Old October 18, 2003, 16:43   #61
mindseye
King

Local Time: 18:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
I like the building the Taiwanese put up as well. Certainly loads better than the monstrosities put up by their mainland counterparts

(image of Oriental Pearl Television Tower)

Ugh...
There really are some monstrosities here. I am no fan of the Oriental Pearl Tower, either.

Architectural styles change every couple of years in Shanghai, it's fascinating to watch the compressed time scale of building evolution. Most regrettably, the Oriental Pearl Tower was built during a ~ 3 - 5 year phase I think of as "Chinese Crude Modern". These were the first structures designed after the howling winds of the development hurricaine began. Looks like architects during this period were still using the materials they were most familiar with (i.e. lots and lots of cement- in China, the solution to a good many problems is "concrete"), but suddenly started to experiment with curves and new shapes (i.e. anything other than "box"). The usual result was breathtakingly ugly.

Fortunately, the Oriental Pearl Tower does rather fit in with the futuristic skyline of Pudong, somewhat masking its ugliness. Thank the heavens that the Jin Mao Tower (and soon that Giant Bottle Opener) dominate the Pudong skyline.

However, all that camouflage comes to naught when they throw the switch and turn the thing into a giant disco ball! Yes, it's true! The middle sphere is covered with computer-controlled lights, and on some nights the ball is cloaked in swirling colors and patterns. When the "world's largest disco ball effect" was revealed, a Canadian friend commented "I can't believe they came up with a way to make the Oriental Pearl Tower more garish." On a really special evening, they also switch on the revolving spotlight on the top, you can almost hear "Stayin' Alive" wafting across the cityscape.

My greatest regret is that the Oriental Pearl Tower somehow became the symbol of Shanghai, thus insuring that it can never easily be torn down.

Here's a shot (not mine, it's from skyscrapers.com) of some of the towers near the Oriental Pearl. This part of Shanghai is striking, especially on a misty evening.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	shanghai3a.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	55296  

Last edited by mindseye; October 18, 2003 at 16:59.
Old October 18, 2003, 16:51   #62
mindseye
King

I have scores of photos of Shanghai's architecture, some day I will start a thread. For now, here is one of my favorites among the latest crop (this photo is not mine) ...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	shanghai12.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	55298  
Old October 18, 2003, 17:21   #63
Neutrino
Settler

Local Time: 05:45
My dad, who lives and works in Taipei, has witnessed the construction of the skyscraper. He says it's quite remarkable and makes the rest of the city look insignificant.

The design is based on Chinese culture - each 'module' open up toward the sky - it's a sign of good luck and fortune.

I'm might be going to visit Taiwan this winter.. if so i'll be sure to take lots of pics
Old October 18, 2003, 17:25   #64
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 13:45
that's a yumee building, Mindseye.
Old October 18, 2003, 17:58   #65
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 12:45
Beautiful picture mindseye
Old October 18, 2003, 18:09   #66
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Quote:

That...thing belongs in Tomorrowland!
Old October 18, 2003, 22:53   #67
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 06:45
Next to the Rocket ride?
Old October 18, 2003, 22:56   #68
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 03:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Snotty
Hmm. The skyscraper.com people seem really anal about their image rights.

I think the first tower looks really good.

This one does not.

A giant bottle opener? What were they thinking?

Shanghai world financial tower.
I'm waiting for Godzilla (or something similar), to finish drinking his current beer and go looking for a tool to open his next.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old October 18, 2003, 23:12   #69
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
However, all that camouflage comes to naught when they throw the switch and turn the thing into a giant disco ball! Yes, it's true! The middle sphere is covered with computer-controlled lights, and on some nights the ball is cloaked in swirling colors and patterns. When the "world's largest disco ball effect" was revealed, a Canadian friend commented "I can't believe they came up with a way to make the Oriental Pearl Tower more garish." On a really special evening, they also switch on the revolving spotlight on the top, you can almost hear "Stayin' Alive" wafting across the cityscape.

I would like to echo the sentiments of your Canadian friend.
Old October 18, 2003, 23:48   #70
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto

That...thing belongs in Tomorrowland!
That thing belongs in orbit.

When's the launch?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old October 18, 2003, 23:50   #71
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Seriously, this is the first time I've seen it, and my first thought was that someone had used an illustration from a space empire game as a joke.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old October 19, 2003, 00:07   #72
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 10:45
Quote:
Originally posted by mindseye
Here's a shot (not mine, it's from skyscrapers.com) of some of the towers near the Oriental Pearl. This part of Shanghai is striking, especially on a misty evening.
No offense Mindseyes, but those guys do not look at all friendly.
Old October 19, 2003, 00:55   #73
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like Times Square has some competition for New Years Eve.
Old October 19, 2003, 11:16   #74
mindseye
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
That thing belongs in orbit.

When's the launch?
Oh, if you are looking for a space vehicle, you need look no further than what's docked on top of what I call the "Mothership Building".
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	mothership.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	55356  
Old October 19, 2003, 23:39   #75
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
I have scores of photos of Shanghai's architecture, some day I will start a thread.
Bring it on!
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 20, 2003, 00:36   #76
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 03:45
Quote:
Does that building look to anyone else like a bunch of Chinese food cartons stacked on top of each other? Or am I just hungry?

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?b6768
Old October 20, 2003, 04:30   #77
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 12:45
Quote:
Originally posted by mindseye
Oh, if you are looking for a space vehicle, you need look no further than what's docked on top of what I call the "Mothership Building".

Oh no, our cover has been blown
Old October 20, 2003, 06:39   #78
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 19:45
I find this picture interesting...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	tallest.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	55418  
Old October 20, 2003, 06:44   #79
DaShi
Emperor

Taipei 101?

I know that everyone has to take the class to graduate, but I didn't think the population problem was that bad over there.
Old October 20, 2003, 09:56   #80
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?b6768

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891