Emperor

Local Time: 06:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
when the missus goes a-shoppin'...
those germans are great, aren't they?

http://www.dw-world.de/english/0,336...25_1_A,00.html

Quote:
German Bar Opens First Kindergarten for Men

Women in Hamburg who want to shop without dragging along grumbling male partners can leave them at the nation's first kindergarten for men. This adult daycare center has plenty of amenities to keep the big boys occupied.

The living room-sized space at one end of the Nox bar in central Hamburg looks like it's been perfectly equipped as a children's daycare center. There are comic books spread out on tables, comfortable couches, a remote-controlled car, plastic toys and even a playpen of sorts with a construction set. It's only when you catch a glance at the copies of Penthouse and Playboy scattered about that you realize this is not your average kids' area.

In fact, children aren't allowed here; women aren't either. The Nox bar has set aside this room for men only. More precisely, for men who have no desire to tag along with their wives or girlfriends while they look for skirts, scarves and handbags in the designer boutiques in Hamburg's premier shopping district.

Goal: Male-free shopping

Women wanting a few hours of Saturday shopping in peace can drop off their partners at the "Männergarten," where for €10 ($11.64), the men get a meal, two beers and an afternoon of boy's games, cards, conversation and sports on TV.

"The women are issued a receipt for their partners when they drop them off and can pick them up again when they return it to us later," said Alexander Stein, manager of the Nox bar and creator of the Männergarten.

He got the idea from a female customer who thought big boy day care would be a good way to get rid of her husband while she combed the nearby stores. "She found it all too stressful and thought this might be a solution. Both were very happy with the way it turned out," he said.

Keeping the boys occupied

Besides providing non-stop sports on TV and other grown-up toys, Stein has also arranged special presentations for the boys in his charge, like home-improvement workshops and men's literature. Upcoming topics include whisky tasting, cigars and cocktail mixing.

"My wife loves to shop and I don't," said Günter Rudden, 59, whose wife dropped him off so she could enjoy lunch and a little shopping with a friend. "Why should I have to suffer while she looks at shoes. This is a very good alternative."

He and his friend Jonny, who has come along with him, are watching a soccer game while enjoying a hearty veal ragout and a couple of wheat beers. Later on he said they might try to strike up a card game with some of the other guys there or just hang out and enjoy the atmosphere.

Old October 22, 2003, 09:12   #2
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 14:05
That's a great idea! Never thought of that...excellent. I love it. And only 10 euros, you get meal and two beers and you get to play there? That's just great!
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old October 22, 2003, 09:16   #3
Stuie
King

Local Time: 07:05
Why don't the men just stay home?

Mrs. Stuie going shopping = FREE TIME FOR STUIE
Old October 22, 2003, 09:27   #4
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
"Last week, I spent a couple of hours talking with two interesting guys who were here from [the city of] Wuppertal, which is about three hours away from here. I couldn't have done that if I'd stayed at home," said Holger Leez, who's as relaxed as if he were sitting in his own living room.
later in the article.
Old October 22, 2003, 09:37   #5
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Luckily for me my wife isn't a shopaholic. Even luckier, she understands that I'm going to come when I want to, and when I do, I'm probably not hanging around* watching her try on shoes.

But even when I do, hell, I can keep myself entertained - I'm 36 years old, I can find plenty to think about.

*Most of our "shopping" excursions usually have something to do with getting Sophie out and letting her walk around in a social atmosphere. I enjoy my daughter and like taking her to the mall, watching her meet and greet at the age of 2 is so damned precious.
Old October 22, 2003, 09:41   #6
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 12:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
Why don't the men just stay home?
The question should rather be: Why don't the men just stay there.
Old October 22, 2003, 09:44   #7
Pekka
Emperor

Because they are whipped.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old October 22, 2003, 17:56   #8
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
Because they are whipped.
EXACTLY!!

I Love my wife without reserve. I told her when we first got together, I love to shop:

I want food I shop for food

I want a pair of pants i shop for a pair of pants

I want a game I go buy it.

Shopping around for hours looking and looking and looking around?

NOT NO...................BUT

HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!

I will drop her off and go do something or she can go with someone..BUT I AINT doing it.

This has nothing to do with me loving her or not, it has to do with me:

I hate shopping..

Heres a hint boys:

Go grow a pair and tell your mate NO

ask her what part of the word NO she dont understand..

or do as i did..make it a special occaision to remember..believe me she wont ever insist again!!

Heres some useful ideas to avaoid getting on the "A-List" to go on a shopping spree:

1-Lots of deep breaths and heavey sighs when she hints that maybe she needs another store to shop at

2-Every few minutes quip in "OK, is that EVERYTHING NOW?"

3-"Man, this sux, about done dear?"

4-"Im done, you done also?"

5-A few rolled eyes and blank starers when asked for your opinion as to if something is a perfect gift or not?

Peace

Grandpa-"Not-the-shopper-she wants" Troll
Old October 22, 2003, 18:23   #9
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 05:05
Luckily for me my wife isn't a shopaholic. Even luckier, she understands that I'm going to come when I want to, and when I do, I'm probably not hanging around* watching her try on shoes.

But even when I do, hell, I can keep myself entertained - I'm 35 years old, I can find plenty to think about.

*Most of our "shopping" excursions usually have something to do with getting Ben out and letting him be rolled in his stroller around in a social atmosphere. I enjoy my son and like taking him to the mall, watching him goo and gaw at everyone at the age of 5 months is precious to me.

Thanks JohnT-- your feelings pretty much matched mine so I copied them

AS for the daddy day-care, it simply sounds like a decent men's club with an insulting premise as a hook.
Old October 22, 2003, 18:25   #10
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 05:05
Troll

Im always felt similarly about shopping. To me it was always just a means to acquire what I wanted to buy and not an event or activity in and of itself. Pre-parenthood I simply didn't go very often. . .
Old October 22, 2003, 18:27   #11
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Troll brings up an interesting point: Is there any use for this in the case of gay couples?
Old October 22, 2003, 20:36   #12
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Quote:
Troll brings up an interesting point: Is there any use for this in the case of gay couples?

or maybe even....
Old October 22, 2003, 22:28   #13
Q Classic
Emperor

i dunno. i don't mind shopping with my gf.

then again, she hasn't made me wait for her trying on shoes. usually, when she goes to a really boring store that i don't want to go to, i'll tell her i'll be at the radio shack or babbages or whatever that's nearby.