
Old August 2, 2004, 17:37   #340
DeepO
Emperor

Well, I'll disclose all bugs after they are no longer important

DeepO
Old August 5, 2004, 12:27   #341
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

C'mon, MZ, you did it once, you can do it again!
Old August 5, 2004, 16:32   #342
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:40
He's lazy and he sucks.
Old August 5, 2004, 16:42   #343
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Old August 6, 2004, 00:16   #344
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:40
Ok, I HAVE to explain...

I am at my aunt's house in Mexico City for the week and though I have Civ here, I am using a crappy modem and my Civ account is HUGE (think all the PBEMs since around april). As you can imagine, it would take like 4-5 hours to download it all so I can get to the latest ones and well, since my family needs the phone line, I can't stay on for that long...

... so I asked my landlady's son in Puebla to go to my room, download my e-mail and send the PTWDG to my personal account which is not nearly as big and I can download here.

Yes, that's what I get for not setting up a webmail for my accounts

Anyway, in case I get the next save (be it a new one or another replay of this one ) please send it to raguil AT mzocentral DOT net. After next monday I will be home again

Thanks and apologies

-MZ

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old August 6, 2004, 01:04   #345
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 06:40
I think most of us believe its just because you are Lazy and suck.

Old August 6, 2004, 03:29   #346
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Ummm, the savegame email I sent to your regular chello address bounced, DeepO (overquota). You may either ask one of your many savegame-receiving minions to post it for you in the GS forum or give me another address to resend it to.
Old August 6, 2004, 08:10   #347
DeepO
Emperor

try again, please. One of my friends sent me nearly 50 MB of (naughty) movies... while in general I'm no big fan of those, I hate it when it overfills my in-box

DeepO
Old August 6, 2004, 12:40   #348
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Resent, this time only to you.
Old August 6, 2004, 12:58   #349
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 03:40
Quote:
...one of your many savegame-receiving minions to post it for you in the GS forum...
That cracked me up. Vondrack, do you have a distribution list set up so you don't have to click on each GS member every single time you send the save?
Old August 6, 2004, 13:15   #350
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Um, no... I use a handy feature of my email client (The Bat!, www.ritlabs.com - highly recommended, though not free... but even the ugly Outlook Express may be able to do it, too - I ditched it for other reasons). If I go to my "Sent" folder and select a message I sent in the past, I can right-click it and simply "re-send". Makes it go to my "Outbox" folder (again)... where I can double-click it and freely edit to my liking - removing the old attachment (previous save), attaching the correct save instead. Once finished, I "Send All", actually sending the email(s) prepared in the Outbox via my SMTP server out.

This way, I once took the time to create an email with all the GS members that had asked me for the save (10 of them ATM) in the "To:" or "Cc:" fields - and now only keep resending the "previous" savegame email, replacing the savegame itself. Whenever someone asks to be added/removed, I edit him in/out - and since I always resend the "most recent" savegame email, the change usually propagates as desired.

Works like a charm.
Old August 6, 2004, 13:29   #351
DeepO
Emperor

Thanks Vondrack! I'll play the save asap (might be in a few hours, though)

DeepO
Old August 6, 2004, 14:08   #352
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
try again, please. One of my friends sent me nearly 50 MB of (naughty) movies... while in general I'm no big fan of those, I hate it when it overfills my in-box

DeepO

you know, there are things you don't necessarily have to share with us...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old August 6, 2004, 16:24   #353
DeepO
Emperor

bah, doesn't everyone has a friend like that, sending too much rubbish to your in-box?

Oh, and MZ: you know me: I've got no secrets

DeepO
Old August 6, 2004, 22:56   #354
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:

gee, I wonder who did THAT!

Old August 7, 2004, 19:35   #355
Zayxus
PtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

Please, excuse the delay. I will play for Darekill, because he is in vacation for one week.
Old August 9, 2004, 22:29   #356
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 03:40
Old August 10, 2004, 17:01   #357
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Vondrack... sigh... okay, I'm sorry if you felt left out, but did you really had to create a bug of your own? When I tried to access the ND active deals, the game crashed on me too... which would not have been too badly, if it wasn't after I just played the complete turn
Seems our playing habits are quite similar. I, too, check the trade/diplo stuff only after moving all our units and doing the MM stuff...
Old August 16, 2004, 06:25   #358
regbord
Settler

Local Time: 10:40
Edited by Ming
Link removed...
Find some other place to use sleazy methods to promote your site. We won't put up with it here.

Last edited by Ming; August 21, 2004 at 08:56.
Old August 17, 2004, 16:13   #359
Darekill
PtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by regbord
the Game Save

I hate it this is not good!
Old August 17, 2004, 16:31   #360
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Did you click it?
Closed Thread