Old June 27, 2000, 18:45   #1
Allard HS
Prince

Local Time: 08:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A new scenario... for Imperialism I
I have holidays now!! Getting bored again, like in the good old days, and finding some time to play a bit at the computer.

So.. With my newly acquired knowledge about Hex-Editing I created the very first custom-made scenario for Imperialism I. (might also make a scen for Imp2 later on, if I find the time). I thought maybe especially St Leo would like this.

I know.. I know, it's not civ2, but I thought you guys might like imperialism too. Instead of the Ottoman Empire, I added the Netherlands. The scenario (no big deal, just a slightly modified standard one) can be played by Holland!!! Very nice! Only the flags are not good, the Dutch don't use a half moon. I could change that too, but that'd make a 3 MB download instead of a 35 KB one.

And, if anybody wants to know how to do this too, just ask me.

Here's the link. I had to rename it to a gif file, but it is not. Just download it, and rename it to zip.

When downloaded, unzip to your Imperialism 1\Scenario subdirectory, run the game and select the new scenario
[This message has been edited by Allard HS (edited June 27, 2000).]
Old June 27, 2000, 20:38   #2
Eternal
King

Local Time: 01:04
You're wrong. My brother and I created one months ago, andprobably somewhere someone else has. Ours is set in the era of World War One. The great powers are all the same, but with big, beefy arsenals and stuff.

Have you discovered a way to have fortresses at the start of the scenario, or for it to start with powers at war.
[This message has been edited by Eternal (edited June 27, 2000).]
Old June 27, 2000, 21:19   #3
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 06:04
Actually, I downloaded several custom Imperialism I scenarios that were made a while ago - one involving America I believe.

But that's great guys! Keep them coming. Imperialism is a great game - anything you can do to improve the game - so much the better

Please be sure to let us know when your creations are finished, and where we may download them.

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Old June 27, 2000, 21:23   #4
Leonidas
King

Allard:

I tried your link, but all I get is a bunch of messed up encryption letters. It does not take me to your link.

------------------
Old June 28, 2000, 05:27   #5
Allard HS
Prince

quote:

You're wrong. My brother and I created one months ago, andprobably somewhere someone else has. Ours is set in the era of World War One. The great powers are all the same, but with big, beefy arsenals and stuff.
Have you discovered a way to have fortresses at the start of the scenario, or for it to start with powers at war.

Damn!!! I thought it was the first. I never saw another one. If so, where can I download them?? Can you send it to me?
I haven't been looking into fortresses, but there is a way to start in a war situation, I think. Well, at least you can make their relationship very bad.

quote:

Actually, I downloaded several custom Imperialism I scenarios that were made a while ago - one involving America I believe

where where where?

quote:

I tried your link, but all I get is a bunch of messed up encryption letters. It does not take me to your link

Geocities was a bit annoying with the .zip file. Just right click on the link, select "save target as...", and call the file holland.zip instead of holland.gif, or rename it in explorer.

It's nothing really special or something, just the standard map, but the whole idea was to add Holland as a country.
It's also possible to make an entire map, but that's gonna cost me far too much time. Might import the standard Imp2 map, however.
Old June 28, 2000, 09:55   #6
Leonidas
King

Here is an interesting page for Imperialism:
www.geosoft.org/igs/1/guide.html

Eternal: could you let us know where we can download your scenario? I would like to receive it!

Allard HS: I'll email you 4 Imperialism scenarios

------------------
Old June 28, 2000, 11:09   #7
Andz83

My Imperialism Patch (German version) dowesn't work anymore. Can anyone of you give me a link where I can get a patch for Imperialism? German version!

Old June 28, 2000, 15:32   #8
Eternal
King

I don't have Imperialism on my computer for some reason, and that means my scenario is gone too, but my brother has it. All I have to do is get it, make up the .inf, and zip it up.

Allard, as for setting relationships to promote war... It doesn't work, especially when you've built up all the nation's military power to Awesome x 2. It is therefore dependent on the player to start the war, but no one will keep their alliance!
Is it possible to combine the Central Powers into one, and to combine the Triple Entente? That may be the only way to do this. But either way, it's still kind of fun to play this scenario. Iw would make it more fun if the computer had the balls to attack any place with more than consrcipts to defend.
Old June 28, 2000, 15:34   #9
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:04
And, if anybody wants to know how to do this too, just ask me.

Please provide detailed instructions, as I can use this to revitalize the Imperialism community.

You're wrong. My brother and I created one months ago, and probably somewhere someone else has. Ours is set in the era of World War One. The great powers are all the same, but with big, beefy arsenals and stuff.

Please e-mail it to me.

Actually, I downloaded several custom Imperialism I scenarios that were made a while ago - one involving America I believe.

From where? If you use a resumer, it probably has a log or something.

My Imperialism Patch (German version) dowesn't work anymore. Can anyone of you give me a link where I can get a patch for Imperialism? German version!

English Version's Patch

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old June 28, 2000, 17:25   #10
Leonidas
King

Here's a site that contains some scenarios and strategies:

http://compsimgames.miningco.com/gam...perialism.html

And here's a site that contains cheat codes for the game: http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/imperial.html

------------------
Old June 28, 2000, 17:54   #11
Allard HS
Prince

Leonidas, thanks for the files you sent me. They were funny, but they were not "scenarios", merely saved games. Of course you can consider a saved game a scenario, but a scenario has some major advantages.
First of all, I always hate random maps, so I always play on a European map, but there are only a limited number of nations you can play as. Instead of Turkey, I used Holland in this scenario. For the rest the scenario is nearly the same as the standard 1820 scenario, but there are a few little differences, like the council has been switched off, Dutch hills have been made a little more full of coal and iron to make it easier, the year is 1815 instead of 1820.
All of these things a saved game cannot do, also in a saved game you can't choose your country, except if you hex-edit the game.
A few more advantages of scenarios are that you can save a much larger amount of them than the amount of slots for saved games can use, you can use a separate file linked to which contains flags, units, only for that specific scenario, and you get a nicer intro screen when you start the scenario.

Scenarios consist of s*.map, s*.scn and s*.inf. Saved games are called slot*.imp.

quote:

Please provide detailed instructions, as I can use this to revitalize the Imperialism community

Yes, Leo, I'll send you my notes as soon as I made them a bit understandable (like translating to English, etc.)

Oh yes, by the way, I found today a "way" to activate the cheat menu in Imp1 and 2, but it doesn't really work well yet, so have a little patience, and maybe shortly everyone can make easier scenarios.

I'm still trying to take the terrain pics of imp2 and import them in imp1. The importing part in imp1 works, but not the exporting part in imp2.

As you can see, I've been playing around a bit today... This "scenario"-thing of me won't be updated I think, it's just a little try-out after all, until maybe once I know how to add graphics with it.

Leonidas, nice signature by the way: "Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie". I used to know the sentence in Greek by heart, but I forgot it
Old June 28, 2000, 18:32   #12
St Leo

I'm still trying to take the terrain pics of imp2 and import them in imp1. The importing part in imp1 works, but not the exporting part in imp2.

How does the palette come out?

BTW, do you know how to un-gob the gob files? I am pretty sure they have a lot of goodies inside themselves.

P.S. Playing as Netherlands is fun - so far I have gobbled up most of France with my starting forces and an hoping that everyone does not declare war on me before I get a larger military.

------------------
St. Leo
Old June 28, 2000, 18:41   #13
Allard HS
Prince

quote:

How does the palette come out

haven't really given any attention yet. I haven't canged any real graphics yet (except the title Imperialism pic) but it appears that the game is much more easy about palettes and file sizes than civ2.

quote:

BTW, do you know how to un-gob the gob files? I am pretty sure they have a lot of goodies inside themselves

I found a good program to open GOB files (as well as any other file basically in windows, including the imperialism.exe file (very nice, look at the menu). You can download it here:
http://www.bome.com/Restorator/index.html
Unfornately, however, it works perfectly well with imp1, but doesn't recognize the RSRC files used in imp2, that is my problem.

quote:

Playing as Netherlands is fun - so far I have gobbled up most of France with my starting forces and an hoping that everyone does not declare war on me before I get a larger military

I haven't really done too much things. After all, it was just a test, but I tried to make things as hard as possible
I haven't even played the scen myself yet
Old June 28, 2000, 20:43   #14
Michael Daumen
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Does anyone know where I can get a crack to play the game without the CD?
Old June 29, 2000, 00:36   #15
Eternal
King

My brother created a executable file that can change the .scn file to text, using base ten values, and then change it back to scn. Again, I don't have this, but I'll post when I get them from my brother. I suppose I could ask him to email all the stuff, but it might take some time.
Old June 29, 2000, 15:24   #16
St Leo

Fact: Imperialism supports scenario filenames from s0 to s63, but I am not sure if it can display all of them in the selection box yet.

------------------
St. Leo
Old July 1, 2000, 04:56   #17
Allard HS
Prince

Hey, guys, I have also now edited and created a new pictwv4.gob file, so that the appropriate flags are available for the scenario. It is about 850 Kb of size. If anybody wants to see it, I'll upload it. Just tell me if you're interested.

quote:

Imperialism supports scenario filenames from s0 to s63, but I am not sure if it can display all of them in the selection box yet

Hmm, that would be a very user-unfriendly thing to do. But of course, you can simply delete the tutorials, that makes quite some space free, and they're **** anyway.

quote:

Does anyone know where I can get a crack to play the game without the CD

I have no idea, sorry. Perhaps anyone else?
Old July 11, 2000, 15:58   #18
Cylon

Sorry that I'm dropping by so late, Saint had sent me a message a week ago through ICQ, but I rarely check the thing nowadays.

For those who don't know me, IMO I used to be one of the greatest Imperialism 1 maniacs around. I'm excited to find out that there's a scenario editor so could anyone send over that editor and an instructions guide ? (Allan ? you can use Dutch - no translation to English required )

Anyone who sends his selfmade scenario's will be adored by me. (my email adress is showed above)

Old July 11, 2000, 16:05   #19
Cylon

Oh BTW, if anyone had checked that link to the imp site given by Leonidas, I'm that Colon with the top high score.

Old July 11, 2000, 23:26   #20
Allard HS
Prince

quote:

For those who don't know me, IMO I used to be one of the greatest Imperialism 1 maniacs around. I'm excited to find out that there's a scenario editor so could anyone send over that editor and an instructions guide ? (Allan ? you can use Dutch - no translation to English required )

Mijn naam is Allard, lul niet Allan, ik ben geen vieze engelsman.

Ik heb nu 2 scenariotjes gemaakt, een waarmee je Nederland kan spelen, dat heb je waarschijnlijk al gezien (link bovenaan op deze thread), ik heb daar ook trouwens nog een .gob file voor met NL'se vlaggen enzo, en ik heb ook nog een versie van het ww1 scenario dat ik heb ge-edit zodat er oorlog is tussen de landen vanaf het begin.

Maar ik ben nu op vakantie en heb niet alle benodigde **** bij me.

quote:

, I'm that Colon with the top high score.

Ja, Colon, we weten heus nog wel wie je bent hoor, ook al heb je je naam veranderd.
Old July 12, 2000, 11:31   #21
St Leo

And now a translation (j/k):

Mijn naam is Allard, lul niet Allan, ik ben geen vieze engelsman.

My name is Allard. Lol! Not Allan, that's a name for Englishmen losers.

Ik heb nu 2 scenariotjes gemaakt, een waarmee je Nederland kan spelen, dat heb je waarschijnlijk al gezien (link bovenaan op deze thread),

Two scenarios have been made, one about a Dutch spelling bee and another about a chic war (Bavarian link at the top of the thread).

ik heb daar ook trouwens nog een .gob file voor met NL'se vlaggen enzo, en ik heb ook nog een versie van het ww1 scenario dat ik heb ge-edit zodat er oorlog is tussen de landen vanaf het begin.

The towns in my *.gob file were flagged by Enzo, the WWI scenario that was G-Edited looks okay according to my Zodiac sign horoscope.

Allies are vacant, excreting, and biting.

Ja, Colon, we weten heus nog wel wie je bent hoor, ook al heb je je naam veranderd.

Yes Colon, you have done well by my standards.

P.S. Could you please edit out the MiningCo part of your link? It's really messing up the thread.

------------------
St. Leo
Old July 12, 2000, 17:52   #22
Cylon

LOL Saint ! Now translate this.

quote:

Ik weet het niet, sommige mensen zouden in verwarring kunnen geraken. Ik zou het spijtig vinden dat mensen Colon aanbidden en mij negeren, niet beseffende dat IK die magistrale Colon ben.

Ik heb de scenario nog niet geprobeert, het spel is momenteel niet geinstalleerd op mijn PC en ik het nogal druk de laatste tijd, maar ik zal ze deze zaterdag uitproberen.

quote:

Was dan langs een coffeeshop gegaan voordat je naar China ging.

Ben je op vakantie in Peking ? Vanwaar surf je dan; een cybercafé of heb je een laptop met modem bij ?

Old July 12, 2000, 20:59   #23
St Leo

Ik weet het niet, sommige mensen zouden in verwarring kunnen geraken.

The battle of Somme is a zoo with the warring krakens.

Ik zou het spijtig vinden dat mensen Colon aanbidden en mij negeren, niet beseffende dat IK die magistrale Colon ben.

If thou spitteth upon Colon unbidden in the dark, thou beeth befuddled with the magnificence of Colon's gestapo.

Ik heb de scenario nog niet geprobeert, het spel is momenteel niet geinstalleerd op mijn PC en ik het nogal druk de laatste tijd, maar ik zal ze deze zaterdag uitproberen.

The scenario is being proved via my magic spell that is installing it in my PC; do not think I am drunk just because I am wearing drag.

Was dan langs een coffeeshop gegaan voordat je naar China ging.

The coffeeshop in lungs is buying all the gongs in China.

Ben je op vakantie in Peking?

Was I on vacation in Beijing?

Vanwaar surf je dan; een cybercafé of heb je een laptop met modem bij?

Surf in Myanmar is da bomb; whose business is it as to whether I bring my short-circuited modem into a cybercafe?

------------------
St. Leo
Old September 29, 2000, 19:09   #24
Eternal
King

I'd just like you all, and especially Allard H.S. that I have three files on my webpage at http://www.geocities.com/societyeternal/ . I hope the links work for you, because they work for me.

I suppose I'll E-mail him about this, but Allard H.S.'s Holland scenario is on there, only as Holland 2. I modified it so that you start off with ports so you can get fruit, more military, better relations, some other things. He still gets credit in the .inf file and the text file, so he won't mind, well he?

Also, if some of you already have the ImpEdit things and GreatWar, I have modified versions up there, but I still have to put up the file that will help with the coordinates for placing htings like ports and civilians and such. I'll do this shortly.

Questions? Comments?
Old September 30, 2000, 08:50   #25
Allard HS
Prince

quote:

He still gets credit in the .inf file and the text file, so he won't mind, well he?

No, he doesn't mind. Actually, he likes it a lot. He thinks that he likes it a lot that his ****ty scenario created just for fun is actually played by some people.

No, I like the changes. I also made some changes on the WW1 scenario, to start with a war instead of a peace, allowing action instead of nothing, and some more.
Old September 30, 2000, 08:52   #26
Allard HS
Prince

haha!! Wow! I got my first censored word, even though it's the most harmless word in the world.
Old September 30, 2000, 10:31   #27
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Eternal, you know that you can put a mailto: link on your e-mail address.

[/nitpicking]

If I had a liitle more time, I'd be interested in helping out. Imperialism I was a great game... kept me up for hours each night...
Old September 30, 2000, 14:30   #28
Eternal
King

I didn't notice before that you had loaded Holland with iron and coal. I thought that it would be hard with maybe just one iron, one coal, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't take away the engineer or some money or something, because on my game right now I'm probably doing too good.

Note that the Great War scenario on my page now also stars powers out at war. No other changes though.

And Shadowstrike... I can't use mailtos because I use AOL, I didn't want to look in my BareBones HTML Guide to see how to make that, and I don't want E-mails from lazy people who wouldn't E-mail if they had to do more than click something.