Old October 19, 2003, 22:02   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 02:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Need help from footballers (soccer)
I have decided to try out for the high school team this spring. I am not sure if anyone gets cut, and if they do not many will get cut, but if that's the case I'll be the first to get the axe. This is because I've never played football competitvely before. I played park and rec which isn't serious at all, and I play it in my free time. I decided to play it because I'd rather do it then do track because I don't like track and football is my favorite sport. I need to work on fundamentals desperately. I need drills that I can do that will help me with basic fundamentals.

I will set up cones to dribble through to inmprove my dribbling, for shooting I guess I will just have to shoot over and over and over again, and for passing I will probably set up two cones close together and try to get it though when I'm far away and on the run. I will do pushups to get stronger, and I am in good shape (I run cross country) and will run over the winter to get faster and in better shape. What else can I do? What drills can I do to improve my heading? I can't head the ball at all. I also struggle with trapping the ball, especially when it is in the air. What about my defense? My other problem is that I know no moves. Not even basic ones. When I have the ball and am one on one with a defender, I have two options. I can try and simply dribble around him or I can pass the ball. So what can I do to learn moves?

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old October 20, 2003, 04:13   #2
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 11:55
What position do you play?

When it comes to beating defenders, unless you're seriously good, teamwork beats individual flair. You're better off practising with teammates to develop fast, one-touch passing. To develop some useful skills yourself, use a wall as a sort of team mate, and bouce passes off it back to your own feet while running as fast as you can. The fast 1-2 beats more defenders than any amount of dribbling.
Old October 20, 2003, 04:34   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:55
Improve your technique by fooling around with a tennisball, not kidding.

- Just try to keep in the air (not using your hands ),

- kick it against a wall and try to kick/hit it back only touching the tennisball twice. (controll and kick, preferably by controlling it with your bad foot (left?) and kicking it with your right)
After that, stand closer to the wall and try to do in a one time movement (either very fluently or touching it only once. Use both left and right feet !!! )

practise..practise...practise...

Last edited by alva; October 20, 2003 at 04:58.
Old October 20, 2003, 04:51   #4
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Another one- use a wall to improve your trapping skills. Just blast shots against it and catch the rebounds.
Old October 20, 2003, 05:16   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 10:55
alva's advice about doing some practise with a tennis ball is good. As is all Laz's advice.

Practising headers isn't easy. It helps to have a partner you can work with. Get them to stand about 3 metres in front of you and throw the ball slightly above your head. You jump and try and head it right back into their hands as hard as possible. As soon as they catch it they throw it back at the same spot again so you have to jump straight away. Not only is this good heading training, but it also keeps you fit. When you're good you should be able to a couple of dozen without ever having your feet on the floor for much longer than a second at a time.

"Learning moves". Well if you want to pick up a few tricks for tricking it around someone then one of the best things you can do is watch soccer on TV, especially skillful teams like Brazil. Observe what they do. Some of it will be too hard for you to do, but you should pick up a few ideas. With this, as with anything, practise makes perfect. You might need a partner to train with here too, just take it in turns to try and tricking past each other (you'll practice tackling this way too).

The number one rule is to keep playing. Do anything. Training and matches are best of course, but the crucial thing is to just keeping kicking the ball. If you're going for a walk in the park then take a soccer ball with you and just kick it around as you go. When you're doing some fitness training such as jogging around the pitch then do so while dribbling a football.

The number two rule is to have a friend to train with, it really does help a lot. Shooting training is of very little use if there is nobody in goal. It's also a lot more fun this way.

The number three rule is fitness. You must be physically fit in order to do well if you're playing competitively. A skillful team with low fitness will almost always lose a 90 minute game to an unskillful team with high fitness. Being a fitter team than your opponents is worth an extra player on the field.
Old October 20, 2003, 05:26   #6
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

1.Copious amounts of alchohol.
2.An enourmous ego.
3.The tendency to think women like to have sex with lareg groups of men.
4.Forgetfulness.
5.Racist attitudes.

If you can mangae to work on all the above, the English premiership beckons.
Old October 20, 2003, 05:29   #7
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Try to have something distinguishing. For instance, I can play either on the left or on the right, because I'm equally good with either foot.

Watch the professional players. You can pick up a lot from watching a game.
Old October 20, 2003, 05:30   #8
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 10:55
TheStinger:
Old October 20, 2003, 07:21   #9
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 05:55
Practice your diving- watch some Italian football- they have it down to a fine art.

Remember, football is a contact sport, so keep your elbows up in the bastards faces and pull on jerseys whenever possible.

Keep in mind that a slight touch on your opponents foot at just the right time can make him "go over" and possibly injure his ankle.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old October 20, 2003, 07:24   #10
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 06:55
Go ask the coach. Coaches love players who will work out the whole offseason.
Old October 20, 2003, 07:28   #11
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Practice your diving- watch some Italian football- they have it down to a fine art.
You know that many teams even try to perfect this "art" form on a youth level !!!