Old October 22, 2003, 18:10   #1
Space05us
King

Local Time: 23:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hearts of Iron
overrated. Im playing a game as Brazil right now. Ive taken over most of South America, but my dissent was at 53% so I decided to settle for most instead of all. Ive joined the allies, and I have an army in north africa waiting for more transports to be built so I can land in Nationalist Spain. So far I have met NO resistance to my conquests, its been kinda lame.

when does the challange start?
Old October 22, 2003, 18:15   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 11:06
When you land in nationalist spain.

Don't expect an action packed game playing as a south american country... it's WW2 game, remember? most of the fighting is in europe and the pacific.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 22, 2003, 18:47   #3
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 12:06
What's Hearts of Iron?
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old October 22, 2003, 19:39   #4
Space05us
King

After steamrolling over Nationalist Spain with a 10 Inf Div and 2 Cav Div army I sped foward to the German border and fell flat on my ass after running into a wall of steel.

I think Im going to have to research more into aeroplanes and tanks.

A question:
Why when I was the one who conquered Nationalist Spain did Great Britain get control of thier territory, and why wont they annex it!?

Im playing as a South American country so I can get a grasp for the game, but I guess I really shouldnt judge it until after Ive played as a major power, eh?
Old October 22, 2003, 20:26   #5
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 13:06
Check wheter Nat. Spain still has some Colonies in Africa/Isles in mediterrean.
British Forces occupied it as they are in Allies with you and they 'prolly attacked with you.

With you expansionist behaviour Ally's normally declare War as early as 1937. Latest Patch? ;=)
Old October 22, 2003, 23:36   #6
Space05us
King

They still had a colony in Africa, but it shouldnt make a difference you only need a country's capital and the majority of thier territories to annex them. Also, when I was "liberating" the Iberian peninsula I was the only ally with forces there.

Funny thing, the US, Japan, and Italy never joined in the war and USSR took over all of Germany by October 1942. After that the "war" was over.
Old October 23, 2003, 01:48   #7
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

There's a Paradox games forum, btw, which covers HoI too. You may want to share your experiences there.
Old October 23, 2003, 02:23   #8
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 21:06
Check the Spanish provinces left and see if there's any victory points for holding them (I believe one in Africa does). Also, you were part of the allies before attacking Spain? Yes, the you'll find your supply line ran through Gibralter (English) and thus whoever supplies you gains the territory.
Old October 23, 2003, 03:27   #9
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

53% Dissent!!!!!! That's what happens when you decare war on your neighbours without a good reason. You do realise that your industry is running at 47% efficieny now, right? (100-53) I've never let my dissent get higher than 20% before enterting "panic mode" and moving all spending to luxurie goods for a couple of months.

Yeah, if you attack anyone from an allied territory then the territory you get goes to your allies. Better to make your own beachhead somewhere else - but then you need to set up your own supply convoys (and oil if you're using tanks and mech)

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old October 23, 2003, 08:24   #10
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Which patch are you on? To take most of SA and not getting steamrolled by the Allies ASAP does sound like an old patch to me... But if you think the game is too easy, you should try C.O.R.E. or the Stony Road to War. Both can be found at the official forum.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old October 23, 2003, 16:35   #11
Space05us
King

Quote:
53% Dissent!!!!!! That's what happens when you decare war on your neighbours without a good reason. You do realise that your industry is running at 47% efficieny now, right? (100-53) I've never let my dissent get higher than 20% before enterting "panic mode" and moving all spending to luxurie goods for a couple of months.

Yeah, if you attack anyone from an allied territory then the territory you get goes to your allies. Better to make your own beachhead somewhere else - but then you need to set up your own supply convoys (and oil if you're using tanks and mech)
it was my first long term game of HoI so it was the first time I realised my dissent had anything to do with my industrial productivity.

Damn it! Gibralter was Spanish when I landed on it, I hadnt intended to give back to the Brits

Quote:
There's a Paradox games forum, btw, which covers HoI too. You may want to share your experiences there.
pffft!! How dare you try to turn me away from Apolyton! you, sir, are a traitor!
Old October 23, 2003, 18:06   #12
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
it was my first long term game of HoI so it was the first time I realised my dissent had anything to do with my industrial productivity.
Heh, my first game, playing as Germany, I got beaten by Denmark

-Jam
Old October 23, 2003, 18:53   #13
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 21:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us

Damn it! Gibralter was Spanish when I landed on it, I hadnt intended to give back to the Brits

pffft!! How dare you try to turn me away from Apolyton! you, sir, are a traitor!
If England was at war with Spain, and they took Gibralter, then if you DOW Spain and join the allies, remember that if you take Gibralter it's classed as "liberation", because England wouldn't have been annexed by someone. Therefore, the liberation returns it to England, your supply line runs through England, and England gets any territory you control.

To annex a nation, you have to control the capital province + every province with victory points. Spain has a province in Africa with victory points, so that's why you couldn't annex them.

Hope that helps.

BTW, to take Spain out while gaining their territory, come in from the top and convoy supplies in.
Old October 23, 2003, 20:07   #14
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Dale

BTW, to take Spain out while gaining their territory, come in from the top and convoy supplies in.
Exactly. If you land too close to Gibraltar's supply grid (within a province or two - its a bit hard to tell sometimes) then the liberated territory goes to the UK.
Similarly if you're with the allies and you're 'liberating' China - don't land too close to Nipponese-occupied Hong Kong.

Of course, if Spain had gone Republican and actually joined the allies before being overrun by Germany then any of their territory you liberate will revert to (Rep) Spain.

If you do join the allies then you probably want to do it earlier (if you can deal with the Market effect from being at war) so that you get the benefits of their research.
Old October 24, 2003, 08:03   #15
Space05us
King

I just played a game as Brazil, with the 9mb patch ( why cant they release games when they are done developing them? ) Anywho....I was doing my thing, developing Brazil, and keeping peace with my neighbors as I had just learned in the game right before that the Allies arent fond of expansionists. Then Spain enters a civil war!! I think yo myself yippeee! a chance to expand and not be noticed! So I declare war on Nationalist Spain thinking to myself, "Yeah I'll show the Allies what it means to help a friend in need!" Then about two months later Germany and Italy get a stick up thier rear ends and decide to declare war on me. Im sitting there thinking, "oh well all the better, now WWII can start earlier" Well I was wrong. The Allies acting in an ironicaly, yet unexpectedly historical fashion, ignore my cries for help and refuse to allow me into thier alliance. By the end of '40 Brazil was down to one territory.

to make a not so long story even shorter, I got the patch, the game is better.
Old October 25, 2003, 11:12   #16
Space05us
King

this game is great (after the patch, before the patch its crap)

Imagine, if you will, 2,400 Canadians storming Tokyo, and eventualy securing the entire home island of Japan for the glory of Canada!
Old October 26, 2003, 19:43   #17
Havard
Warlord

Quote:

I think maybe he was referring to the Paradox subforum here at Apolyton...

Edit: http://apolyton.net/forums/forumdisp...s=&forumid=124
Old October 26, 2003, 21:25   #18
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 07:06
Quote:
I just played a game as Brazil, with the 9mb patch ( why cant they release games when they are done developing them? ) Anywho....I was doing my thing, developing Brazil, and keeping peace with my neighbors as I had just learned in the game right before that the Allies arent fond of expansionists. Then Spain enters a civil war!! I think yo myself yippeee! a chance to expand and not be noticed! So I declare war on Nationalist Spain thinking to myself, "Yeah I'll show the Allies what it means to help a friend in need!" Then about two months later Germany and Italy get a stick up thier rear ends and decide to declare war on me. Im sitting there thinking, "oh well all the better, now WWII can start earlier" Well I was wrong. The Allies acting in an ironicaly, yet unexpectedly historical fashion, ignore my cries for help and refuse to allow me into thier alliance. By the end of '40 Brazil was down to one territory.

to make a not so long story even shorter, I got the patch, the game is better.

Unexpected historical? The US (granted, not yet an ally in 1940) watches quietly while the Germans conquer Brazil? Jesus Christ and General Jackson (or James Monroe, in this case) ! HOI may be fun, but I thought the patch had fixed some of the unrealism. But then again "they" do say, "you want realism, dont play as a minor power"
Old October 27, 2003, 08:13   #19
Kropotkin
Emperor

Quote:
"you want realism, dont play as a minor power"
Damn right. I once lost a game as Finland. As most finnish poster here would tell you; That could never happen!
Old October 27, 2003, 08:26   #20
Jamski
Deity

Where is Finland anyway? Isn't it part of Norway, like Sweden is? Or is it semi-independant like Scotland/England?

-Jam
Old October 27, 2003, 08:32   #21
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Finland is Scandinavia's scrotum.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 27, 2003, 08:37   #22
Jamski
Deity

Heh, ruin a perfectly good troll, would you?

/me throws a dead goat at Oswald *

Take that!

-Jam
Old October 27, 2003, 09:49   #23
Kropotkin
Emperor

Finland isn't really a part of scandinavia. [/Besserwisser-mode]