Old October 21, 2003, 10:44   #31
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
You seem to have a wierd desire to defend something that at best can be decribed as a criminal act.
No. I have the weird desire to have a proper use of the word "terrorist". This is a criminal act without a doubt. This is a wrong act without a doubt. But this act doesn't qualify its autors as "terrorists", otherwise pretty much any maffia could be called "terrorist".
Old October 21, 2003, 10:47   #32
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 06:59
Quote:
I don't know how it is in the US
For comparison purposes, consider the recent kidnapping of two Americans in the Phillipines. The US sent considerable intelligence forces to assist in extraction. The result was a group of terrorists and one American dead, with the other successfully extracted.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 21, 2003, 10:48   #33
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 05:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
But this act doesn't qualify its autors as "terrorists", otherwise pretty much any maffia could be called "terrorist".
A quick google search about your mafia group turns up this:
Quote:
The target of this ongoing operation is the Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat (GSPC), a breakaway faction of the Armed Islamic Group (GIA). GSPC deserves special attention in America’s “war on terror” for its extensive ties to al-Qaeda and its devastating effect on Algeria.
http://www.ict.org.il/articles/articledet.cfm?articleid=450
Old October 21, 2003, 10:48   #34
Spiffor

I actually hate it when something is tagged with a fearsome and improper word to make a point.
I hate it when CyberGNU talks about the Palestinian "genocide" (I must not have been aware the Israelis are systematically killing every Pal they encounter in order to wipe out the entire population )
I hate it when some pro-Israeli screams "antisemite" everytime someone criticizes Israel (I guess you can't criticize a government without hating its whole population )
I hate it when any leader uses the word "terrorist" to tag whatever group that does not follow the rules (Berlusconi is an expert in this regard; IIRC, he even called "terrorists" people who democratically opposed him )
Old October 21, 2003, 10:51   #35
Spiffor

DanS:
Glad to see you people take the physical integrity of your citizens seriously (no sarcasm)

DD:
Thanks for the info. With this kind of info, we have now elements to judge if they are terrorists. The mere kidnapping + ransom recipe wasn't enough for that.
Old October 21, 2003, 10:54   #36
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 05:59
Quote:
I actually hate it when something is tagged with a fearsome and improper word to make a point.
I hate it when CyberGNU talks about the Palestinian "genocide" (I must not have been aware the Israelis are systematically killing every Pal they encounter in order to wipe out the entire population )
I hate it when some pro-Israeli screams "antisemite" everytime someone criticizes Israel (I guess you can't criticize a government without hating its whole population )
I hate it when any leader uses the word "terrorist" to tag whatever group that does not follow the rules (Berlusconi is an expert in this regard; IIRC, he even called "terrorists" people who democratically opposed him )
If you had cared this much, you could have found the exact same information I provided before me.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old October 21, 2003, 11:45   #37
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 11:59
i think DanS has nailed this one, it's a really pointless thing for the government to fight. things like this happen once in a blue moon and in the scheme of things, don't cost a great deal. but fighting this makes the government look as if it doesn't care about its citizens.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old October 21, 2003, 11:51   #38
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 03:59
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
For comparison purposes, consider the recent kidnapping of two Americans in the Phillipines. The US sent considerable intelligence forces to assist in extraction. The result was a group of terrorists and one American dead, with the other successfully extracted.
Did the government issue a travel warning and did these two ignore the warning?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 21, 2003, 12:08   #39
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 03:59
not sure about the travel warning. But that region of the Philippines has always been known to be very dangerous terrorist area.

Like I said. Eliminating any terrorists justifies the cost.
Old October 21, 2003, 20:09   #40
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
How does "Israel's regular programme of pogroms against the Palestinians" sound?