1 - They suck
2 - Ugly
3 - They're annoying
4 - Also useless
5 - The nickel is more popular at school
6 - Full of germs
7 - They stink
8 - Number one coin thrown in the garbage
9 - You can get AIDS from handling them (probably)
10 - I said so

Why do you think the penny is a burden to society whilst in circulation?

Old October 23, 2003, 22:27   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 04:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Except every **** sucking salesman will mark his goods $.96 cents so that you end up paying them an extra 4 cents per transaction. No multiply that by the number of transactions every bank, every super market, and ever (insert company here) makes and you'll see how the costumer will get hosed big time.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 23, 2003, 22:28   #3
Oerdin
Deity

If the problem is that they feel the penny (Canadian or American) isn't worth enough then the solution is to print fewer bills so that the value of the dollar (again Canadian or American) rises.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 23, 2003, 22:28   #4
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 11:09
No

5 cent increments, anything else results in death and deportation
Old October 23, 2003, 22:30   #5
Oerdin
Deity

Hell, they can't even execute serial killers with in 30 years of him being caught nor can they deport the millions of illegal aliens who flood into the US and Canada each year.
Old October 23, 2003, 22:31   #6
Zylka
King

but just think

They could then take all of the useless copper and build a new "capital of the world" on the Manitoba/Idaho border, with the largest copper dome ever built (for the senate house). The surrounding city could probably be copper as well, even the fire hydrants
Old October 23, 2003, 22:41   #7
Oerdin
Deity

In the old TV show Robotech didn't all of humanity nearly get wiped out and they decided to build their new capital city on the Montana-Alberta border? Gee, if I got to decid where to build the major city where most of humanity would live then I would ceretainly choice some where with better weather.
Old October 23, 2003, 22:43   #8
Zylka
King

They did? That's pretty cool - I want to see some robotech
Old October 23, 2003, 22:43   #9
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 05:09
IIRC, it costs the US Mint $0.007 to mint every penny. So they're not a complete waste.

Of course, this is compared to $0.001 (probably) for any type of paper currency...
Old October 23, 2003, 22:43   #10
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 06:09
Greatest Zylka thread ever.
Pennies are an abomination.

I make this thread my lock of the week.
Old October 23, 2003, 22:48   #11
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

I once went to get a candy bar. I was off by one cent...Luckily, they let me get away with it.

Down with pennies!
Old October 23, 2003, 22:49   #12
Zylka
King

Cost of production is minute compared to the societal devastation. Think of all of the straight aggravation and time lost (trillions of man hours) over people having to rifle through s* coloured discs which have no use other than being thrown in a jar at the end of the day?

Then - the fools who yearly amass these jarly preserves and further waste the time of good bank tellers with their redistribution to equally aggravated hands. I bet the local coin roll manafacturing union doesn't want you to believe this one

...and what is that old, macabre saying - again? Let's go to the top of the Sears tower and throw pennies at people below.

You'd like to think this is mostly harmless, except when the annual death toll report (due to) celebratory handgun firings and subsequent bullet droppings on unsuspecting victims reaches 17 in LOS ANGELES ALONE
Old October 23, 2003, 22:51   #13
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

"Find a penny, pick up, and all the day you'll have good luck." - United States Mint Propaganda
Old October 23, 2003, 23:24   #14
monkspider
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
"Find a penny, pick up, and all the day you'll have good luck." - United States Mint Propaganda
Damn capitalist bastards.
Old October 24, 2003, 00:35   #15
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Pennies haven't been made of just copper for years now. They're little sandwiches of zinc and copper alloy. DIE PENNIES, DIE!!!

"They keep turning up like a bad penny!!"
Old October 24, 2003, 01:55   #16
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

A North American penny is of immense monetary value. Consider the Philippine pisado. Like our penny there are 100 of them to their peso. Funny thing is, there are 54 pesos to the dollar. Even the poorest Philippino couldn't be bothered to pick one up.

So, keep your penny, and be proud.
Old October 24, 2003, 02:31   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

never!

like has been said. Things will cost 4 more cent

I'm a cheap bastard, and I save pennies.
Old October 24, 2003, 03:41   #18
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
A North American penny is of immense monetary value. Consider the Philippine pisado. Like our penny there are 100 of them to their peso. Funny thing is, there are 54 pesos to the dollar. Even the poorest Philippino couldn't be bothered to pick one up.

So, keep your penny, and be proud.
Turkey.

And....I'm beginning to thing we should introduce three more "penny-like" things. So...

"And you can get this great product for UNDER A HUNDRED DOLLARS! If you call now, you can get it for only $99.99999!!! +$5.50167 sh."

Old October 24, 2003, 04:01   #19
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Dissident, I suggest we form an alliance, perhaps an association is more apt, to save the Great American penny. Agreed? Something to raise a glass to during our upcoming visit, at least.

Tass, I'm still wondering about what that great state in asia minor, Turkey, has to do with this BS.???
Old October 24, 2003, 04:31   #20
monkspider
King

I think it is time for the return of the two and three cent pieces.
Old October 24, 2003, 07:22   #21
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 07:09
"Penny for your thoughts". Just another cheap way for the man to get into your head.
Old October 24, 2003, 07:24   #22
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 07:09
Sudbury, Ont.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	nickel.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	55711  
Old October 24, 2003, 07:38   #23
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 12:09
What does that prove?
If pennies were taken from circulation then it would not make things 4 cents more. All the items that sell at (eg) $ 49.99 would then sell at $ 49.95. They are priced like this to make the stupid believe that they are not spending $ 50 at all. So you'd save 4 cents.
If the smallest unit of hard currency was set at 5 cents then you'd have arguments about which way to round things that depended upon weight, etc.
Old October 24, 2003, 07:44   #24
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

So the smallest denomination in Canada is 5c? Well if a shop charged me something like $0.96, I would feel the need to be awkward (as they are being dishonest) and insist they write me a cheque for 4c to make up the shortfall In reality, it shouldn't be allowed for them to use an amount that has a subdivision lower than the lowest denomination in circulation.

Speaking of currencies, why doesn't Turkey just lob a load of zeroes off the end of the lira?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 24, 2003, 07:49   #25
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by duke o' york
What does that prove?
If pennies were taken from circulation then it would not make things 4 cents more. All the items that sell at (eg) $ 49.99 would then sell at $ 49.95.

Go ask all of the people who switched to the Euro a couple of years back if prices went up or down.
Old October 24, 2003, 07:56   #26
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

So instead of paying $ 49.99, you have to pay $ 50.00.
Inflation would have got you anyway.

Prices only went up with the Euro because of unscrupulous capitalists (, ) realising that they could fleece people who were unaware of the value of the new currency compared with what they were used to paying.
Old October 24, 2003, 09:03   #27
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:09
I wouldn't mind seeing the euro 'pennies being dropped.
All I do with them is carry them around.

And a couple of years ago one of them (frank version though- pre-euro) got stuck in my washing machine.
Damned thing costed me more then a 100€ to get rid off, for a 15 min. job btw.
-
And now the the Italians want €1 notes 'cause they're not used to such big summes of money being a coin.
Old October 24, 2003, 09:09   #28
Q Classic
Emperor

something must be up with my eyes. it didn't look like "pennies" at first.

Quote:
...and what is that old, macabre saying - again? Let's go to the top of the Sears tower and throw pennies at people below.

You'd like to think this is mostly harmless, except when the annual death toll report (due to) celebratory handgun firings and subsequent bullet droppings on unsuspecting victims reaches 17 in LOS ANGELES ALONE
pennies dropped off the sears tower won't kill anyone. terminal velocity isn't high enough to kill. maybe hurt, yes, but not kill.

as for bullets: the reason why they can kill is because of the velocity they're shot out at. in ideal conditions, the energy that they start with in the beginning of the parabola should roughly equate to the energy at the end of it. a bullet shot out of a gun can kill or maim, no matter what angle it comes down from.
Old October 24, 2003, 09:26   #29
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:09
Quote:
Originally posted by alva
And now the the Italians want €1 notes 'cause they're not used to such big summes of money being a coin.
I can't wait the 5€ coins
Old October 24, 2003, 12:55   #30
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Quote:
as for bullets: the reason why they can kill is because of the velocity they're shot out at. in ideal conditions, the energy that they start with in the beginning of the parabola should roughly equate to the energy at the end of it. a bullet shot out of a gun can kill or maim, no matter what angle it comes down from.
Would friction with the air slow the bullet down to terminal velocity, given a long enough arc?