Old October 22, 2003, 08:49   #1
scum_bag
Settler

Local Time: 11:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Unit animation is sloooww
Hi.. I haven't played Civ 3 in a while and decided to install yesterday. The startup seems smooth but when it comes to gameplay, I noticed the unit animation and the unit disc (the ring surrounding the unit) is spinning at a very slowwwwwww speed. It's like one frame per second. Same goes with battles what so ever. How could this happen? I'm think it's something to do with compatibility because other interface (advisor panel, city panel) seem ok (not slowing down). Only the unit animation, same goes with the accompanying sound. e.g when a settler build a city, the sound follow the spped of the animation, which is really annoying! Please help. I used to play the game on this system before and it was not like this. Please helpp...

My system spec is:

Windows XP Pro
P3 1 GHz
512 SDRAM
Nvidia Geforce2MX 100/200 32Mb
scum_bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2003, 12:51   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:05
I don't see any reason why you should have any problem with that. No mention in the requirements for on board video mem.
IIRC that rig does not have AGP, so if you have other things in the background, it could be taxing the CPU. Try to turn off the team color and some of the animation. Use just the battle animation.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2003, 13:11   #3
scum_bag
Settler

Local Time: 11:05
I've turn off everything including the battles (which take up to 15 seconds, and worker irrigating 10 seconds). It seems that only animation sprite plays at a very very slow rate. I was surprised that Civ 3 program takes up to 98 percent of cpu process in the cpu usage bar. Is it normal? Does patching help? Or something to do with the driver? This thing really clogged up my mind. I also noticed that the fonts are not smoothed, (Even when font smoothing turned on). Thanks guys for listening to my whining .
scum_bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2003, 10:30   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:05
If you haven't installed any patches, do so (the last patch for vanilla civ3 is 1.29f, I guess). It may help with your problem, plus the patch fix lots of bugs and adds some things that were missing in the out of the box game.