View Poll Results: Which facet of enlightenment should we first direct our attentions to?
Doctrine: Mobility 0 0%
Information Networks 4 30.77%
Industrial Base 9 69.23%
Social Psych 0 0%
Write-in (OOC: in case you think we should FORCE the game to give us another choice) 0 0%
Xenobanana 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 21, 2003, 10:26   #1
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 06:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Official: Research Options
Though we have just arrived here on Planet, we cannot allow complacency and stagnation to take hold, when the prospects for enlightenment lie closer that ever before. We therefore now face the ever-important decision of which facet of enlightenment to direct our attentions towards for the time being.

Doctrine: Mobility will greatly improve our mobility, and allow us to quickly explore and map our new home.
Information Networks will help us to better organise the data we gain from our research, greatly speeding up our efforts in that area.
Industrial Base will greatly improve our efficiency in manufacturing small goods. It also affords us the opportunity to create better protected military units, and even offers us the chance to acquire much material wealth with the Merchant Exchange.
Social Psych will reward our curiosity with great insight into the machinations of the human mind. After all, people are social creatures, and to learn about their habits will allow us to better manipulate them for the greater good.

You have three days, and this is a decision-making poll.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old October 21, 2003, 11:03   #2
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 05:02
IB for the beeline.

Grapefruit Garden
Old October 21, 2003, 11:40   #3
Phenix
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Morgan
Warlord

Local Time: 12:02
agree.
Old October 21, 2003, 14:52   #4
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 07:02
I suggest Information Networks. While the Industrial Automation beeline is indeed important, Planetary Networks is also required for its conclusion. Moreover, Information Networks, followed by Planetary Networks, will give us access to Planned economics, with significant gains for our population growth and industrial production. While I agree that all of our efforts ought to be directed toward researching the beeline to Industrial Automation, as we do so I suggest that we should aim first at Planetary Networks, which means initially developing the more small-scale networks allowing information exchange within a base.
Old October 21, 2003, 15:19   #5
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 11:02
Beeline for Ind Auto. Therefore Ind Base

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old October 21, 2003, 15:41   #6
Corellion
Prince

Do not forget, Comrade AdamTG02, that in order for the IndAuto beeline to work, Ind Base must be selected first, otherwise there will be a turn when we will have none of the prerequisite techs to choose from in our research.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
Old October 21, 2003, 15:42   #7
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 08:02
base
Old October 21, 2003, 15:50   #8
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 07:02
Thank you for the information, Comrade Corellion. It seems you are more knowledgeable than I in this area, and thus well suited to the office of Secretary of Science and Social Engineering.

I had understood a "beeline" to be a plan whereby one decides to select all technologies on a certain path when one has the ability to, and was not aware that there was a method of planning what leads our scientists would obtain at any particular time. This knowledge will be invaluable fr our scientists in the future, and I will do my best to learn from those more enlightened than I on this subject.
Old October 22, 2003, 03:11   #9
Minute Mirage
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 13:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Corellion
Do not forget, Comrade AdamTG02, that in order for the IndAuto beeline to work, Ind Base must be selected first, otherwise there will be a turn when we will have none of the prerequisite techs to choose from in our research.
How so?

Ind. Base -> Ind. Econ. -> Inf. Net. -> Plan. Net. -> Ind. Auto

certainly works, but so should the following:

Inf. Net. -> Ind. Base -> Ind. Econ. -> Plan. Net. -> Ind. Auto

This is assuming Darsnan used CTRL+F2 to set up the techs, which seem to be the case given the current tech choices.
Old October 23, 2003, 00:13   #10
Corellion
Prince

Sorry... I almost always play as either the University of the Cybernetic Consciousness, so I don't know very much about how Info Nets fits into there. It was my understanding that one pretty much had to select Industrial Base first.
Old October 23, 2003, 05:03   #11
Minute Mirage
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 13:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Corellion
Sorry... I almost always play as either the University of the Cybernetic Consciousness, so I don't know very much about how Info Nets fits into there. It was my understanding that one pretty much had to select Industrial Base first.
One thing you might find useful is this thread in the General strategy forum, and the spread sheet I posted there. I've found that it makes planning beelines easier since you can tell when you're going to get which choices.
Old October 23, 2003, 05:59   #12
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 21:02
People should listen to minute mirage.
Old October 23, 2003, 09:38   #13
Corellion
Prince

I am.