Old October 17, 2003, 17:04   #1
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 03:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Videogames combat phobias!
Yes, now it's official. Half-life and other games can conquer your fears, or at least that's what cnn says:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.gam...eut/index.html

Quote:
Regular, off-the-shelf computer video games are an effective method of treating people's fears, using a style of therapy that exposes people to what scares them in a controlled setting, according to a new study released on Friday.

The researchers used the game "Half-Life" to create a spider-laden environment for arachnophobic people, and "Unreal Tournament" to simulate heights for acrophobics and tight spaces for claustrophobics.
Well, there. I thought it was neat.
Old October 17, 2003, 17:13   #2
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 11:46
Hmm, I played half life to death, completed it, and then went off to play a real painball game, thinking it would be just the same (afterall, paint won't kill you).

How wrong I was ..

After 5 minutes id been hit between the eyes, and it slowly dawned on me ... I was dead if that was real.

Never did seem to pick up the courage to charge after that.. those that did, had the bruises to show for it later.

Brilliant day though, have to say if you've not done paintball before, you have to try it out. Just don't expect half life to give you any advantage..
Old October 17, 2003, 19:44   #3
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:46
Neat.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 17, 2003, 19:56   #4
Space05us
King

Local Time: 22:46
yeeeeah, NO. Ive played plenty of games with spiders and heights in them and Im still very afraid of both.
Old October 18, 2003, 00:49   #5
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

I got rid of my fears by going into isolation for five weeks and then meditating heavily upon all my faults. I used to have to restrain the urge to bolt from spiders. Now I think they're cute.
Old October 18, 2003, 02:41   #6
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

So does Civ do anything?
Old October 18, 2003, 02:59   #7
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 05:46
One problem to this kind of approach: I have acrophobia while playing video games. I cant stand having to see my character fall off a height thats tens times higher than his height
Old October 18, 2003, 03:07   #8
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Viceroy
Hmm, I played half life to death, completed it, and then went off to play a real painball game, thinking it would be just the same (afterall, paint won't kill you).

How wrong I was ..

After 5 minutes id been hit between the eyes, and it slowly dawned on me ... I was dead if that was real.

Never did seem to pick up the courage to charge after that.. those that did, had the bruises to show for it later.

Brilliant day though, have to say if you've not done paintball before, you have to try it out. Just don't expect half life to give you any advantage..
How typical. I knew some losers who thought they could be good at paintball/sniping in real life just because they took great command with their mouse and keyboard. They make me laugh. At least you learned

At least you got shot between the eye for you first paintball experience. If you were wearing a decent face mask you wouldnt have felt a thing. My first time playing skirmish w/ modified airsoft guns, I was shot by an automatic shot that went all the way from my cheek down to my neck to my thigh at point blank range. and I was only wearing a T-shirt and goggles you wear in shooting ranges.
Old October 18, 2003, 03:09   #9
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Local Time: 10:46
Don't play Spider-man.
Old October 18, 2003, 05:36   #10
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 13:46
Quote:
At least you got shot between the eye for you first paintball experience. If you were wearing a decent face mask you wouldnt have felt a thing.
precisely.

Oh, and you're both right. Sure video games don't make you an elite fighter or whatever, but that's not what the article claimed. It claimed that it helps to conquer your fears.

And what's with the knowledge that you'd be dead if you were hit by a real bullet? OF COURSE YOU'D BE DEAD.
Old October 18, 2003, 05:41   #11
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:46
Quote:
And what's with the knowledge that you'd be dead if you were hit by a real bullet?
I think what he means is, that how surpising easy and quick one can get killed...and that bullets don't discriminate.
Old October 18, 2003, 06:14   #12
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 11:46
Thanks Alva .. yes, thats exactly what I meant.

I did have a face mask on, and it still stung like hell.

I don't think I went into it thinking id be ace though, what I was talking about was being fearless ..
Old October 18, 2003, 07:59   #13
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 20:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
So does Civ do anything?
Yeah, it causes you to lose your fear of building up an empire from the stone age
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Last edited by Case; October 18, 2003 at 08:44.
Old October 18, 2003, 09:06   #14
geeslaka
Prince

I no longer have any fear of seeing myself from outside myself.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old October 18, 2003, 09:06   #15
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 13:46
Quote:
I think what he means is, that how surpising easy and quick one can get killed...and that bullets don't discriminate.
Yeah, well, I don't think that thinking about death while playing paintball is smart.

which remind me... faded liked paintballing.... *sigh*
Old October 18, 2003, 10:27   #16
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I no longer fear giant demons, imps, repitilian-like aliens, military robots, or the illuminati. My life is so much better now.
Old October 18, 2003, 12:23   #17
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
One problem to this kind of approach: I have acrophobia while playing video games. I cant stand having to see my character fall off a height thats tens times higher than his height
even mario?
Old October 19, 2003, 01:24   #18
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

I no longer fear death.
Old October 19, 2003, 01:39   #19
geeslaka
Prince

WTH is the pause button? I need to stop and think about the strategical situation of life and decide what I'm going to do.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old October 19, 2003, 02:26   #20
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Viceroy

I did have a face mask on, and it still stung like hell.
what kind of face mask? usually if a mask you shouldnt feel anything under 800 fps. Im pretty sure for paintball anything over 340fps is illegal to use in arenas so it shouldnt have been too bad if you were wearing a decent face mask.
Old October 19, 2003, 03:02   #21
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Dude, those things hurt like HE11 if they don't break when they hit you.
Old October 19, 2003, 04:30   #22
geeslaka
Prince

Sure, the hurt like HE11, but do the hurt as much as an agiel wielded by a Mord-Sith?

Edit: Found a better page to link to.
XGalaga.

Last edited by geeslaka; October 19, 2003 at 04:36.
Old October 20, 2003, 09:55   #23
lord of the mark
Deity

how about fears of not getting plus one's due to a games related thread being posted on Off topic instead of other games? Is there a cure?
Old October 20, 2003, 13:13   #24
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I have a fear of certain social situations, what game can I play to fix that?
Old October 20, 2003, 14:09   #25
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
So does Civ do anything?
It causes you to lose your fear of seeing the world dominated by an all-powerful late capitalist democracy.
Very useful for some folks around here.
Old October 21, 2003, 01:42   #26
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I have a fear of certain social situations, what game can I play to fix that?
Ones involving drinking.

Social situations are easy - I just look for someplace to sit and then try to look as inconspicuous as possible to avoid any unwanted human contact.
Old October 21, 2003, 01:48   #27
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark, but edited by Tassadar

It causes you to lose your fear of seeing the world dominated by an all-powerful late communist democracy.
Very useful for some folks around here.
Old October 21, 2003, 01:56   #28
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:46
What about my fear of crates? HOW WILL VIDEO GAMES SAVE ME FROM THE CRATES OH GOD THE CRATES AAAAGGH
Old October 21, 2003, 01:58   #29
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Heh, STC ratings.

I miss Old Man Murray.