Old June 24, 2000, 22:08   #1
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 06:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Second Front screenshots
I made this one in max zoom mode so it's a little big... As you can see the game is getting to the playable stage. This one is D-Day at about noon on Omaha Beach...If you look closely you will see Tom Hanks on the left

Old June 24, 2000, 22:11   #2
Captain Nemo
Prince

Here's another one from the British beaches where things are a little less hairy...

[This message has been edited by Captain Nemo (edited June 24, 2000).]
Old June 24, 2000, 22:16   #3
Captain Nemo
Prince

And the Airforce coming in for a bombing run:

Old June 24, 2000, 22:19   #4
Captain Nemo
Prince

And in part V: operation Cobra is in full swing aiming at the capture of Coutances and St-Lo

Old June 24, 2000, 22:34   #5
Sortub
Chieftain

Great job, Nemo! You're right -- the half-track graphic is mucho better. Thanks for the sneak preview... can't wait for the scenario to come out!

Old June 24, 2000, 22:50   #6
PolarisGL
King

Excellent indeed! Good luck on this one, Captain Nemo; I am looking forward to it.
Old June 24, 2000, 23:07   #7
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 07:04
A cute work, dude!!! Keep on smashing Nazis!!!
Old June 25, 2000, 02:14   #8
Dracon

hint: zoom out about twice to get a better resolution screenshot.

Old June 25, 2000, 06:38   #9
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 07:04
Blimy that looks great,
just a little question: will both the Germans and Allies be playable in this one or is it Allies only?

Anyway keep up the good work
Old June 25, 2000, 08:37   #10
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:04
Very impressive, Nemo!

My favourite unit is the British infantery.

One suggestion: green/brown camouflage on the bunkers would also look good.
Old June 25, 2000, 14:19   #11
Fast_Eddie

why don't you put the same icon over the shield for the aircraft and the infantry of the Americans? I like the white star a lot better.

------------------
Administrator at
www.quantum9.com
Visit the forums!
www.quantum9.com/forums

Old June 25, 2000, 15:03   #12
Captain Nemo
Prince

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the positive comments.

Just a few answers:
This one again will be a Nazi-smashing scenario, ie only playable as the Allies. It has so many features that are geared in that direction that I cannot make a playable from both sides:
The Allied are 2 Civs Airforce + Landforces so the planes can't land in France until airbases are secured. It's played in FW with an edit to the sav file so it's kind of a "Hotseat" game where you control 2 Civs.
The Allied motor vehicles require fuel to run and this has to be brought over from England in convoys.
The Allies have gliders with airborne infantry that need to land in Normandy (Try to teach the AI that)
And of course massive events which are geared toward the Allies...Basically I could build the reverse scenario but it would be an entire new game.
There will be approx. 8-10 phases each between 4 and 12 turns (Total 88 Turns) each phase will have its own rules, units and events.
Regarding the airforce Logo I wanted to keep it historical... That is the USAF logo... I also like the white star better. Maybe I should color in the background so it's not blue on green?
See this screenshot of the RAF fighters with their shields:

[This message has been edited by Captain Nemo (edited June 25, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Captain Nemo (edited June 25, 2000).]
Old June 25, 2000, 15:29   #13
Zulu Elephant
Prince

How the fuel thing gonna work?
Old June 25, 2000, 16:19   #14
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 22:04
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Mmm.... Another delicious scenario to crack
Old June 25, 2000, 16:47   #15
Fast_Eddie

well, I tould be cool if they all had the same little insignia over the shield. Instead of looking historical, I always just thought you couldn't make up your mind as to which one to use.

Say, why are the allies green? I would think they'd be a bluish color. That's just me though.

------------------
Administrator at
www.quantum9.com
Visit the forums!
www.quantum9.com/forums

Old June 25, 2000, 21:19   #16
Sortub
Chieftain

Nemo-

Enquiring minds want to know.

1)What is the timeline of this scenario? Do you include events like the Battle of the Bulge and Operation Market-Garden, for example?

2) How large is the map? Does it extend into Germany? Do Soviet Units appear on the Eastern edge at some point?

Or must I wait until the scenario comes out to slake my curiousity?

Thanks
Old June 26, 2000, 00:00   #17
Captain Nemo
Prince

A few more answers:

I am certainly hoping for Xin Yu to play this and tell me how to beat it... It is really tough! I have made it very difficult to win if you don't follow the "Historical path" (If you don't capture the objectives the Allied High Command "redirects" your reinforcements to the Italian Campaign ).

The Fuel: All Allied motorized units are "settlers" that eat 2 "fuel" per turn (The haystacks now look like fuel jerricans), the city population has been set to eat nothing so all the "fuel" goes to the vehicles... But all the terrain is set to produce 0 fuel too so now units can't be supported by any city in France. Only the British cities have "Fuel depots" that produce the fuel. But those cities can only support a limited number of units because they don't have many shields...The only way is to move the units to France, support them in the French villages but supply them with Fuel (Food) convoys from Britain... Granaries are Fuel depots. The text has been changed to read "Running out of Fuel" "Fuel supplies exhausted, your troops have abandonned their..." etc...

Scale of the game:
D-day is 11 turns, every day after D-Day is one turn. The game ends about the 25th of August when the German defense collapsed and the Wehrmacht retreated back to the Rhine.
This is about the time Paris was liberated, and the battle for Normandy was completely over (The Falaise gap was closed on the 18th). The map covers only Normandy and a piece of the coast of Southern England. The only "Big Cities" in France are Le Havre, Cherbourg, St Malo and Caen.

The game has D-Day, the battle for Cherbourg, the battle for Caen, Operation Epson, Operation Goodwood, Operation Cobra, the Mortain counter-offensive and the Battle of Falaise...

The green is the backdrop of the white star on most US fighting vehicles...That way the shield looks like some sort of US military insignia. For some reason I always hated the blue shields.

I am hoping to be finished in 4-6 weeks.

[This message has been edited by Captain Nemo (edited June 26, 2000).]
Old June 26, 2000, 16:00   #18
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:04
I made this one in max zoom mode

Why? SHIFT+Z Power!

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old June 26, 2000, 22:19   #19
Leonidas
King

I can't wait to play this one

Captain Nemo, maybe for your next scenario - you could do The battle of the Bulge from the German side - my we're demanding gamers, aren't we...

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Old July 3, 2000, 10:48   #20
Michael Dnes

I like the self propelled arty. Is it home made, or can I download it somewhere?

Old July 3, 2000, 23:58   #21
Sortub
Chieftain

Nemo-

FYI I just saw the old B&W movie "The Longest Day" on AMC a couple days ago. If you could somehow get a hold of it, coupled with Private Ryan, I bet you could get some bad-ass sound effects, especially with the Brit commandos' daring glider assault the bridge on the Orne.

Anyhow, watching that movie, in the context of your upcoming scenario, made me wonder:

Do you have French partisans?
Do you have free French Units somehow distinctly represented? Canadians? Or are they just "integrated" into the Americans and Brits? Seems to me that, for example, the Free French units could have more mobility than the others b/c they "parlez vous Francais."

Just thoughts anyhow.
Old July 4, 2000, 07:43   #22
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:04
The Longest Day...that was a classic. Favorite part was the climbing of the cliffs at Pointe du Hoc.

Michael Dnes: It's the Captain's SP artillery.

Sortub: I think I'll let Nemo answer so your anger isn't directed at me after you see what could have been in it.

Old July 4, 2000, 10:00   #23
Sortub
Chieftain

ANZAC-

To quote Wayne and Garth from "Wayne's World:" "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy."
Old July 4, 2000, 10:22   #24
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 02:04
It's "We're not Worthy!!! We're not Worthy!!!"

Get it right or pay the price!!
Old July 4, 2000, 23:40   #25
Captain Nemo
Prince

Just a few replies:

I have seen both movies (Both among my favorites). I have most of the sound effects already done and most are from "Saving PR".

I am however short on unit slots (Seems like there never is enough) so I have neither French Maquisards, Free French troops, Canadians or Polish... The Canadians are represented by British infantry and tanks and the Free French are rolled into the US forces (To which most of them reported)... I might be able to squeeze them in once the scenario is finalized but I doubt it.

I have many specialized units that take up slots and are important to the gameplay whereas French and Canadian units are really just adding "historical flavor".

Some things that are in the game: Airborne, British Commandos, gliders, DD amphibious tanks, Mines, bunkers, coastal artillery, demolition engineers, bazooka teams, Recon patrols in jeeps, multiple tanks types on each side... plus some unique ones representing special people, events and forces in Normandy... (You get to fight Michael Wittmann, for example)

Old July 5, 2000, 00:36   #26
Sortub
Chieftain

Veda-

You're right... I should have said "To paraphrase..."

This just shows how unworthy I am.

BTW one of the French partisans in "The Longest Day" was a really hot chick!
Old July 6, 2000, 02:29   #27
Michael Dnes

Thanks ANZAC. I wait eagerly for the scenario.

Old July 6, 2000, 07:21   #28
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:04
Nemo: I thought I remembered somebody made a post on how you could hex edit the number of slots for units. Or maybe I'm just delusional...because I don't have the URL.
Old July 6, 2000, 22:09   #29
Captain Nemo
Prince

I read that Allard was looking into it... It is possible IMHO since FW has 8 more slots than CiC...There should room to expand however it's probably not easy to do.

All the SF units are either my designs or Alex's. The 155mm "Long Tom" M40 is one of the many vehicles in RF that utilize the Sherman chassis... It will be available for general scenario use when I release Second Front... Hope you can wait?

If you need a SP artillery right now I recommend the Hummel and the Wespe from Red Front, I think they are as good as the M40.
Old July 7, 2000, 04:05   #30
Allard HS
Prince

Local Time: 08:04
quote:

I read that Allard was looking into it...

yes, but it's harder than I thought, I compared v2.02 to 2.42 to 2.62 to 2.78 to MGE to ToT got all of them separately now on my computer, but the coding between the exe files is different. Still there múst be a way, and I'm still struggling to find it.