Old October 20, 2003, 21:24   #1
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 04:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
HYPERSMAC turn reporting and discussion thread
Visit The Recreation Commons

Your password (as the Hive) is bunker
Old October 20, 2003, 22:32   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 11:00
Thread topped.

Sorry Maniac
Old October 21, 2003, 06:47   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:00
I would request this thread to be detopped...

Personally I think this HYPERSMAC is a bad idea. If the Hivean members have too much time, why not contribute to the ACPSG? Now they are just drawing away attention from it.
Old October 21, 2003, 10:57   #4
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Well, I think there are 2 types of player in this game - ones that were in the first ACDG, who enjoy the RP'ing of all being in one faction with the political parties, etc etc - and some of that group didn't like the PBEM aspect of ACDG II, so abstained.

The Police game was started in response to their complaints, and has attracted them plus a core of the ACDG II players.

Then there are the other group of ACDG II players, who want to get their feet wet with PBEM's but have been reluctant to expose themselves in a game - they joined II to follow discussions re tactics, builds, strategy, etc, and are learning much. But are a little timid in giving their views 'cos so much hangs on decisions made.

The mini-game gives them a chance to play, and nothing really hangs on the game (hence the setting it up as a sidebar, arcade game within the "big game") so consequences of mistakes are just a laugh and a giggle, with no excoriation through semi-public forums.

That was the idea behind it anyway.

But no big deal if CyCon opts out - I can just remove the Hive from human control and make it an AI faction too.

Maybe a poll should be run to see if any CyCon members do want to participate

G.
Old October 21, 2003, 11:10   #5
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 06:00
I don't mind... sounds like fun to have a little fast-paced comptetition, and one can still devote time to the ACPSG.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old October 21, 2003, 14:16   #6
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I won't have time for it, and I agree with m,aniac, it takes time away from the other games. We have 2 DGs up and running already. Any more would severly hamper the smaller factions IMHO. Since I have a pretty active RL, and have a long list of things I want to do for this DG and the PSG, I won't be taking any part in a new game.

I'm sorry if some CyCon's wish to, they are welcome to, but I don't have enough free time I'm afraid

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old October 21, 2003, 15:28   #7
Corellion
Prince

In that case, it's probably best if the CyCon do not participate at all. With our two most active members opting out, it will be left to the less active members to play the turn. This will result in long turn times, and will only make the game less fun for the other participants.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
Old October 22, 2003, 07:53   #8
Phenix
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Morgan
Warlord

Local Time: 12:00
Yea, I don't think I can make any time for it either
Old October 22, 2003, 08:11   #9
Googlie
Emperor

As he's not part of any official team for the "big game", Tassadar is willing to be part of the CyCon team for this game's purposes if that helps any

(as he's online 24/7 it'll mean he'll prolly play most turns anyway - others can just look at the saves and comments in the thread and give advice from time to time)

thoughts?

G.
Old October 22, 2003, 08:16   #10
Phenix
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Morgan
Warlord

Local Time: 12:00
Very kind of him, seems fine to me

It will be nice to see if Tassadar really has any god-powers
Old October 22, 2003, 15:12   #11
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Tassadar is welcome to, but I think he will be the only one. I don't have any extra time, as I'm starting a new job tomorrow.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old October 22, 2003, 16:49   #12
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:00
Drogue:

Quote:
as I'm starting a new job tomorrow.
Besides the Revolutionary bartender job you already have?

Googlie:

Quote:
Well, I think there are 2 types of player in this game - ones that were in the first ACDG, who enjoy the RP'ing of all being in one faction with the political parties, etc etc - and some of that group didn't like the PBEM aspect of ACDG II, so abstained.

The Police game was started in response to their complaints, and has attracted them plus a core of the ACDG II players.
If only it were so! The two people that started the discussion for another single player ACDG/ACPSG were MrWhereItsAt and Darkness' Edge. However those two haven't joined the ACPSG... AFAIK there aren't any ACPSG members that don't participate in the ACDTG.

With all those subgames going on, I fear the ACPSG will have too little activity, as during the final days of the first ACDG. Even now the ACPSG has hardly started yet, there are troubles with not all the necessary polls being started or orders delivered.
Old October 22, 2003, 23:59   #13
Corellion
Prince

Sounds good, I'll participate too if I come in and its in.

As for the ACPSG, my polls are out, but I can't do much beyond that in the meantime.
Old November 2, 2003, 22:24   #14
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:00
So what exactly is this game? An internal PBEM like the PtWDG PBEMs are? If that is all it is then I would be interested, but the only PBEM experience I have is in the current Race for the Prize PBEM that was started in the ACDG and is crawling along slowly.

And the reason I haven't contributed much to the ACDG II is that it looks to be going in a direction and with settings I was really hoping against.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 3, 2003, 11:23   #15
Googlie
Emperor

Yes, it's just meant to be a fun PBEM with no prestige on the line or bonus/penalty points in any tourney.

Some factions are using the team aspectof the "big game" to help newer players along as regards both strategy and PBEM intricacies, so this "mini game" lets them experiment on these with nothing serious hanging on the outcome.

And speed is of the essence - whenever a turn gets posted, whomsoever sees it should download it and play the turn, then maybe post in the internal thread what they've done and why.

That way the game gets moving

So I'll launch it with Tass, Corellion and MWIA ad the Cycin turn players (playing the Hive)

G.
Old November 4, 2003, 00:37   #16
Corellion
Prince

And what direction were you hoping against MWIA?
Old November 4, 2003, 09:18   #17
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:00
I have just posted my reasons for inactivity in the game I was one of the two instrumental in stirring up interest for, but I will repeat it here.

I feel there is too much RP creeping into things. Although I see that most enjoy that, beyond the game itself, I do not. In fact I feel quite drained with most RP, and RP takes me more effort than regular game matters.

Further, most of the results of the setup polls I disagree strongly with, and I abhore Constitutions.

All these are just my own personal problems here, and I am clearly in a tiny minority (possibly of one) in these views. However, this is why I am not active in the slightest there. I think it is a shame that the game DE and I kicked off interest for has neither of us as active members, but what can you do? In a democracy game the majority rules, as it should.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!