Old September 8, 2000, 14:04   #1
klesh
King

Local Time: 02:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
2194DaysOfWar Question for Cpt Nemo
I've looked in the readme and have yet to find the answer...

If you are playing as the Germans, what are the rules as far as thwarting Operation Overloard? I have had it where my Atlantic Wall defenses are so strong that the Allies can't clear the beaches for a landing ie there is no invasion! I've even gone as far as to build a second line of fortresses manned with 88mm MP guns and divisions of TigerII's waiting to push back the Allies into the sea.

Doing this makes the event-born units that are to liberate the continent useless. Yet, there are AA Batteries etc in place along the coast at the start of the game, is it assumed that the British will knock those out in time for the invasion? Basically, if you are able to knock out the Soviets you should have plenty of production to make the coast of France completely impregnable.

Is having those fortresses filled with troops cheating? I mean, it is too easy to fill 'em in and continually knock out the British freighter and American Liberty ship that pop up in the Channel each turn.

I'm working on a strategy guide, and I need to know what is fair play and what isn't.

Thanks

------------------
I am the Ukrainian Anti-Pope!
[This message has been edited by Field Marshal Klesh (edited September 08, 2000).]
Old September 8, 2000, 17:50   #2
klesh
King

Okay, I have two more questions...

1) Is it legal to cover Soviet territory with planes before you conquer a city so as to have no Partisans appear on those squares?

2) Is it legal to keep V-1 rockets inside your subs? This is historically inaccurate, however, since you don't have the tech for aircraft carriers and they can't be carried by freighters, there is no way to move them over long water-distances. But the concept of landing them is kinda silly too!

------------------
[This message has been edited by Field Marshal Klesh (edited September 08, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Field Marshal Klesh (edited September 11, 2000).]
Old September 8, 2000, 18:08   #3
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 22:03
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I heard that the tech tree was not correct after the revision. Has it been fixed?
Old September 8, 2000, 18:54   #4
klesh
King

I don't think its been fixed yet...when you capture Stalingrad they are given a tech that allows them to build the Japanese Ki-67 Bomber

------------------
[This message has been edited by Field Marshal Klesh (edited September 11, 2000).]
Old September 8, 2000, 21:29   #5
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 06:03
A few answers:

I have not fixed the tech tree problems yet in 2194 days of War.
Though I spent a lot of time on designing this scenario it is not really challenging to play if you are good at Civ2. It was pretty much designed for play from any side which gives the human player a huge advantage against the stupid AI.
The customization of the files to accomodate 5 different human players was only an afterthought.

As you saw in Red Front to make a challenging scenario you need to spend a lot of time optimizing the AI, which I didn't do. The Normandy invasion event is easy to twart, in that light. I didn't really make a list of do's or dont's for 2194 Days of War, and because it is less historical than RF I think there is really no "cheats" that are dissallowed.
V-1 in U-boats is "borderline"
Fortifying the Atlantic wall is certainly OK
Denying the Soviets partisans with planes is a great strategy, as a matter of fact a similar strategy is required to win in certain parts of Second Front (Like "blocking" German reinforcements with planes to unlock the Stalemate at Caen).

Old September 8, 2000, 23:49   #6
S_Palpatine
Settler

Local Time: 06:03
IMO, I think 2194 days should be converted for a multi-player game, it would get rid of having to "tweak" the AI, and would make Field Marshal Klesh's Atlantik Wall not so unstoppable. The player(s) would merely chose a differen't landing zone.