Old October 24, 2003, 21:19   #1
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Local Time: 05:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Apple Has Let the Cat Out of the Bag, Again. . . MEOW!!!
www.apple.com

CNET Review
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old October 24, 2003, 21:23   #2
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:13
So ?
Old October 24, 2003, 21:26   #3
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 11:13
does apple ever plan on reinstating customizability and functionality back into its product? or is like the 1 button mouse now the calling card for eternity?
Old October 24, 2003, 21:35   #4
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 06:13
meanwhile, the rest of the business world is looking at office 2003.

10.3's nice, though. but right now, it's the kinda "oh, that's nice, dear" type deal.
Old October 24, 2003, 21:36   #5
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
meanwhile, the rest of the business world is looking at office 2003.

10.3's nice, though. but right now, it's the kinda "oh, that's nice, dear" type deal.
I personally like my notepad. uninstall office if at all possible.
Old October 24, 2003, 21:37   #6
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:13
You can use your own non 1-button mouse on a mac.
Albert Speer
Old October 24, 2003, 21:39   #7
Q Classic
Emperor

actually, that functionality's been around ever since X came out.

and as for notepad or office...

the business world is looking at it. individuals, well, that's up to their tastes. i personally like office myself, except for powerpoint, frontpage, and access, and this new infopath thing i don't have any use for, while onenote is intriguing, but only if you have a tabletpc.
Old October 24, 2003, 21:41   #8
Spiffor

Except that it sill be even more resource-guzzling, and that it will have a richer vocabulary in the .dic file, what will Office 2003 bring?
Old October 24, 2003, 21:44   #9
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

um, aren't most of these new features considered standard for winXP users?

-iChat? It's just a confrencing program
-switch to another user account without logging out and quitting current applications? I've got that.
-Customize keyboard shortcuts for the system and applications? I've got that too.

Quote:
And we’re not even counting all of them. Apple engineers have spent months fine-tuning Panther, tinkering under the hood to offer you the best operating system in the world, bar none. We think you’ll agree.
What sets Panther apart from XP? What makes it the best, bar none?
Old October 24, 2003, 21:44   #10
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Except that it sill be even more resource-guzzling, and that it will have a richer vocabulary in the .dic file, what will Office 2003 bring?
the cost will be implemented into the cost of ur new computer. so it will always bring bill $$$. beyond that tho, I imagine it will give the american economy jobs. and that will make george happy.
Old October 24, 2003, 21:45   #11
Q Classic
Emperor

for the end user at his home? not much. for a corporate setting? lots, but only if you have other microsoft products that it can integrate into. something called "synergy".

for a corporation to fully use the office 2k3 system (that's what they're calling it these days) to its potential, they have to have the windows server system as well.

there's secure encryption of files (info rights management), secure im, identical outlook2003/owa interfaces, smarttags, native xml support, easy integration/import between office file formats and uploading to collaborative sites using the sharepoint server...

like i said, for the individual, well, it's up to you. i like it, but that won't stop me from using abiword.
Old October 24, 2003, 21:49   #12
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
the cost will be implemented into the cost of ur new computer. so it will always bring bill $$$.
not quite. the only thing microsoft has managed to finagle getting licensing from for all computers is windows, not office. he gets most of his money on office from corporate licensing, not end-user/consumer sales, and virtually nothing from putting it on oem desktops--mostly because when you get it with an oem desktop, you're getting the retail version.

so it won't be implemented into the cost of your new computer, is what i'm saying. only windows is.
Old October 24, 2003, 21:50   #13
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
What sets Panther apart from XP? What makes it the best, bar none?
it's mac, htower. that automatically makes it better.
Old October 24, 2003, 21:51   #14
Spiffor

You seem very knowledgeable about Microsoft's commercial strategy... You work for the dark lord, Q?
Old October 24, 2003, 21:53   #15
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Quote:
the cost will be implemented into the cost of ur new computer. so it will always bring bill $$$.
not quite. the only thing microsoft has managed to finagle getting licensing from for all computers is windows, not office. he gets most of his money on office from corporate licensing, not end-user/consumer sales, and virtually nothing from putting it on oem desktops--mostly because when you get it with an oem desktop, you're getting the retail version.

so it won't be implemented into the cost of your new computer, is what i'm saying. only windows is.
its all an accounting wash anyway. since any cost can be suppositionally funneled through the monopoly(windows).
Old October 24, 2003, 21:55   #16
Q Classic
Emperor

lol. i'm not asher, so no.

i'm a lover of all computers; right now on my short break from school, though, i'm a sysadmin, and we run a windows 2k3 network here. thinking of pushing them from office xp to office 2k3, so i went to the launch event to see what all the hubbub was about.

since we're part of the volume licensing thing, we could download the cds almost two months ago, which is what i did to install it on my home computer; we got a media kit that had the cds last month, so i installed it on my main office workstation to see if it integrated well, and it does. and now it's availible to the general public.

i only know this much about it because i've been working with it for awhile right now. ask me about their plans next year, and i won't have the foggiest.
Old October 24, 2003, 21:59   #17
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
its all an accounting wash anyway. since any cost can be suppositionally funneled through the monopoly(windows).
well, if you want to believe that...

trust me, microsoft gets most of its money on office from corporate licenses. we have to pay through the nose for "volume licensing educational select" rather than the standard one, and most of that cost goes to windows server and office. xp they seem to give away to corporations right now.

and on oems? the computers you buy from dell or compaq or hp don't have office costs integrated--the oems make more money if they sell you a retail copy, and microsoft won't license it for an integrated install, so...
Old October 24, 2003, 22:00   #18
Q Classic
Emperor

hm. one thing i've noticed, office 2k3 does seem to load faster than office xp. could just be me

i do like microsoft right now, though. their latest eula for volume licensing allows for home use rights as well (even though before, one could take it home and they wouldn't be able to do much about it--it's just now it's legal).

Last edited by Q Classic; October 24, 2003 at 22:06.
Old October 24, 2003, 22:25   #19
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Quote:
well, if you want to believe that...

trust me, microsoft gets most of its money on office from corporate licenses. we have to pay through the nose for "volume licensing educational select" rather than the standard one, and most of that cost goes to windows server and office. xp they seem to give away to corporations right now.

and on oems? the computers you buy from dell or compaq or hp don't have office costs integrated--the oems make more money if they sell you a retail copy, and microsoft won't license it for an integrated install, so...
its SOP for microsoft to use profits from its OS to fund its other "startup" programs. why is it at all rational to think that it stops there? or has to? money is liquid. and its infinitely easier to get more profit from ur monopoly than it is from anywhere else.
Old October 24, 2003, 22:39   #20
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
its SOP for microsoft to use profits from its OS to fund its other "startup" programs. why is it at all rational to think that it stops there? or has to? money is liquid. and its infinitely easier to get more profit from ur monopoly than it is from anywhere else.
i see where the problem is. what you said is that the cost of office 2003 would be integrated into all new computers. rather than sounding like what you describe now (correctly, mind you), it sounded like people would be billed for office whenever they bought a new computer, which isn't the case.

profits that microsoft earns can be used anywhere, but to say that you're paying for office when you buy windows is stretching it. not unless you want to also make the claim by saying that going to rent crouching tiger, hidden dragon, you're also paying for 50 cent.

besides, if you think microsoft gets most of its money from $299 copies of xp pro in the shelf, or from selling it through oems, you're sorely mistaken.
Old October 24, 2003, 22:47   #21
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Quote:
i see where the problem is. what you said is that the cost of office 2003 would be integrated into all new computers. rather than sounding like what you describe now (correctly, mind you), it sounded like people would be billed for office whenever they bought a new computer, which isn't the case.

profits that microsoft earns can be used anywhere, but to say that you're paying for office when you buy windows is stretching it. not unless you want to also make the claim by saying that going to rent crouching tiger, hidden dragon, you're also paying for 50 cent.

besides, if you think microsoft gets most of its money from $299 copies of xp pro in the shelf, or from selling it through oems, you're sorely mistaken.
=D. it is a bizare accounting argument. but when a monopoly exists it becomes a lil clearer IMO. crouching would only pay for .50 if it was in the companies interest for some reason(which is a lot harder to think of then in the MS case).
Old October 24, 2003, 22:55   #22
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Oh. How nice.
Old October 24, 2003, 22:57   #23
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
=D. it is a bizare accounting argument. but when a monopoly exists it becomes a lil clearer IMO. crouching would only pay for .50 if it was in the companies interest for some reason(which is a lot harder to think of then in the MS case).
ok, whatever. believe what you want. i don't know how it is where you are, but where i am, when someone says they paid for something, it means they either received a good or a service, or divine (and not-so-divine) retribution got to them.

if you wanted to look at it the way you're describing, you could in essence say that you're paying your own salary. not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's just odd.

btw: office is actually more profitable for microsoft than windows is because of the corporate situation. windows licenses are cheaper than office licenses--the reasoning, i guess, is at redmond they figure that it's better to have everybody using windows (so it's cheap), and then make up the lost money on the stuff they use on top of it (office). it's kinda like how the console gaming industry works: the console's cheap; the money's made on the game licensing.
Old October 24, 2003, 23:17   #24
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 00:13
I must say I like the licensing with Office 2003.

You have home use rights on corprate copies, and acadamic editions are legal for three installs.
Old October 24, 2003, 23:22   #25
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

For being little plastic discs, they sure do have *****y licensing schemes.
Old October 25, 2003, 01:41   #26
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

If all you were buying were little plastic discs, perhaps you meant to buy CD-Rs rather than software.
Old October 25, 2003, 01:43   #27
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

cd-rs cost $0.25 / disc

office costs $150+...definitely about $50+ / disc.

I wasn't complaining so much about the cost as about the liscencing that finagles that you assume complete liability and risk without being able to use the disc as you wish.

Of course, if Microsoft wants to assume liability over all the data I lose every time it crashes, then I'll gladly let it.
Old October 25, 2003, 01:59   #28
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I wasn't complaining so much about the cost as about the liscencing that finagles that you assume complete liability and risk without being able to use the disc as you wish.
Well you don't have to accept the license, do you? You could always... not buy it?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 25, 2003, 02:17   #29
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Or you could join a ring of software pirates, that sounds like the best option to me.
Old October 25, 2003, 02:33   #30
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Well until you get busted .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)