Old October 20, 2003, 22:43   #1
Slohanz9
Settler

Local Time: 11:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
various questions & civ improvements
I decided to put my questions(and some comments) about civ 3 to (virtual) paper. Here goes

What enemy strategic resources do you see engaging in diplomacy? (from the F4 key). With my current game it shows the 1 iron i have as 0 extra, yet it doesnt mention my 1 horse at all.

How exactly are defensive bonuses in combat added up?
For example, a spearman in a hill city fortified behind walls.. is that added like this... 2 x 50%(hill) = 3 x 25%(fortified) = 3.75 rounded up to 4? x 50%(walls)=6?
The number you end up with can vary depending on if(or when) you round it up.

Also for a unit to recieve the bonuses for fortifying does a whole turn need to pass 1st? Or does the unit need a % of its movement left before it fortifies for it to take effect right away?

What decides how many turns anarchy lasts if yer not religious? It seems to last longer later in the game.

What besides luxuries, military units( and maybe having a stronger culture?) speeds up city resisters to end their resisting?

Does an army of 4 in a newly taken city act as 1 or 4 units vs. city resisters?

I think civ 3 is a great game The combo of managing so many aspects of empire with making war is well done and clearly improved over civ 2 in several ways.

Still here's what I'd change:

Offer an option for mass bombings. Rangestriking with 40-50 of these in a row takes a while, even longer because if you try to rush through it the cursor comes up incorrectly(as if u cant bomb the spot) until you move it just a touch within the square. If these units could bomb 10 at a time it would make the end game more fun.

Offer an option to keep the highlighted unit within the current stack. The way the game jumps around between stacks can realy get annoying. I see that it favors bombing units 1st which is good,,but being able to finish a full stack before the game switches you to 1 far away would simplify things.

My complements on improving the Go to orders! 1 problem remains. Units should be made to stay on the roads when a path without a road takes the same # of turns. You never know when you may need to cancel a go to order.

In very large stacks when you take actions (like activating) the units at the very bottom of the list you can't use shift to do a few at once because the game shuffles your place within the stack.

Lastly, queues own but how do you change it? Once an item is in the queue to be built in the future it won't let you build it right away should you need to.

Thanx in advance

Slohanz9
Old October 21, 2003, 01:40   #2
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

In the diplomacy screen, you see all resources that is possible for either party to trade.

If you have 1 iron that will appear because you can trade away your only source of iron.

Your horses would not have appeared because the AI civ must also have horses (and they must be connected to his capital) therefore it is impossible for you to sell yours to that AI civ.

Of course, if the AI civ has numerous wines and you also have one wine the wine will not appear in the diplomacy screen for either you or the AI, no trade is possible. There are two ways to find out if the AI civ has wine, either look at his map (assuming you have the map of ALL of his territory) or use the diplomacy option to have a look at his capital city and check out the luxuries and resources available in his capital (bearing in mind that he may have wine that is not yet connected to his capital so your back to searching the map).
Old October 21, 2003, 01:43   #3
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

The number of turns of anarchy depends on difficulty level. I can't remember the numbers but you can find them in the editor.

Anarchy usually seems to last from 3 to 7 turns if IIRC.

I vaguely recollect reading somewhere that anarchy may last longer if you leave cities in civil disorder, I'm not sure if my recollection is correct though.
Old October 21, 2003, 03:23   #4
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 12:00
Anarchy last only 1 turn for religious civs, for non-religious civs it depends on civ-size(based by experience, I haven't done any testing)

Units are the only thing that can pacify resisters. Each units can pacify one resister per turn. Adding more units than resistor doesn't speed the process but it makes the city (slightly)less suspectible to a culture flip.

Defensive bonuses are added together like this: Fortified unit on hill inside fortress across river = 25%+50%+50%+25%=150% bonus. If your unit is a spearman it will have an effective defense strength of 2*2,5 = 5
Old October 21, 2003, 08:04   #5
Stuie
King

Local Time: 07:00
Re: various questions & civ improvements
Quote:
Originally posted by Slohanz9
Lastly, queues own but how do you change it? Once an item is in the queue to be built in the future it won't let you build it right away should you need to.
Select the item in the queue that you want to remove and hit the [DEL] key. That will remove it from the queue, and you can now select it from the normal build list to be built immediately.
Old October 21, 2003, 11:29   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:00
Quote:
Anarchy last only 1 turn for religious civs, for non-religious civs it depends on civ-size
Not sure 100% but I think it's predomintaly based on difficulty level.
For example:
chieftain:
min 1...max 3
deity:
min 4....max 8 (?) (could be 6 or 7 though)
Old October 21, 2003, 11:37   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
How exactly are defensive bonuses in combat added up?
For example, a spearman in a hill city fortified behind walls.. is that added like this... 2 x 50%(hill) = 3 x 25%(fortified) = 3.75 rounded up to 4? x 50%(walls)=6?
The number you end up with can vary depending on if(or when) you round it up.
I'll try by example:
A fortified Spearman (1.2.1.) on a hill defending behind a river will give you:
Spearman = 2 +
Hill = 50% (of 2) = 1 = 2 + 1 = 3
fortified = 25% (of 2) = 0.5 = 3 + 0.5 = 3.5
river = 25% (again of 2 !!! ) = 0.5 = 3.5 + 0.5 = 4

So to put it differently : everything is counted from the units base numbers. So NO multiplying, only adding.
I'm not really good at explaining, but someone else will come along and do a better job.
In the meantime it will have to do.
Old October 21, 2003, 14:20   #8
PeaSoup
Warlord

Local Time: 04:00
Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Quote:
Anarchy last only 1 turn for religious civs, for non-religious civs it depends on civ-size
Not sure 100% but I think it's predomintaly based on difficulty level.
For example:
chieftain:
min 1...max 3
deity:
min 4....max 8 (?) (could be 6 or 7 though)
There is a "max government transition time" field in the editor, but it's part of the AI difficulty bonuses where a non-religious AI civ will only be in anarchy for 2 turns on diety, 3 on emperor.. etc

from my past experience, anarchy period is based on your empire size.. I'm not sure if difficulty comes into play, but I've had 1 turn anarchy periods with non-religious civ during an 0CC game.
Old October 21, 2003, 14:28   #9
alva
Deity

Quote:
I'm not sure if difficulty comes into play,
This is only from experience, but I think there is.
Old October 21, 2003, 18:47   #10
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

So a city on the top of a hill gets a bonus?
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old October 21, 2003, 18:52   #11
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Datajack Franit
So a city on the top of a hill gets a bonus?
Units defending in a city built upon a hill get the +50% hill defense bonus, yes.
Old October 21, 2003, 20:59   #12
Slohanz9
Settler

Many thanx guys

The explanations u gave for defensive bonuses make complete sense now.

Slohanz9
Old October 25, 2003, 14:29   #13
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 07:00
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Slohanz9, you might like what I call 'mass bombard'. Fortify or move all non-bombard units, and then with whatever bombard stack you are using, hold down 'b' and slowly (appr. 1 sec. apart) click on the target tile as many times as you want. Your units will then serially bombard... very cool.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 25, 2003, 14:54   #14
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 04:00
An Army of 4 (3 combat units plus the Army unit) seems to count as 4 for resistance suppression. You will also notice it counts as 4 for military police duty.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 27, 2003, 04:58   #15
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 20:00
appreciatted reading through this.