Old October 26, 2003, 23:50   #31
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 06:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
As for signing a Ceasefire, I worry that this might not work and that we will end up sitting across from the Americans refusing to break their treaty.
I also worry that this might not work, but if we don't even try, I guess we will never know for sure. That's all I am asking, that we poll on this and see if we should try it at least.

As for us sitting across from the Americans refusing to break their treaty Why would we do that? If they don't break it, and we have our armies is place, we are a fundamentalist governement as we should break it.

Quote:
Secondly, we have an abysmal reputation, so I doubt that the AI would even meet with us to discuss terms of peace.

It seems an awful tricky suggestion just to remove the American Democracy.
Agreed that with our reputation, and the fact that we are supreme and it is late in the game, the chances of a treaty are slim, but we could try it out at least.

While it is a tricky suggestion just to remoe the American Democracy I fail to see a downside, and let me summarize the outcomes (and by the way, I am suggesting this for both the American and Greek democracies):

a) The we don't poll and we attack all of our opponents with our armies - I do not doubt that we will win eventually

b) We poll and the citizen vote not to attempt this and we attack all of our opponents with our armies - I do not doubt that we will win eventually

c) We poll and the citizens vote to attempt it and we do, but the Americans/Greek either refuse to talk or refuse the cease fire and we attack all of our opponents with our armies - I do not doubt that we will win this eventually

d) We poll and the citizens vote to attempt it and we do, and the Americans/Greek accept the cease fire. Unfortunately they do not sneak attack, the cease fire holds even once we have our armies in place. In this case I propose we attack them (Americans/Greeks or whomever else) with our armies - I do not doubt that we will win this

e) We poll and the citizens vote to attempt it and we do, and the Americans/Greek accept the cease fire. Subsequently they sneak attack, but the democracy does not fall. In this case I propose we attack them (Americans/Greeks or whomever else) with our armies - I do not doubt that we will win this

f) We poll and the citizens vote to attempt it and we do, and the Americans/Greek accept the cease fire. They do sneak attack, and the government falls. In this case I propose we bribe any cities we can, and attack those we can't (Americans/Greeks or whomever else) with our armies - I do not doubt that we will win this

In summary, any outcome results in us attacking, and with minimal effort on our part we have a chance at an alternative. I don't see a downside, and while this informal poll seems to be at 2 against and 1 in favour, I welcome reasons why we would not try it.

/me
Old October 27, 2003, 03:46   #32
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

I will poll thought I must say the general dislike that the AI has for my negotiators makes my job easier.

I just don't see the benefits, why not just steamroll over their last few cities?
Old October 27, 2003, 05:13   #33
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 12:13
Quote:
Well, we need many more railways before just using cannons becomes more feasible.

One thing we can do is to adjust production queues so that everything coincides, cities with low production produce cheap units, and cities with high production produce more expensive ones.
I suggested this in another poll, but my ideas were rejected with overwhelming majority. Only Vice President atawa, who thought we should produce canon only and me who advocated a compromise solution (canon with net production below 6, cavalry otherwise) were against the idea of producing cavalry only. When the poll closed and the votes were summed up, I was left with no option but to adjust the build queues according to the will of the people even though I personally opposed it.
Old October 27, 2003, 05:44   #34
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:13
That just makes you an excellent Minister, ljcvetko, and me a poorly thinking member of the public.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 27, 2003, 19:43   #35
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 12:13
don't worry about it Ljcvetko...things like that happen to all cabinetmembers.

just think of this
"There are only 2 things infinite: Human stupidity and the universe, and of the later I'm not even certain." A.Einstein.
(so we have the right to make stupid decisions )

(glad to see you running as Foreign minister, good luck)

Shade
Old October 27, 2003, 21:09   #36
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by shade
(glad to see you running as Foreign minister, good luck)
I too am pleased to see this, as ljvetko brings new blood to the game, different opinions and seems to be an enthusiastic active minister.

I hope that he, and all others running (including myself) are contested though. The game, the elections, and the discussions are much more interesting with more active citizens (or for that matter even with more semi-active citizens)

/me offers his two cents worth