Old November 3, 2003, 02:48   #31
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 06:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

I believe the iniative went through the appropriate government agencies, rather than the executive itself.
In that case, we still don't have an instance of any president prior to Reagan acting the way you say he should have. There is simply no precident. I doubt you will find one, either, since the type of action you appear to want, in the field you appear to want it in, simply wasn't considered to be part of the job at the time.

If that is the only complaint you have against him, you really should re-assess it.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old November 3, 2003, 04:48   #32
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:12
Does the miniseries contain explicit "docudrama" scenes of Frank Sinatra's "visits" with Nancy at the White House while Ronnie was away defeating Communism?

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old November 3, 2003, 08:42   #33
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Don't know -- but it does have footage of Reagan reading about the antichrist, and saying, "that's me!"
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old November 3, 2003, 09:32   #34
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
What would you have the government do when the main people being affected with a disease at the time were resistant to taking any steps to slow its spread?
VERY good question. I think the actions of the gay community showed that no one knew about the horridness of the AIDS disease... so to heap all blame on Reagan for not doing anything about it is a bit silly.
Yep -- for the 10,000th time, I agree with you that we cannot blame Raegan by himself for the AIDS crisis.
Old November 3, 2003, 09:36   #35
MrFun
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CBS Lawyers Worried Over "Reagan" Miniseries
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
You still didn't answer the question. What would you have the government do when the main people being affected with a disease at the time were resistant to taking any steps to slow its spread?
City health departments/agencies could have muscled their authority to force a temporary shutdown of all bath houses until a new program of public information about safer sex was implemented.

On the federal government level, the president could have proposed to the legislature to finance this new public information effort. The president could also have opened his eyes to the information that the Cancer Development Center had about this new strange disease and also opened his eyes to the ever-increasing number of deaths from this strange, new disease.

The president could have also pressured for greater, immediate financing -- his stumbling and bungling with the actual financing he helped implement was too little, too late.
Old November 3, 2003, 10:01   #36
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I think its funny... I'm not convinced this is at all accurate. I hate Reagan, but not for fictitious reasons.
Old November 3, 2003, 13:32   #37
MrFun
Emperor

And why should CBS cow to extreme right-wing censorship just because they want to portray Raegan's positive attributes and his negative attributes??

Nothing horrible about portraying him as a human being with self interests, rather than as a deity or demi-god.
Old November 3, 2003, 13:32   #38
MrFun
Emperor

dp
Old November 3, 2003, 19:31   #39
MrFun
Emperor

One more point -- I would expect the same for a bio-documentary on Bill Clinton.

Portray him for what he was/is -- with the mistakes he made, along with his accomplishments.

But this objectivity might be too hard to grasp if you are the type who gets all lovey-dovey over any political leader.
Old November 3, 2003, 19:43   #40
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 07:12
Quote:
Nothing horrible about portraying him as a human being with self interests
If that was it, you wouldn't have the hubbub, but it seems like it is going further and portraying him as an evil man who conned the US, making up things just for kicks.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 3, 2003, 19:47   #41
MrFun
Emperor

If they're going too far the other direction to distort him as evil incarnate, then that's just as wrong.

But showing that he lacked compassion for, and was ignorant about the conditions of the early AIDS victims, would still be accurate.
Old November 3, 2003, 19:52   #42
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 07:12
Quote:
But showing that he lacked compassion for, and was ignorant about the conditions of the early AIDS victims, would still be accurate.
Showing he was ignorant about AIDS is fine, showing him saying (basically) that AIDS was the plague to kill gays is a bit too far in other direction, don't you think?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 4, 2003, 00:17   #43
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Showing he was ignorant about AIDS is fine, showing him saying (basically) that AIDS was the plague to kill gays is a bit too far in other direction, don't you think?
Well now this thread is moot in light of recent development.

But let me say this -- if CBS would have had no primary source with Raegan saying this, then I agree with you -- that would be blatant slandering.