Old October 25, 2003, 06:07   #1
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 12:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Conquests expansion pack compatibility US/UK/Int. versions?
I was about to order the Conquests expansion pack, but in the process I found out that I can no longer buy it from Amazon.com (I bought Civ3 LE there in ancient times), because they ship within the USA only now. That being a shame aside, it brought up this question:

if I buy this Conquests pack at the UK surrogate store (Amazon.co.uk), will I have problems getting it to work with my original USA-bought Civ3 game?

Does anyone have experience with such issues, for example with PTW?
Old October 25, 2003, 08:39   #2
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 06:14
I've heard that there will only be one version (well for North America and Europe) this time. (Can Jeff or Jesse please confirm this rumor?)

There were major problems getting different countires versions of Civ to work with PTW (major, as in it couldn't be done).
Old October 25, 2003, 13:33   #3
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:14
I heard there is one international version of the game as well, but the 10 days delay between the US and EU release are maybe due to translation, I don't know...

I live in France, but I pre-ordered the game in the US at Gamestop.com. Be warned, however, that you'll pay more in handling / shipping / taxes than you'll pay for the actual game if you buy there.
Old October 26, 2003, 06:06   #4
Grim Legacy
Prince

So there is a good chance that there will be trouble. I guess I'll order at Gamestop then if all else fails. I will not get some lame 'translated' version under any circumstance.

I don't see why Amazon suddenly refuses to send its goods to Europe. Very disappointing.
Old October 26, 2003, 10:35   #5
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Legacy
I don't see why Amazon suddenly refuses to send its goods to Europe. Very disappointing.
It is at least two years old. I couldn't buy the original Civ3 at Amazon. I guess it has to do with legal problems
(warning, when you buy at Gamestop: all costs do not figure in the bill: when UPS comes at your door, you'll have to pay the tolls, which do not figure in the shipping&handling fees; when I bought Civ3 from Gamestop, it cost me 15€ in tolls)
Old October 26, 2003, 13:03   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:14
I seems to me that this is a rather straight forward question with a straight forward answer...but it doesn't bode well that we have not, as of yet, received a definate answer...
Old October 26, 2003, 13:15   #7
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:14
Amazon has started going down hill in the internet ordering industry. Maybe their trying to improve their profit margin or something.
Old October 26, 2003, 14:45   #8
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
I seems to me that this is a rather straight forward question with a straight forward answer...but it doesn't bode well that we have not, as of yet, received a definate answer...
We're in the Civ3-general area, and the Firaxians / Atarians / Breakhawaiians mostly lurk in the Conquests area. Maybe a PM to Jeff Foley would do the trick?
Old October 26, 2003, 14:48   #9
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:14
Well, I've noticed that the same question has been asked in the Conquests forum, but again the question was never really answered by anyone "in the know."
Old October 27, 2003, 07:30   #10
Grim Legacy
Prince

Yeah the uncertainty is annoying. I guess it just forces me to the US version and the heavy shipping & customs associated with it.

Has anyone ordered from EBGames? They are US-based if I'm not mistaken and they do seem to ship worldwide.
Old October 27, 2003, 07:36   #11
Grim Legacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

It is at least two years old. I couldn't buy the original Civ3 at Amazon. I guess it has to do with legal problems
(warning, when you buy at Gamestop: all costs do not figure in the bill: when UPS comes at your door, you'll have to pay the tolls, which do not figure in the shipping&handling fees; when I bought Civ3 from Gamestop, it cost me 15€ in tolls)
Spiffor, both EBGames and Gamestop have some blurb about the creditcard issueing bank to provide 'address verification'... any idea what this entails?