Emperor

Local Time: 06:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
CBS Lawyers Worried Over "Reagan" Miniseries
Quote:
XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX FRI OCT 24, 2003 09:42:38 ET XXXXX

CBS 'REAGAN' REVEALED: WATCH NANCY HIT DAUGHTER, SEE RONNIE CURSE

**Exclusive Details**

Former first lady Nancy Reagan has reached out to Hollywood heavyweights, including Merv Griffin, to somehow stop an upcoming CBS-TV movie about her life and times with Ronald Reagan.

A concerned legal department at CBS repeatedly called producers of the upcoming miniseries THE REAGANS, during filming, looking for assurances that shocking claims made in the telefilm could be backed up, productions sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT. Irritated producers reminded the network they had already cleared the script, with few notes!

THE REAGANS is now at the center of a media and political firestorm.

Insinuations that Nancy pill-popped are scattered throughout the story, as are repeated allegations that Ronald Reagan was homophobic, and was suffering from Alzheimer's disease as early as 1984. [Nancy rushes to a doctor to warn that her husband is forgetting things.]

Actress Judy Davis's portrayal of Nancy Reagan appears to be inspired by the Joan Crawford camp biopic MOMMIE DEAREST; wild mood swings, dramatic lighting, and tart-mouth insults are hysterically delivered by Davis.

[The showcase line "Ketchup is a vegetable! It is not a meat, right? So IT IS a vegetable" is likely to become the "No wire hangers ever!" camp highlight of the season.]

One camp scene shows Nancy and Ron both standing nude [wrapped in towels] when they first learn from NBC's John Chancellor they have won the election.

Pages 32, 33 of script:

INT. REAGANS' HOUSE -- PACIFIC PALISADES -- DAY

A FILM CREW is swarming all over the living room, setting up lights, cameras, etc. Reagan sits in the middle, putting on his own make-up.

INT. UPSTAIRS -- PATTI'S BEDROOM

Nancy arguing with Patti, (age 5), who won't come down.

NANCY: Come on, Patti. They're all set to go.

PATTI: No. I won't. I want to stay up here and play.

Nancy grits her teeth, and takes Patti by the wrist.

NANCY: No arguing. We're going down, right now.

PATTI: No! No! No! No! NO! NO!

Nancy reaches out, and slaps Patti. Patti reels, holding her cheek. Nancy

freezes.

*** Nancy is shown talking with her own mother in one flashback.

Page 16 of script:

NANCY'S STEP-FATHER: Nancy, I don't know what you see in Hollywood. As far as I can tell, it's nothing but Communists and drug addicts.

NANCY: It didn't used to be this bad -- did it, Mother?

NANCY'S MOTHER, EDITH: Hell, no. When I was here, it was just wall-to-wall Jews and queers.

President Reagan, played by James Brolin, is shown cursing his staff during one Oval Office meeting.

Pages. 152 of script:

REAGAN: "Rank amateur"! Who does that sonofa***** think he is? I'm the goddam President of the United States, I'm his boss!

Lawyers for CBS have growing concern that few of the most-intimate scenes created for THE REAGANS have much historical documentation or on-the-record witness corroboration.

Complicating matters is the film's charge that Reagan believed AIDS was biblical revenge -- as actor James Brolin finds his family in a real-life fight with the disease!

An immediate member of the Brolin/Streisand family is currently suffering from HIV, according to press reports.

During a scene in the film which his wife pleads with him to help people battling AIDS, Reagan says resolutely, "They that live in sin shall die in sin" and refuses to discuss the issue further.

Actor Brolin delivers the uncorroborated words with extra confidence.

In 1992, Streisand wrote an essay condemning Reagan over AIDS:

"I will never forgive my fellow actor Ronald Reagan for his refusal to even utter the word AIDS for seven years, and for blocking adequate funding for research and education, which could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives. Then came George Bush, once the moderate, who, in a Faustian bargain, allied himself with the same primitive, gay-bashing, immoral minority."

Streisand, who spent weeks on the set of THE REAGANS, did not return calls seeking comment.

Developing...

-----------------------------------------------------------
Filed By Matt Drudge
Reports are moved when circumstances warrant
http://www.drudgereport.com for updates
(c)DRUDGE REPORT 2003
Not for reproduction without permission of the author
http://www.drudgereport.com/rr4.htm
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old October 24, 2003, 15:20   #2
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 07:12
But did they include Peter Lawford's claim that Nancy Davis gave the best head in Hollywood? Because if they left that out, I'm not watching.
Old October 24, 2003, 16:59   #3
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:12
Is Nancy played by a guy or something?
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old October 24, 2003, 17:02   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 11:12
Evil communists....they provide no evidence....THEY PROVIDE NOTHING! Yet they want to destroy Regans image.....those criminals
Old October 24, 2003, 18:17   #5
Hueij
Emperor

Welcome back Fez...
Old October 24, 2003, 18:24   #6
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Maybe they'll show clips from Hellcats of the Navy.
Old October 24, 2003, 18:34   #7
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Brolin looks nothing like Ronnie
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 24, 2003, 18:44   #8
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 12:12
Don't know, doesn't look too bad.

Put it this way: when I saw the pic, I thought "Ah, he's supposed to be Reagan". Although not exactly like that, of course. I don't think in sentences like that.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old October 24, 2003, 18:48   #9
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Old October 24, 2003, 18:51   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
when I saw the pic, I thought "Ah, he's supposed to be Reagan"
But would you have thought that if you didn't click on a link that said "Reagan" on it .

This is not just a complaint with this one, but in many movies/miniseries, etc, they could do much better in making the person look like the historical figure. Then again, this is the leftist view on the Reagan Presidency .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old October 24, 2003, 19:01   #11
Jules
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Evil communists....they provide no evidence....THEY PROVIDE NOTHING! Yet they want to destroy Regans image.....those criminals
The Comrade is starting to change on us. What's next: Fez swears allegiance to the memory of Stalin?
Old October 24, 2003, 21:58   #12
MrFun
Emperor

Re: CBS Lawyers Worried Over "Reagan" Miniseries
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk

http://www.drudgereport.com/rr4.htm
DUH

Look at Reagan's incredible neglect during the early period of the AIDS crisis when others had some knowledge of what was going on -- he was/is homophobic.

That's not a claim -- that a fact -- his actions, or rather, his lack of actions during his presidency speaks louder than words.
Old October 24, 2003, 22:26   #13
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Most importantly, how well can this dude pull off senility?
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old October 24, 2003, 22:29   #14
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 21:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Brolin looks nothing like Ronnie
Yes, clearly they should have used someone or something with similar acting skills to portray him- a block of wood, a cabbage, or a boulder. Failing that, if anyone had had a spare Pinocchio puppet, stuffed with sawdust, with strings still attached...

Nancy Reagan's hair to be played by deep frozen meringue.

Ronald Reagan's hair to be played by an oil slick. Artificially dyed, of course....

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old October 24, 2003, 23:10   #15
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom

Yes, clearly they should have used someone or something with similar acting skills to portray him- a block of wood, a cabbage, or a boulder. Failing that, if anyone had had a spare Pinocchio puppet, stuffed with sawdust, with strings still attached...

You do realize that it's James Brolin that is playing Reagan, right?

Pretty similar acting skills if you ask me.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old October 25, 2003, 09:41   #16
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Re: Re: CBS Lawyers Worried Over "Reagan" Miniseries
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

DUH

Look at Reagan's incredible neglect during the early period of the AIDS crisis when others had some knowledge of what was going on -- he was/is homophobic.

That's not a claim -- that a fact -- his actions, or rather, his lack of actions during his presidency speaks louder than words.
Just wondering -- because I really have no idea -- what actions were taken by presidents in response to the influenza, polio, tuberculosis, and other epidemics that occured in this country's history?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old October 25, 2003, 09:44   #17
Evil Knevil
Prince

Local Time: 12:12
One word.

Contras.
Old October 25, 2003, 14:18   #18
MrFun
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: CBS Lawyers Worried Over "Reagan" Miniseries
Quote:

Just wondering -- because I really have no idea -- what actions were taken by presidents in response to the influenza, polio, tuberculosis, and other epidemics that occured in this country's history?
Take one example that was not an epidemic crisis, but showed how quickly and strongly the government can take effective action.

In the same period of the early AIDS crisis, there was an incident of a few bottles of contaminated Tylenol pills, and upon this realization, the government went rhough incredible means to ensure that all Tylenol products were contained through a recall.

The government's reaction was swift and strong, with several agencies working in coordination. And yet, it turned out that the contamination was not widespread at all.

Also look at the Legion's disease crisis -- the government wasted no time in taking action to prevent the spread of this disease, IIRC.
Old October 25, 2003, 16:06   #19
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Re: Re: Re: Re: CBS Lawyers Worried Over "Reagan" Miniseries
Quote:
Take one example that was not an epidemic crisis, but showed how quickly and strongly the government can take effective action.
Can we take an disease that is spread through behavior and see how well the government can contain it when there is little interest in the populace to do so? I'm sure that the gay population would have liked closing the bath houses by government edict seeing as how they weren't closed of thier own accord during this time period and only served to worsen the epidemic.
Old October 25, 2003, 16:32   #20
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Mr. Fun, in those actions, was it done through direct measures taken by the President, of was it through the normal operations of the involved agencies?
Old October 26, 2003, 07:26   #21
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Hello?
Old October 26, 2003, 08:08   #22
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

HAVE U HEARD OF THE OZBORNES IT'S A SHOW WITH THE OZZY OSBOURNES AND IT'S REALLY GOOD IT'S CALLED THE OZBORNES
Old October 26, 2003, 09:45   #23
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Most importantly, how well can this dude pull off senility?
Reagan? Very well actually, during he's whole life he never went of caracter, a class actor indeed.
Not only was he able to convince the whole world but in end the even his doctors fell for it.
Old October 27, 2003, 00:12   #24
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Hello?
Hi.
Old November 2, 2003, 21:29   #25
MrFun
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CBS Lawyers Worried Over "Reagan" Miniseries
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Can we take an disease that is spread through behavior and see how well the government can contain it when there is little interest in the populace to do so? I'm sure that the gay population would have liked closing the bath houses by government edict seeing as how they weren't closed of thier own accord during this time period and only served to worsen the epidemic.
Apparently, you have not read other past posts where I have mentioned that the responsibility during the early crisis came from different groups of people -- including gay activists who refused to take reasonable precautions with the bathhouses.

Really -- your assumption that I am narrow minded on this issue is an insult.
Old November 2, 2003, 21:30   #26
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Mr. Fun, in those actions, was it done through direct measures taken by the President, of was it through the normal operations of the involved agencies?
I believe the iniative went through the appropriate government agencies, rather than the executive itself.
Old November 2, 2003, 22:16   #27
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun In the same period of the early AIDS crisis, there was an incident of a few bottles of contaminated Tylenol pills, and upon this realization, the government went rhough incredible means to ensure that all Tylenol products were contained through a recall.

The government's reaction was swift and strong, with several agencies working in coordination. And yet, it turned out that the contamination was not widespread at all.
I don't know the govt's level of involvement, but IIRC Tylenol itself issued the massive recall to regain consumer confidence.

Saw it on a tee-vee program, I did.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old November 3, 2003, 00:37   #28
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:

How about just don't have sex!

It's a preventible disease provided people exercise some measure of personal responsibility. Why blame Reagan?
Old November 3, 2003, 01:41   #29
DinoDoc
Deity

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CBS Lawyers Worried Over "Reagan" Miniseries
Quote:
Really -- your assumption that I am narrow minded on this issue is an insult.
You still didn't answer the question. What would you have the government do when the main people being affected with a disease at the time were resistant to taking any steps to slow its spread?
Old November 3, 2003, 01:47   #30
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
What would you have the government do when the main people being affected with a disease at the time were resistant to taking any steps to slow its spread?
VERY good question. I think the actions of the gay community showed that no one knew about the horridness of the AIDS disease... so to heap all blame on Reagan for not doing anything about it is a bit silly.