Old October 23, 2003, 09:51   #1
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I do not believe it..!
Quote:
See you later, anti-Gators?
Last modified: October 22, 2003, 12:21 PM PDT
By Paul Festa
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

In an effort to improve its corporate reputation, adware company Gator has launched a legal offensive to divorce its name from the hated term "spyware"--and so far its strategy is paying off.

In response to a libel lawsuit, an antispyware company has settled with Gator and pulled Web pages critical of the company, its practices and its software. And other spyware foes are getting the message.

"There is this feeling out there that they won the lawsuit, and people are starting to get scared," said one employee of a spyware-removal company, who asked not to be named. "We haven't been sued, but we've heard that other companies are being sued for saying this and that, so we've changed our language" on the company Web site.

Gator often distributes its application by bundling it with popular free software like Kazaa and other peer-to-peer programs. When downloaded, Gator's application serves pop-up and pop-under ads to people while they're surfing the Web or when they visit specific sites. Ads can be keyed to sites so that a pitch for low mortgage rates, say, can appear when a surfer visits a rival financial company's site.

The distinction between such "adware," which can report back to its creator with information about the computer user's surfing habits, so as to allow for supposedly more effective ad serving, and "spyware," which similarly monitors surfing habits and serves up ads, is sometimes a hazy one, and lies at the heart of Gator's libel suit.

Gator maintains that its software differs from spyware in that people are clearly notified before they download it, and in that they do so in exchange for a service, like the peer-to-peer software.

Spyware, the company maintains, is surreptitiously installed and gives the unwitting computer user no benefit.

But critics of adware companies question how clearly such downloads are marked--PC users may suddenly be deluged with pop-ups and have no idea where they're coming from--and protest that companies like Gator are collecting information without sufficiently accounting for what they do with it.

The defendant in the Gator libel suit, PC Pitstop, offers software to cleanse computers of spyware and other undesirable code, and until signing a preliminary settlement with Gator on Sept. 30, vociferously targeted Gator's application.

In settling the suit, which alleged false advertising, unfair business practices, trade libel, defamation and tortious interference, PC Pitstop apparently removed several pages from its Web site that referred to Gator's application as spyware--along with many that went beyond that to urge action against Gator itself.

Executives for both companies declined to discuss settlement terms, citing a confidentiality agreement. But Gator advised a reporter to "go to their new site and draw your own conclusions" about what PC Pitstop did to comply with the settlement.

PC Pitstop used to publish pages on its Spyware Information Center titled "Is Gator Spyware?" the "Gator Boycott List," and the "Gator Quiz." Those pages are now gone. But as of Tuesday, they could still be found in the Google cache, which keeps copies of missing or unavailable Web pages for a limited time. (By Wednesday the cache of those pages had expired.)

"PC Pitstop believes that Gator products degrade the quality of a user's PC experience," read the cached PC Pitstop page urging a boycott of companies advertising through Gator. "This belief is based on our hands-on use of Gator products and experience with hundreds of systems in our forums....Although Gator Corporation likes to make a distinction and call their products 'adware,' other sources make no such distinction. Independent research has shown that they collect extensive information and have not clearly explained how the information is used once it reaches the Gator servers."

A Gator executive said the suit, filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, was part of a larger strategy to educate spyware-removers about the company's software--and to put an end to the practice of calling it "spyware."

"If we find anyone publicly calling us spyware, we correct it and take action if necessary," said Scott Eagle, Gator's senior vice president of marketing.

In addition to going on the offensive against detractors, Gator has spent significant time in court defending its practices against the charges of companies that run Web sites that Gator has targeted with its ads.

Gator in February settled litigation brought against it by the New York Post, The New York Times, Dow Jones and other media companies. The Washington Post, L.L. Bean and Extended Stay America have sued the company, and their consolidated lawsuit will be decided by the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation in Washington, D.C.

Meanwhile, the courts have smiled on a company that operates a similar ad network. Last month, WhenU survived a legal challenge brought against it by moving company U-Haul after WhenU served ads for U-Haul's competitors on top of U-Haul Web pages.

Eagle declined to comment on other specific spyware-busters, such as the New York City-based Enigma Software Group or InterMute, in Braintree, Mass. Those companies have advertised that they can rid computers of Gator--but their Web sites no longer mention the software. Eagle said he could not talk about ongoing actions.

Enigma Software Group could not be reached for comment. InterMute, which previously has spoken openly against Gator, declined to comment.

"Companies like Gator are the Goliath that average computer users are up against in the war for online privacy," Ed English, CEO of InterMute, said last month in an interview with CNET News.com.

Gator said it would take on its critics on a case-by-case basis.

"There are going to be detractor sites," Eagle said. "What we can do is focus on education and getting the word out there. We have discussions on this topic whenever we need to."

For its part, PC Pitstop said that, whatever the terms of its settlement, it continued to target Gator's software on people's computers.

"PC Pitstop detects a variety of situations that we would consider problems, including certain software that we didn't think was in the best interest of the end user," said Dave Methvin, chief technology officer for the Web-based start-up. "We currently detect and recommend removal of Gator."

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5095051.html?tag=st_lh

Short version:

Gator can't be marked by spybot/adaware etc. as spyware anymore
Old October 23, 2003, 09:58   #2
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 11:07
They should just outlaw all popup windows except those innitiated by the user. Allowing them is like allowing people to interrupt a phone call with an ad.
Old October 23, 2003, 10:54   #3
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 12:07
Re: I do not believe it..!
Quote:
Originally posted by alva

I would not be too worried at this stage. They will simply invent a new term to describe Gator and adaware, etc will then label it as such.

The companies selling products that detect and remove Gator will just have to be a bit more careful about what they say about it.
Old October 23, 2003, 10:59   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:07
They are just cutting their own throats. Soon people will just block all popup windows.
Old October 23, 2003, 11:03   #5
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 06:07
I block all popups.
Why wouldn't everybody block all popups?
Old October 23, 2003, 12:34   #6
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 03:07
Re: I do not believe it..!
Quote:
Originally posted by alva

Short version:

Sure it can. It just can't be called "spyware"

Spybot has a little disclaimer that if you remove some stuff it identifies, that may break your license agreement on stuff you downloaded and you should no longer use it. Spybot isn't responsible for enforcing that, just for letting you know, and it gives you a list of items, so you're free to check or uncheck gator crap.

I never download that type of crap, but I do get gator cookies attempting to install from 3rd party sites every so often.
Old October 23, 2003, 13:26   #7
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 08:07
Whenever I hear gator... I associate that name with spyware.

So far... as far as I go... they haven't been successful in changing my mind about it.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old October 23, 2003, 13:33   #8
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 04:07
Gatar Corp is a bunch of dirty underhanded bastards!

They deliberately make it so you can't remove their spyware using the control panel. You have to delete all files and then edit your registry or else the little bastard will automatically reinstall itself upon the next reboot.

They know their product is unwanted spyware and that's why they make it so difficult to get rid of. If they were a reputable company then they wouldn't have to go to such extremes.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 23, 2003, 13:37   #9
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I take care of many computers for my classmates. And whenever I see Gator, I look immediately for a way to remove the crap applications that might have installed it
Old October 23, 2003, 13:40   #10
Spiffor

BTW, if you want to know the mentality of electronic advertizers, I stongly advise you to browse http://www.e-advertize.com (there is an English version, just click on the British flag). These *******s provide tools for spammers, and they flaunt the fact that nobody can trace the spammer back :angy:
Old October 23, 2003, 13:52   #11
gunkulator
Prince

IMO, there is a need for legislation here. Every program on your computer should be required to come with an uninstaller. Gator and its ilk are little more than bandwidth, cpu and screen stealers. They prey on the fact that most people a) don't read EULAs and b) are not computer literate enough to figure out how to uninstall by hand.
Old October 23, 2003, 14:57   #12
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

For my money, spam, pop-ups, and spybots are a much bigger problem for me and the country in general than telemarketers (and thats saying something cos I hate those ****ers).
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old October 23, 2003, 15:34   #13
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by gunkulator
IMO, there is a need for legislation here. Every program on your computer should be required to come with an uninstaller. Gator and its ilk are little more than bandwidth, cpu and screen stealers. They prey on the fact that most people a) don't read EULAs and b) are not computer literate enough to figure out how to uninstall by hand.
Couldn't this be used as evidence of spyware? In fact, by this definition, could it not be considered a virus (self-replication, unwanted, have to edit the registry and delete files manually, etc)?
Old October 23, 2003, 15:40   #14
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:07
I hope the courts do rule this isn't spyware. I think spyware is too polite a term. It needs to be referred to with something that would have lots of asterisks if posted here at poly

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 23, 2003, 16:15   #15
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Local Time: 05:07
Scumware has a nice ring to it...
Old October 23, 2003, 16:47   #16
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

maybe provocateurware was too long, too hard to spell, or already taken.
Old October 23, 2003, 18:40   #17
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
BTW, if you want to know the mentality of electronic advertizers, I stongly advise you to browse http://www.e-advertize.com (there is an English version, just click on the British flag). These *******s provide tools for spammers, and they flaunt the fact that nobody can trace the spammer back :angy:
Mail headers can always be traced, they're just hiding the easy part.
Old October 23, 2003, 18:50   #18
Spiffor

I would really appreciate it if you could teach us
Old October 23, 2003, 19:07   #19
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 05:07
Gator Corporation is the scum of the Earth, and this is so unbelievably ridiculous that...well...it's ridiculous.

I read another article that Gator'd countersued against websites that wanted it shut down. Unfortunately, spyware is completely legal as far as I can tell, just as long as certain keywords aren't specifically placed with ads (i.e. "Bank of America" goes along with "CheapCreditNow.com Get your credit report now quick and fast".)

But Gator does that, so fortunately we can still label them as evil scum who should be drawn and quartered.
Old October 23, 2003, 19:26   #20
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
I would really appreciate it if you could teach us
When I get to a computer where I have mail, I'll post some.

You could also probably google some information on SMTP headers and SMTP and EXIM in general.
Old October 23, 2003, 19:57   #21
Spiffor

Well, I've read this page, and I compared with the SMTP headers of mails coming from spammers or from my friends, and I haven't understood much

Besides, there seem to be no way to know the actual street adress of the spammer to go indulge some vigilante justice on him
Old October 23, 2003, 20:04   #22
Q Classic
Emperor

how 'bout we call it fvckware? because that's precisely what it does.

we run xpsp1 on many different types of computers, and when something breaks, more often than not it's because the idiot kids or teachers downloaded spyware like gator's "precisiontime" (it breaks some of the time-based encryption/authentication).

it's gotten so bad that we've had to restrict activex scripts so strictly that soem educational sites that they go to don't work, and i have to have a computer outside the domain download all the patches to put on SUS because windows/office updates don't work.
Old October 23, 2003, 20:23   #23
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Kazaa is evil. Kazaa lite is ok.
Old October 23, 2003, 23:33   #24
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
it's gotten so bad that we've had to restrict activex scripts so strictly that soem educational sites that they go to don't work
That's why they should use Java applets instead.
Old October 23, 2003, 23:38   #25
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Ugh. Java should go under fvckware as well.
Old October 23, 2003, 23:44   #26
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Well, I've read this page, and I compared with the SMTP headers of mails coming from spammers or from my friends, and I haven't understood much
Okay, first of all, you need to look at the full header. The return path is what you are looking for, because it is generated by mail servers between you and whoever sent the crap. It cannot be forged.

Quote:
Besides, there seem to be no way to know the actual street adress of the spammer to go indulge some vigilante justice on him
Actually, you can. Once you find out the IP of the spammer, do a reverse DNS lookup. Then do a whois search on the domain name. The record will show you where the company is.
Old October 24, 2003, 02:33   #27
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 04:07
The people at Gator are kind of late to be doing this though, for many people Gator is the first thing that comes to mind. It would be similar to GM saying they're not a car company.
Old October 24, 2003, 02:42   #28
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 20:07
Down the gurgler with gator...

Old October 24, 2003, 02:42   #29
DaShi
Emperor

Re: Re: I do not believe it..!
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
I never download that type of crap, but I do get gator cookies attempting to install from 3rd party sites every so often.
Like this site
Old October 24, 2003, 03:07   #30
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Ugh. Java should go under fvckware as well.
It seems that you don't understand what I said. Which is perfectly acceptable, of course.