Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 19:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash
Interesting...

So why are iPods some of the most popular MP3 players? Don't they hold a rather large share of the personal digital music player market?
Because they're cool.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:28   #32
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 04:58
Quote:
Interesting...

So why are iPods some of the most popular MP3 players? Don't they hold a rather large share of the personal digital music player market?
Because they appeal to Mac people and trendy tw*ts.

Quote:
Also, what are the copy protections on WMA?
Same as what you can do with FairPlay.
Old October 22, 2003, 17:55   #33
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Apple updated itunes to 4.1.1 today in response to complaints that it caused problems for some Win2K users (a software conflict with old CDE authoring software).

That's a nice quick response.
Old October 22, 2003, 18:35   #34
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
That's a nice quick response.
Yeah, unlike MS's slow responses to fix Windows security bugs.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old October 22, 2003, 19:14   #35
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy

Windows is so ****ed that the fixes create yet more problems.
Old October 22, 2003, 22:56   #36
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:

Last time I checked upgrading WMP didn't BSOD all Win2K systems on install.

Finding and patching bugs that given fifty specific conditions under certain environments in a OS with 40M lines of code is a helluva lot more complex than a simple music playing program crashing an entire major OS distribution on install.

It's a prime example of Apple having absolutely crap beta testing techniques.
Old October 23, 2003, 21:27   #37
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Quote:
cause they appeal to Mac people and trendy tw*ts.
Ah, but you can't deny it.

Quote:
Same as what you can do with FairPlay
I'm not familiar with FairPlay, can you enlighten?

Quote:
It's a prime example of Apple having absolutely crap beta testing techniques.
And how many companies do like what just happened with Apple to patch some game that the bug should have been caught in beta?

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old October 23, 2003, 21:33   #38
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Ah, but you can't deny it.
Can't deny what? iPods appeal to A&F, Diesel-jeans type people, and Mac heads. It's obvious.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with FairPlay, can you enlighten?
You can restrict what computers can play them, for how long they can be played, how many times they can be played, how many times they can be burned, how many times you can transfer them to another computer or device, etc.

Quote:
And how many companies do like what just happened with Apple to patch some game that the bug should have been caught in beta?
Companies that do that obviously have crap beta testing techniques, as well.
Old October 23, 2003, 21:41   #39
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

Can't deny what? iPods appeal to A&F, Diesel-jeans type people, and Mac heads. It's obvious.
So you're saying that 30% (half are Windows users) of all MP3 players sold on the market are bought by that kind of people?!?!

Quote:

"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old October 23, 2003, 21:48   #40
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
So you're saying that 30% (half are Windows users) of all MP3 players sold on the market are bought by that kind of people?!?!

Absolutely. I see them all the time on campus, it's a generalization that has never failed me.

MP3 players are rather expensive by most people's tastes, and Apple's MP3 player is the most expensive and also has the worst battery life and smallest amount of features. But it is chic. Hence, the people who buy style over substance are more apt to buy the iPod, hence the A&F/Diesel Jeans crowd and Mac users.
Old October 23, 2003, 21:57   #41
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...19030926.shtml
Old October 23, 2003, 22:04   #42
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I'm sorry, what does that have to do with anything seeing as it hasn't happened yet?
Old October 23, 2003, 22:08   #43
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
I'm sorry, what does that have to do with anything seeing as it hasn't happened yet?
fallacy
Old October 23, 2003, 22:10   #44
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
fallacy
What is false?

Just because Jobs says he'd love to have a $100 player but "doesn't know how" to make it, doesn't say anything about the current market situation.
Old October 23, 2003, 22:15   #45
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Steve Jobs: We’re working on the next step.

If anyone can figure it out, it's Apple.

Old October 23, 2003, 22:18   #46
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Of course they're working on it. Why wouldn't they be?

But what does that have to do with today's market condition?
Old October 23, 2003, 22:24   #47
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Of course they're working on it. Why wouldn't they be?

But what does that have to do with today's market condition?
C'mon Asher. I'm not that dumb. But perhaps you are.
Old October 23, 2003, 22:28   #48
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

That was both lame and sad on so many levels.
Old October 23, 2003, 22:29   #49
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

No, actually it's the other way around.
Old October 23, 2003, 22:32   #50
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Sad and lame? Sure, that works for me.

So assume I'm a dumbass, tell me about Jobs' desire to eventually build a $100 iPod relating to today's market condition.
Old October 23, 2003, 22:36   #51
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Do I have to explain everything to you?!

No, I'm not going to. Figure it out. Reply when you have the right answer.
Old October 23, 2003, 22:37   #52
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Just who do you think you're fooling?

Here's a tip: You're nowhere near being the brightest person on these boards, so don't think you can try to pull elementary stuff like this without nearly everyone seeing what you're trying to do, and laughing at you.
Old October 23, 2003, 22:53   #53
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Just who do you think you're fooling?

Here's a tip: You're nowhere near being the brightest person on these boards, so don't think you can try to pull elementary stuff like this without nearly everyone seeing what you're trying to do, and laughing at you.
It is elementary, Asher, and you're missing it.
Old October 23, 2003, 23:05   #54
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Asher - Why don't you **** off back to wrecking the OT forum instead of spoiling the mac forum here.

You just come here to troll and post yet more BS. Piss off.
Old October 23, 2003, 23:07   #55
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
It is elementary, Asher, and you're missing it.
Because it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Asher - Why don't you **** off back to wrecking the OT forum instead of spoiling the mac forum here.

You just come here to troll and post yet more BS. Piss off.
I see you haven't quite figured out how to use the ignore list yet...

I come here because my name routinely comes up here in a rather negative light.

I figure if you guys are treating it as an off-topic, and then take it one step further when you constantly discuss technology here, you should expect off-topic technology geeks to take interest.

If you'd all like to continue your circle jerk with no more realitiy checks, take your spam to MacRumours.com or MacAddict.com or some other fan site.

Otherwise put up and shut up.
Old October 23, 2003, 23:08   #56
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

And I must say, everything was quite civil until you arrived.

Perhaps it is you that is the problem?
Old October 23, 2003, 23:19   #57
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Quote:

Heh, can't deny that, but you stepped around my point: That Apple made a successful product.

Quote:
You can restrict what computers can play them, for how long they can be played, how many times they can be played, how many times they can be burned, how many times you can transfer them to another computer or device, etc.
I wasn't clear: how does Windows set up the FairPlay on WMA files? What are the restrictions/allowances?

Quote:
Can't against argue that.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old October 23, 2003, 23:25   #58
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Heh, can't deny that, but you stepped around my point: That Apple made a successful product.
Oh, of course.

Quote:
I wasn't clear: how does Windows set up the FairPlay on WMA files? What are the restrictions/allowances?
Windows doesn't set up DRM on the WMA files.

The restrictions/allowances vary depending on the music store you choose. There's a variety of stores to choose from, rather than just one like on the Mac.
Old October 23, 2003, 23:26   #59
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Jesus, we need a mod.