Old October 21, 2003, 03:42   #1
Ision
Warlord

Local Time: 11:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Progressive production rates
I have posted here before on the issue of "how the late game in civ sucks on regent and monarch", and how emperor and diety make civ "un civ-like" in order to create AI vs Human play balance.

My solution to maintaining a pure civ game, while at the same time maintaining play balance with the AI - is the ability to set progressive production rates per age.

In other words a patch would be released by the game designers that allows players to set the AI production rates for each age. (example: Ancient-10, Midevil-9, Industrial-8, Modern-7). Upon the Human player entering a new age, all of the AIs would automatically revert to the higher production rates.

There are many automatic trigger mechanisms in Civ - I do not believe that this one would be difficult for the designers to install. I readily admit that I am no computer 'genuis', so perhaps I am wrong here, and to create this option would be far too difficult. I do not know. What do you guys think?

Lastly, has this idea ever been presented to the designers before? Who could I foward this message to for consideration? Am I just spitting in the wind?

Sincerely, Ision

Last edited by Ision; October 21, 2003 at 22:12.
Old October 21, 2003, 07:40   #2
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:01
I don't remember this idea having been given before, so that may be a reason why it hasn't been implemented

The designers lurk here often, so I don't think you are spitting in the wind. But you may prefer to write a specific thread with an obvious thread-title in the Conquests forum (for them to have more chance to read), or to speak about it when a chat with Firaxians happen.

I think it is a great idea, and I think Firaxians will think of it as a great idea too. The problem with Civ's difficuty settings is that the end game is always easier than the early game if you managed to expand yourself.
In Conquests, the Firaxians have tried to adress it somehow with the Feudalism government (which boosts a Civ having small holdings), but your idea will go more drastically in that direction
Old October 23, 2003, 18:27   #3
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 12:01
Why can't they just make better gameplay
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old October 26, 2003, 15:21   #4
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:01
I would like all of the world/gameplay settings to be editible for each Age. That would allow all kinds of tweaking.
Old October 27, 2003, 11:44   #5
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 07:01
i think that production rate can be adjusted in the editor.

The reason why AI needs such bonuses at Emperor & Deity is that it becomes increasingly difficult to program an AI to challenge the human player at these levels. Giving bonuses is just the quick and dirty solution to make the game tougher. If Firazis spent a lot of extra time giving AI increased decision-making ability then the game would no longer be profitable for them.