Old October 23, 2003, 22:14   #31
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Not sure about you guys, but I do not distinguish much between "ally" and "enemy" in PBEM games; everyone is an "opponent" or, better, a "competitor". I try to treat my enemies with as much respect as my allies.

Renamed units are just plain annoying when you have to play against them on the battlefield. The Worker/Settler exploit is just insult to injury. Again, what's the big deal with leaving the base name of a unit untouched (for example, "Super Spearman of Death", or "Grog the Warrior")?

And, yes nye, I'm glad we're discussing these things, too. I misinterpreted the tone of your post as implying that there was no room for discussion on this issue.

Dominae
Old November 18, 2003, 16:15   #32
Brundlefly
Prince

Does everyone password-protect their turn? I am new to PBEM, so I dont know if it is common during a game to have a player just drop out of a game without telling anyone. I imagine it could be a problem to continue such a game if that person password-protected their turn... OTOH, if you dont use the password feature, you'd better be very certain that the person ahead of you within a turn is trustworthy...

One measure that could be taken to reduce damage of reload exploit is to make sure 'Preserve Random Seed' is checked whenever creating PBEM game. But you guys probably knew that...

Regarding combat logs, it would be a nice feature to include within a future patch of c3c. I picture a modified MIlitary Advisor screen which shows battle result summary and detail of all battles in the past turn in which you were the defender. Optionally would include a video replay of each battle.
Old November 21, 2003, 11:03   #33
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:05
Quote:
I imagine it could be a problem to continue such a game if that person password-protected their turn...
The administrator (he who set-up the game) will have a password that can override the others (and even change it)

-
Old December 9, 2003, 17:45   #34
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

bump for new game starting up.

May I also suggest that we think about topping this thread. And maybe we can plead with Dom if he can do some updating. I know the MZO game led to a fairly comprehensive list of exploits.

We also need to update it for the obvious points about out-of-game contact, no map trading (incl screen shots) until map trading is do-able in the game, no reloading of saves (doh), etc etc. They may be there but I did not see them at first glance.

Last edited by Beta; December 9, 2003 at 17:55.