Old October 23, 2003, 10:41   #1
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 07:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What 1st person shooter game should I buy?
The last 1st-person shooter game I purchased was Quake II - when it came out. Got a lot of enjoyment there. Then I put it down and played Civ exclusively since then. I bored with Civ now - even as C3C is coming out. So what good 1st-person shooters have their been since Quake II? Any that combine a mystery to solve would be a plus.
Old October 23, 2003, 12:28   #2
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 12:08
If you want a decent plot a FPS/miniRPG hybrid like System Shock2 or Deus Ex would be my choice.

(tick tock)

clock ticking until Skanky turns up to commend Thief2.

Btw that is also a good choice.
Old October 23, 2003, 12:35   #3
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 14:08
There's one that's a bit different, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It's multiplayer-only, but it's a team-based and objective-based game. It requires some use of strategy and brains, which you probably like. And the good part is, that this game is free.
Old October 23, 2003, 12:47   #4
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 11:08
Half-Life. (or was that released before quake 2? )

Do It Ourselves
Old October 23, 2003, 13:02   #5
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Naw it was released after Quake 2, i'd also recommend HL, all these new FPS dont bring anything new except fancy lighting effects /oldmanmode
Old October 23, 2003, 13:51   #6
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Naw it was released after Quake 2, i'd also recommend HL, all these new FPS dont bring anything new except fancy lighting effects /oldmanmode
Does HL have any weapon like BFG9000? That was awesome weapon
Old October 23, 2003, 13:53   #7
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
There's one that's a bit different, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It's multiplayer-only, but it's a team-based and objective-based game. It requires some use of strategy and brains, which you probably like. And the good part is, that this game is free.
I remember playing Wolfenstein as a shareware game in the days before internet. It is still shareware? Where can I d/l for free?
Old October 23, 2003, 15:10   #8
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Does HL have any weapon like BFG9000?
It was quite impressive but HL doesnt have one, and its better for it. Its abit like the all-killing weapons you find in scrolling shootemups, its just a case of saving it and killing everything in sight, wheres the skill in that?
Old October 23, 2003, 16:02   #9
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 03:08
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
I would recommend getting:

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory - free download, loads of fun, multiplayer only
Halo PC - of all the great things about this game the best is the enemy speech and AI, the little guys that scream and run away from you terrified are awesome

or wait a few months and get

Doom 3 - first person survival horror, the leaked alpha I played was really cool
Halflife 2 - might be the best game ever, definitely the best looking
Old October 23, 2003, 17:24   #10
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Halflife 2 looks suck compared to Doom 3. Doom 3 graphics are far better than anything else than HalfLife 2, but still better than that, too.

Also, it looks like Doom 3 will be a great FPS, just like Doom 1 and 2 were... HL2 will be a good game, but, IMO, not even close to Doom 3.

It might though be my nosalgia. I haven't really loved any shooters other than Doom 2...
Old October 23, 2003, 18:03   #11
Maquiladora
Emperor

I would guess HL2 is going to be a more intelligent type of FPS compared to Doom3, so they wont be direct rivals and i see Doom 3 as Doom with better graphics and HL2 (hopefully) developing new gameplay elements to FPS's.
Old October 23, 2003, 20:18   #12
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Play Half-Life, but try to get one that's bundled in with Blue Shift (one of the two expansions, and like C3C, includes the previous expansion.) Blue shift has graphics updates on its CD that bring the graphics up to 2001-ish levels. Halo PC is a good bet, but only if you have a good video card.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old October 23, 2003, 20:55   #13
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 03:08
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Those of you who are saying Doom 3 has better graphics must not have seen the same stuff I have. Download the 25 min HL2 graphics demonstration from fileplanet. There's a clip where they demo all the texture effects, camera effects, etc. There's a point where there's a camera on a tripod in front of you, and what the camera sees is projected on several TV's behind you. It looks crazy when that camera starts moving around. There's also a guy made entirely of water standing in a fire. That looks ridiculous. Doom 3 is absolutely a pretty game, but it does not have the same quality graphics as HL2.
Old October 23, 2003, 21:06   #14
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 06:08
Enemy Territory is, as previously mentioned, a great game.

Halo for PC is also wonderful(well, the demo is anyway...)

Not had much experience with the other ones.
Old October 23, 2003, 23:09   #15
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:08
Chrome is supposed to be a bit like Deus Ex 1.5.
I've only just started with it so I can't really judge but the terrains look amazing. Trees actually look like trees.
Old October 24, 2003, 00:22   #16
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 22:08
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
If you want a decent plot a FPS/miniRPG hybrid like System Shock2 or Deus Ex would be my choice.

(tick tock)

clock ticking until Skanky turns up to commend Thief2.

Btw that is also a good choice.
Awww, you recommended Thief for me.

(I've trained you well)
Old October 24, 2003, 05:28   #17
DrSpike
Deity

Hehe, nah, you just have a good taste in games, despite the one exception that proves the rule.
Old October 24, 2003, 10:03   #18
Maquiladora
Emperor

Quote:
Those of you who are saying Doom 3 has better graphics must not have seen the same stuff I have. Download the 25 min HL2 graphics demonstration from fileplanet. There's a clip where they demo all the texture effects, camera effects, etc. There's a point where there's a camera on a tripod in front of you, and what the camera sees is projected on several TV's behind you. It looks crazy when that camera starts moving around. There's also a guy made entirely of water standing in a fire. That looks ridiculous. Doom 3 is absolutely a pretty game, but it does not have the same quality graphics as HL2.
Well i havent seen it, but if only the plus point of a game is its graphics then whats the point in buying it? Or buying any game for that matter. I know im not too old, so i must have more sense I genuinely hope HL2 blows Doom3 away and i HOPE HL2 isnt just a sequel with fancy lighting and textures. Its about time the generic Doom clone died a quick yet painful death.
Old October 24, 2003, 11:54   #19
DrSpike
Deity

It's not only about graphics.......not for most gamers. HL had good graphics for its time, but on top of that was a milestone in the genre. Hopefully HL2 will be the same.
Old October 24, 2003, 15:24   #20
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
It's not only about graphics.......not for most gamers. HL had good graphics for its time, but on top of that was a milestone in the genre. Hopefully HL2 will be the same.
well surely its not about accurately modeling a historical conflict, having an elaborate well crafted plot, or having an intricate, well-balanced strategic challenge - these are FPS's after all

Run away!
Old October 24, 2003, 15:40   #21
FrostyBoy
Emperor

BustaMike is right, HL2's graphics appear to be better than Doom3's. This is from the video's I have seen though.

I have just finished Max Payne 2, and THAT is a great game. Infact, best FPS so far.
Old October 24, 2003, 15:49   #22
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

well surely its not about accurately modeling a historical conflict, having an elaborate well crafted plot, or having an intricate, well-balanced strategic challenge - these are FPS's after all
Have you ever played WW2 online? Granted, it's not typical 'FPS' in the first place, but it has all that except the plot (well, no more plot then any other WW2 game). Anyways, alot of mods devote themselves to historically accurate and realistic scenarios. And there is a great deal of strategy involved in many of them aswell, particularily the team based games. As for plot, well, Half-Life has a great plot - that's what sets it's singleplayer game apart from most others.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 24, 2003, 16:16   #23
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:

Run away!
Man are you blinkered. The games I mentioned above have well-crafted plots. Games like Operation Flashpoint with a historical setting are also popular. There is not much strategy, but that's true in almost all genres. One is allowed to play TBS games and FPS games you know.

If you don't like FPS, then that's your prerogative. However, at least play some games and get some perspective before spouting rubbish.
Old October 24, 2003, 16:24   #24
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

Man are you blinkered. The games I mentioned above have well-crafted plots. Games like Operation Flashpoint with a historical setting are also popular. There is not much strategy, but that's true in almost all genres. One is allowed to play TBS games and FPS games you know.

If you don't like FPS, then that's your prerogative. However, at least play some games and get some perspective before spouting rubbish.
Geez. I was following up your post about half life, which i thought you were not putting in the same category with more "plotty" ones like Deux Ex. And which does not have a historical setting.

Youre allowed to play anything - youre allowed to -play Myst and the Sims too. I was just choosing to be snarky about FPS, as some other folks are snarky about certain "sunday games" (indeed there was one such in just this thread!0. Ive been of good humor about those snarky posts, i wouldnt expect such thin skins on this.

Now maybe youve played the Sims, Myst, etc where I havent played any FPS. If you want me to not make snarky comments, and give leave to yours, thats fine, I will. Im not going to go invest in games that i dont think I will like, and dont want to support, just to make a point here.
Old October 24, 2003, 16:45   #25
Solver
lifer
Deity

Doom started the genre, and for that reason alone I hope Doom 3 is a success. The original Half-Life didn't quite seem nice to me, although I get the idea of what's good in it...

HL2 graphics are beautiful. But as anyone who has seen the alpha of Doom 3 will confirm, the lightning effects in D3 are amazing - so are the physics. It's using an engine that has never been used before in a game...

In Doom 3, I have a tough time distinguishing it from a movie. HL2 still looks like a game. One with fantastic graphics, but a game.
Old October 24, 2003, 16:51   #26
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:

Geez. I was following up your post about half life, which i thought you were not putting in the same category with more "plotty" ones like Deux Ex. And which does not have a historical setting.

Youre allowed to play anything - youre allowed to -play Myst and the Sims too. I was just choosing to be snarky about FPS, as some other folks are snarky about certain "sunday games" (indeed there was one such in just this thread!0. Ive been of good humor about those snarky posts, i wouldnt expect such thin skins on this.

Now maybe youve played the Sims, Myst, etc where I havent played any FPS. If you want me to not make snarky comments, and give leave to yours, thats fine, I will. Im not going to go invest in games that i dont think I will like, and dont want to support, just to make a point here.
Firstly, HL I said was a milestone, and I said that *exactly because* it was the real turning point in the genre away from the conception of FPS that you have. Pre-HL FPS IMO was not a good genre for SP.

Secondly I don't have a thin skin and you can say what you like. You wont get quite so battered though if you can make your arguments at least partially valid.

Thirdly I like Myst and I don't know where you got the idea from that I'd bash it. In fact you can probably dig up a recent post where I castigate someone for suggesting that a large majority serious gamers didn't like Myst.

Fourth I can see I may have provoked you before in Sims discussions, which is a shame. Since you don't post here much, and wont have seen my more serious Sunday Gamer posts, I feel I should clarify that point.

I don't really have anything against Sims players (gasp). I did in fact play it (for a few mind-numbingly boring hours) to form my opinion (and its just my opinion) that it is not a good game, and I think anyone's criticism is only going to be really valid for games they have experienced themselves. My real beefs are other issues about trends towards form over substance and related issues I know many sympathise with. The Sims is just the poster-child. And it will remain so because its funny and, like all good humour, my Sunday Gamer tirades contain more than a kernel of wistful truth.
Old October 24, 2003, 17:17   #27
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

I can't find Deux Ex anywhere on the...ahem....networks.

All I find is French stuff
Old October 24, 2003, 17:20   #28
DrSpike
Deity

Well obviously I find the use of such networks abhorrent. PM me and I'll tell you exactly which ones I think are the most abhorrent, and why.
Old October 25, 2003, 00:04   #29
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
I have just finished Max Payne 2, and THAT is a great game. Infact, best FPS so far.
I heard it was too short.

Personally, I just can't wait for Deus Ex 2.
Old October 25, 2003, 01:42   #30
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Ah, yes, it is short, but so? Lots of good things are short.