View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Yankees?
I hate them 10 19.23%
I really hate them 3 5.77%
I really really hate them 28 53.85%
They are worse than the Santa Fe bananas 11 21.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 24, 2003, 02:19   #61
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The Marlins got good starting pitchers. I do worry about their releif bullpen pitchers.

It will be tough to win in NY. And the marlins are putting in a starter with short rest.

Go Marlins!
Old October 24, 2003, 07:51   #62
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 06:05
obviously gepap, your education at a top-flight school had no effect on you, you retrograde yankee-loving scumbag. no nobel for you anytime soon.
Old October 24, 2003, 09:36   #63
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Now that they've got a 3-2 lead, I would rather see McKeown save Beckett for a possible Game 7. They should go with Redman next. Starters on 3 days rest have a horrible record in postseason.

GePap, I'd much rather root for the Next US Steel. Ever heard of rooting for the underdog?
The Yankees are overpaid fata$$e$.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old October 24, 2003, 12:16   #64
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

GW was born on July 6, 1946, in New Haven, Connecticut. Yankee.

He did, however spend most of his childhood in the freak state of Texas.
Really? I didn't know that.

But regardless, very few people would consider GWB a New Englander...
Old October 24, 2003, 12:28   #65
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 07:05
Go Yanks! They're just dropping some games to make this more interesting

Nah, they played a terrible game last night - from Wells pitching all of 1 inning, to Contreras pitching poorly, to Enrique friggin' Wilson (I don't care HOW bad Soriano is doing, he's still gotta be better then Enrique!!!).

Bernie came so close to tying that thing up in the 9th, to. The Marlins can't be too confident in their bullpen.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 24, 2003, 18:38   #66
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
The Marlins can't be too confident in their bullpen.
If they have a lead late on Friday, they'll just have Beckett pitch the whole thing . Either that, or bring in Willis to close it out or something.

Quote:
They should go with Redman next. Starters on 3 days rest have a horrible record in postseason.
That's not totally true. IIRC, Beckett pitched a great game in relief (like 4 innings) in Game 7 of NLCS on TWO days rest.

Anyway, I'd rather have Beckett on 3 days and then Pavano on 3 days (if needed) rather than Redman or Willis starting another game .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 24, 2003, 22:18   #67
badams52
King

Local Time: 03:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
They should go with Redman next. Starters on 3 days rest have a horrible record in postseason.
That's not totally true. IIRC, Beckett pitched a great game in relief (like 4 innings) in Game 7 of NLCS on TWO days rest.

Anyway, I'd rather have Beckett on 3 days and then Pavano on 3 days (if needed) rather than Redman or Willis starting another game .
Well, starters going on short rest haven't fared well, just read my quote below. And pitching 4 effective innings of relief is no where near the same as starting a game.

That being said, Beckett on 3 days rest might still be better than well rested Redman or Willis.

from the desk of Rob Neyer at ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...rob&id=1631534

Quote:
On its immediate face, the data is stark. Since the introduction of the current postseason format -- six divisions, two wild cards -- there have been 31 games in which one of the starters was going on three days rest and the other had at least four.

The short-rested starters won only six of those 31 games. Ouch.

On the other hand, the short-rested starters lost only 15 games. That's a lot more than six, obviously, but there were plenty of well-pitched no-decisions in those 31 games.

From 1999 through 2002, short-rested starters faced full-rested starters 18 times ... and won only twice. Both were Angels last fall, as Jarrod Washburn beat David Wells in the Division Series, and -- who could forget? -- John Lackey beat Livan Hernandez in Game 7 of the World Series.

But even aside from those two well-pitched games, there were a number of others over that four-October span: Curt Schilling twice in the 2001 World Series, Tom Glavine in the 2001 NLCS, Kevin Millwood in the Division Series last year ... they just didn't get the W's.

Still, it's hard to sugarcoat this. Pitchers starting on three days' rest simply haven't fared well. Since 1995, short-rested starters collectively have a 5.20 ERA. I don't have the numbers for all other postseason starters since '95, but I do know that full-rested starters in games against short-rested starters have a 4.01 ERA. (I also know that both Theo Epstein and Billy Beane do have all the numbers. And as Epstein said Sunday, "The track record of pitchers on three days' rest in general is not good.")

Oh, and by the way, that significant difference is more significant when we consider that generally only the better starters are asked to pitch on short rest.
Old October 26, 2003, 03:01   #68
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:05
aaaahhh. I am at peace now

I admit I had my doubts about starting the pitcher on 3 days rest.

But it looks like the manager proved everyone wrong. That is so cool. He was taking so much heat on the radio talk shows for his decision. Now who looks like the dumbass?
Old October 26, 2003, 04:08   #69
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Well, starters going on short rest haven't fared well
This one did .

Btw, where is reismark to see that Weaver was never a pitcher with a great record .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old October 27, 2003, 10:35   #70
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Josh Beckett is The Man. The Yankees are Toast.

All's right with the world...

Old October 27, 2003, 10:44   #71
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 11:05
This thread is very strange.
Old October 27, 2003, 10:45   #72
Q Classic
Emperor

[nelson]ha ha[/nelson]
Old October 27, 2003, 12:31   #73
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The Marlins were the better team. Good for them. The Yanks were #2 this year. I can't say I'm particularly bummed about it.

It's been amusing to see the Red Sox fans at the office try to gloat about the Marlins winning. They try, but deep down they know as well as I do that they're grasping at straws.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 27, 2003, 12:54   #74
gunkulator
Prince

"Ding dong, the witch is dead.
Which o witch? The wicked witch!
Ding dong, the wicked witch is dead...."

Old October 27, 2003, 17:38   #75
Imran Siddiqui
staff

And whatdyaknow? Steinbrenner pissed off the Yankees coaching staff so much they are probably going to leave in droves! Zim is gone, Mazelli will probably be the new manager of the Orioles, and Stottlemeyer is fed up. Torre says he'll be back for one more year, but I'm thinking that's it.

Way to go, George, you've done it again!
Old October 27, 2003, 18:26   #76
Arrian
Deity

What George doesn't seem to understand is that Baseball is a flukey game, and as such, damn near anything can happen in a 5 or 7 game series. Further, the more money you spend, the more you tend to run into diminishing returns.

The Yankee core has aged. Their salaries have gone up, and their performance has not. In some cases it has slipped. Giambi is clearly injured, and it killed his production this season and in the playoffs. Bernie appear to be just finding his stroke again after his injuries this year, but his defense has completely gone. Jeter is held together by ace bandages & duct tape. Posada is the only "core" Yankee who has continued to improve since the championship run of 1996, 1998-2000. Jeter's best year was '99. So was Bernie's, IIRC.

Boone is garbage. George just *had* to go get him, but the reality is that his numbers were inflated by playing at Cincy. He can't be as bad as he played in the playoffs, but he isn't particularly good. Matsui was fine. Contreras hasn't been nearly as good as was hoped - his salary is the result of a Red Sox vs. Yankees bidding war. The rest of the teams must have had a ball watching that.

The starting rotation for next year looks shaky. They've put themselves in a position where they MUST sign Pettite, which of course gives him serious bargaining power. Big contract coming. Good pitcher? Yes. Second coming of Whitey Ford? Not quite.

The bullpen sucks (aside from Mariano, of course!), and no doubt George will order his minions to seek replacements. They will spend millions on relief pitchers and likely will do about as well as other teams that hunt through the bargain bin.

The Yanks are old, and bad defensively. Their strengths are power + patience & good pitching. If the pitching slips, the wheels will fall off entirely.

The reality is that normal baseball teams ride a good team for a while and then must rebuild. The Yankees are told by their owner that they must win every year. Thus, no rebuilding. This is dangerous. The reason they started winning in the mid/late 90s after a long period of suckiness is because they finally remembered to pay attention to the farm system (currently stripped bare).

-Arrian

Old October 27, 2003, 19:30   #77
badams52
King

Local Time: 03:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
The Marlins were the better team. Good for them. The Yanks were #2 this year. I can't say I'm particularly bummed about it.
I don't think you would be saying that if your beloved Yankees hadn't won the WS in over 50 years!!!
Old October 28, 2003, 09:31   #78
-Jrabbit
Deity

Quote:
What George doesn't seem to understand is that Baseball is a flukey game, and as such, damn near anything can happen in a 5 or 7 game series. Further, the more money you spend, the more you tend to run into diminishing returns.
This is an excellent point, Arrian. (Just don't tell George!!!)

Until MLB gets its house in order with some sort of salary cap or other device to ensure a semblance of competitive balance, we will have to rely on the vicissitudes of short-series fortunes to keep the rich from owning the trophy.

What George's $150MM+ payroll does allow is a free pass into the playoffs. That's the real problem with our national past-pasttime.

When I look at the NBA and NFL, I see a couple leages that are doing well financially and have no problem weathering a few rebuilding seasons from major franchises (current examples include the Knicks and Bears).

The Yankees have enough money that they can literally buy all the talent they feel they need, including bidding wars and signings specifically done just to keep teams like Boston (which does spend some money) from narrowing the gap.

I'd rather see such competition on the field than than in the checkbook...