Old September 24, 2000, 06:57   #1
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 07:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Colonization series scenario
The series of books by Harry Turtledove, I mean. How come no-one has ever done a scenario based around these books? A friend of mine has leant me a couple of them, and I`m really getting into it.

To this end, I`ve decided to take up the project myself. If anyone is interested, feel free to post or e-mail me anything you feel may be useful.
Old September 25, 2000, 09:20   #2
Paul Hanson
King

I`ve recieved only one e-mail on this so far. Is no-one else interested at all?
Old September 25, 2000, 11:26   #3
Eternal
King

Local Time: 01:04
I've read the World War series, but not Colonization. I could try to help by drawing some lizard soldiers I guess.
Old September 25, 2000, 13:33   #4
Paul Hanson
King

I have a graphic that I adapted to look like a Lizard soldier, but it`s not brilliant. Anything you can come up with would be useful.
Old September 25, 2000, 13:39   #5
Sortub
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:04
I am a huge Turtledove fun, and, although I am ashamed to admit it, I have "Colonization" and "Second Contact" on my bookshelf. It would be good if I actually opened them up, no?

Anyhow, my preference is for the "Great War" series. I started a thread about this earlier. I am absolutely enthralled with "How Few Remain," "American Front," "Walk in Hell," and "Breakthroughs," the latest in the series, which I just completed. I understand there is one more book coming out in this series, possibly followed by a WWII-era tetraology.

I have no experience in scenario design per se; however, being a huge fan of the series, I might be willing to brainstorm events, unit types -- "The Big Ideas" with someone who knows the books and is a more experienced scenario designer. That could be a lot of fun.

Anyone interested?
Old September 25, 2000, 14:22   #6
Paul Hanson
King

A friend of mine (the one who lent me the books) actually did a Great War scenario, but it wasn`t very good and I doubt that he still has it.
Old September 27, 2000, 17:59   #7
Paul Hanson
King

OK, this thread is open for business! Anyone with ideas to contribute, please do! I`ll start the proceedings:

There are the full 7 civs in the scenario. These are:

Americans
Germans
Soviets
The Race
Japanese
British
Neutrals (representing Canada, Sweden, etc.)

The Barbarians will represent the rebels in countries under the control of the Race, eg. Chinese Reds, Arab fundamentalists, Jewish freedom fighters.

Any more ideas? Anything at all?
Old September 28, 2000, 14:26   #8
Miner
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Hanson on 09-27-2000 05:59 PM

Any more ideas? Anything at all?

Use ToT. Use a second map to represent orbit and put The Races capital there (looks like a spaceship, call it 127th Emperor Hetto). That makes it completely safe from Humans (or rather, until we get spaceflight...)

Old October 1, 2000, 11:42   #9
Paul Hanson
King

I had thought of that. However, I`m not that good at designing scenarios by hand without the editors. I hear that someone is working on a editor for ToT, and if that proves to be good, I may well do a ToT version.
Old October 2, 2000, 00:19   #10
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 02:04
I'd like you to show me one, just one good scenario designed with the MPS editors. I tell you all you need is wordpad and paint shop pro.
Old October 2, 2000, 00:44   #11
Paul Hanson
King

Give me some time to finish this one and you`ll the scenario you`re looking for!
Old October 3, 2000, 21:06   #12
JohnPC
Settler

Local Time: 00:04
If you have ToT Paul, I think it could be a much more interesting scenario. You could represent the Space War of the Colonization series as well as the ability of the humans to use submarines for covert operations.

Also in Colonization: Down to Earth, war between the humans and the race becomes strictly a nuclear war. Though the Germans had a conventional armed forces on the attack, the Race just nuked their supply depots to render them relatively useless in the war.

I forsee problems in trying to simulate the assured destruction the Race will reign down on a nation that breaks the peace.

All that aside, I'd be happy to help with text editing, so you can work with ToT if you feel it would be a better choice for you. Also you could create most of the scenario under MPG edition and then use the Civ Converter to convert it to a ToT version and then add the extras ToT allows.
Old October 4, 2000, 15:02   #13
Miner
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Hanson on 10-01-2000 11:42 AM
I had thought of that. However, I`m not that good at designing scenarios by hand without the editors. I hear that someone is working on a editor for ToT, and if that proves to be good, I may well do a ToT version.

Err, actually thats me. I am now back working on it after handing in my project last week. Expect some more screenshots soon, but I don't pretend this is coming out any second now.
Old October 5, 2000, 18:02   #14
Paul Hanson
King

I`m working on the MGE version at the moment, and it`s coming on alright. I`ve got most of the cities placed, and I`m working on the units at the moment. At first glance, I have to admit, it looks a lot like 2194 Days of War, because I used the same city styles, but it should be distinctive by the time it`s finished.

What would be helpful is a list of cities which got nuked in the Worldwar series. As I haven`t read it, I don`t know if I`m placing cities on the map which shouldn`t be there.
Old October 5, 2000, 18:22   #15
JohnPC
Settler

Local Time: 00:04
Off the top of my head,

Rome, Berlin, Alexandria, Washington, Pearl Harbor, Tokyo, and quite a few tactical nukes as well as the Russian nukes that I can't remember.
Old October 6, 2000, 11:32   #16
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:04
Adding to list:

Seattle, Sydney, Melbourne.
Old October 6, 2000, 14:00   #17
Paul Hanson
King

Thanks for that.

I`m working on the units, as I said, but I`m having trouble with names. I`ve got basic infantry units (Wehrmacht, Red Army, etc.) but other than that, there`s not much to go on. There`s the German Leopard panzer (Drucker`s son plays with a toy one at Christmas) bt other than that military hardware isn`t mentioned much.

From what I can see, there are two options:

1. Make the names up.
2. For the nations that actually existed in the 1960`s, take the military hardware from the 1970`s and use that instead, to represent the boost in technology that Race has given to the Humans.

Which option should I follow? Or does anyone else have any ideas that I haven`t thought of?
Old October 7, 2000, 05:58   #18
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:04
Well, Lizard units shouldn't be tough. Infantrymales, killercrafts, landcruisers. Some sort of human collaborator infantry, too.
Old October 7, 2000, 08:34   #19
Paul Hanson
King

That is the easy bit. For the Lizards, I have Infantrymales, and I`m looking for suitable graphics for the killercraft and landcruisers. The problem is with the human nations; what should I do in this case? The Germans have Wehrmacht and SS. The Americans have G.I`s, the Russians have Red Army, the British have Infantry and the Japanese have Imperial Infantry (I think that`s right). But obviously I`d like tanks and planes with realistic sounding names, so I`m not sure what to do.